May 30, 1956

J.-Wilfrid Dufresne

Mr. J. Wilfrid Dufresne (Quebec West):

should like to direct a question to the Minister of Justice, but in his absence I would direct the same question to the Prime Minister. Is the Prime Minister aware that a radio commentator and newspaperman by the name of Jean-Louis Gagnon, who has been closely associated with Fred Rose and other well known Canadian communist leaders, is presently one of the main publicity agents of the Liberal party in the province of Quebec and chief editor of the party's official publication in that province? If so, would the Prime Minister at this time, in the interests of the people of Canada, care to comment on the serious accusations which he and every member of this house received a few days ago by registered mail concerning the said Jean-Louis Gagnon?

Sub-subtopic:   ALLEGED ACCUSATIONS AGAINST EDITOR OF LIBERAL PARTY PUBLICATION

Louis Stephen St-Laurent (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Right Hon. L. S. St. Laurent (Prime Minister):

No, Mr. Speaker, I would not care to make any comment.

Inquiries of the Ministry CITIZENSHIP AND IMMIGRATION

Sub-subtopic:   ALLEGED ACCUSATIONS AGAINST EDITOR OF LIBERAL PARTY PUBLICATION

On the orders of the day:

CCF

William Scottie Bryce

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. William Bryce (Selkirk):

I should like to direct a question to the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration. Did the hon. gentleman address a meeting of Indians at a conference yesterday afternoon in Ottawa?

Sub-subtopic:   INDIAN AFFAIRS-INQUIRY AS TO CONFERENCE IN OTTAWA MAY 29

John Whitney Pickersgill (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration)

Hon. J. W. Pickersgill (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration):

The answer is yes, sir.

CCF

William Scottie Bryce

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. Bryce:

Did you say "yes"?

Sub-subtopic:   INDIAN AFFAIRS-INQUIRY AS TO CONFERENCE IN OTTAWA MAY 29

John Whitney Pickersgill (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration)

Mr. Pickersgill:

CCF

William Scottie Bryce

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. Bryce:

Mr. Speaker, arising out of that answer I want to raise a point of privilege. On May 4, 1956, I wrote as follows to the hon. gentleman:

Dear Mr. Pickersgill:

I have had some letters regarding a conference that is to be held in Ottawa very shortly in connection with the Indian affairs branch.

Would you be good enough to inform me of the date of this conference or convention, and who has been invited to it.

Thanking you in anticipation,

Yours sincerely,

W. Scottie Bryce.

I have the hon. gentleman's answer of May 8, in which he says:

I have received your letter of May 4. I have no knowledge, nor has the director of Indian affairs, of any official conference to be held in Ottawa, in the near future, to deal with Indian problems.

Now I find the hon. gentleman addressed that delegation or conference, or whatever you call it. I say, Mr. Speaker, that he deliberately deceived me when I asked for that information. The hon. gentleman has no right to refuse me such information. I again say he deliberately deceived me.

Sub-subtopic:   INDIAN AFFAIRS-INQUIRY AS TO CONFERENCE IN OTTAWA MAY 29

John Whitney Pickersgill (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration)

Mr. Pickersgill:

Mr. Speaker, I think I can disabuse the hon. gentleman very easily. This was an annual meeting of a private organization. It was not an official conference at all, and it had no official connection whatsoever with my department. I was merely asked as a courtesy to come and speak to them, just as I might have been asked to go and speak to a Kiwanis club, and occasionally have been.

Sub-subtopic:   INDIAN AFFAIRS-INQUIRY AS TO CONFERENCE IN OTTAWA MAY 29

Louis-René Beaudoin (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

May I ask the hon. member for Selkirk, because he knows it is against the rules to say that an hon. member of this house has deliberately deceived another hon. member, to take the corrective steps? In the circumstances will the hon. gentleman be good enough to take the corrective steps?

CCF

William Scottie Bryce

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. Bryce:

Mr. Speaker, why should I take back anything that I believe is true?

Sub-subtopic:   INDIAN AFFAIRS-INQUIRY AS TO CONFERENCE IN OTTAWA MAY 29

Louis-René Beaudoin (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

Order. Because the Speaker of the house-

CCF

William Scottie Bryce

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. Bryce:

I am going to stick-

Sub-subtopic:   INDIAN AFFAIRS-INQUIRY AS TO CONFERENCE IN OTTAWA MAY 29

Louis-René Beaudoin (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

Order. The hon. gentleman will take back the expression because the Speaker of the house is asking him to do so, and I understand him always to be respectful of the authority of the Chair.

CCF

William Scottie Bryce

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. Bryce:

Mr. Speaker, I hope you understand that if I withdraw it is for your sake; it is not for the minister's sake. Never did I think I would be subjected to such a thing as that.

Sub-subtopic:   INDIAN AFFAIRS-INQUIRY AS TO CONFERENCE IN OTTAWA MAY 29

Louis-René Beaudoin (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

Order. One should not generate more indignation than one can control-

CCF

George Hugh Castleden

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. Castleden:

Can't help it.

Sub-subtopic:   INDIAN AFFAIRS-INQUIRY AS TO CONFERENCE IN OTTAWA MAY 29

Louis-René Beaudoin (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

When I say something from the chair I would ask hon. members not to interject remarks that at times I do not hear and which I find later in many instances are remarks that are disrespectful, and which I should ask hon. members to withdraw. Now, this must stop.

Gordon Minto Churchill

Mr. Churchill:

Mr. Speaker, do I understand from your remarks that you are now suggesting that offensive words be not used in this house? If so, Mr. Speaker, I would like to know why it is that offensive words used in the past with respect to myself were not drawn to the attention of the house by the Speaker, nor asked to be withdrawn by hon. members who used them?

Sub-subtopic:   INDIAN AFFAIRS-INQUIRY AS TO CONFERENCE IN OTTAWA MAY 29

Louis-René Beaudoin (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

I have no knowledge of the incident to which the hon. member is referring. Is it one of recent date? Would the hon. member be kind enough to explain the incident to which he is referring?

May 30, 1956