May 24, 1956

An hon. Member:

We know what will happen to that.

Topic:   NORTHERN ONTARIO PIPE LINE CORPORATION
Subtopic:   CONSTITUTION OF CROWN COMPANY TO CONSTRUCT PIPE LINE, MAKE SHORT-TERM LOANS, ETC.

Douglas Scott Harkness

Mr. Harkness:

You would have the Liberal steamroller to sustain it.

Topic:   NORTHERN ONTARIO PIPE LINE CORPORATION

William Alfred Robinson (Deputy Speaker and Chair of Committees of the Whole of the House of Commons)

The Chairman:

There have been various appeals to the house this afternoon from my rulings, which have been sustained. A few minutes ago we had a vote under standing order 29 on the motion of the hon. member for Kamloops with regard to the order of speakers at this particular time. I rule now that the point of order raised by the hon. member for Kamloops is not a true point of order in that it reflects to some extent on the vote on his own motion. I so rule.

Edmund Davie Fulton

Mr. Fulton:

I appeal your ruling. I take it that you are ruling that the Leader of the Opposition is not entitled to the floor because you do not see him, as well as on the point of order I raised. I appeal your ruling to the house because I am not content longer to see our liberties raped by the government.

The Chairman:

Order. The hon. member for Kamloops has appealed from my ruling, and I am now having the question reduced

to writing. As I said this afternoon, while it is being so reduced our discussion is suspended.

Owen C. Trainor

Mr. Trainor:

Mr. Chairman, I rise on a question of privilege.

The Chairman:

Order. I explained this afternoon that during this hiatus while I am trying to reduce the question to a form in which it can be presented to the Speaker, I cannot accept any other proceeding.

An hon. Member:

The whole day has been a hiatus.

Owen C. Trainor

Mr. Trainor:

This is a question of privilege.

The Chairman:

I shall be glad to hear the hon. member at the proper time. At this moment I must reduce this question to writing.

Owen C. Trainor

Mr. Trainor:

Is a question of privilege not presentable at this time?

The Chairman:

I shall hear the hon. member at the proper time.

Owen C. Trainor

Mr. Trainor:

Can you indicate to me when is the proper time?

The Chairman:

I must deal with one matter at a time, and I must reduce this question to writing at the request of the hon. member for Kamloops.

Edmund Davie Fulton

Mr. Fulton:

But if the request relates to the appeal-

The Chairman:

I can only do one thing at once.

Edmund Davie Fulton

Mr. Fulton:

Mr. Chairman, before you leave the chair, on a question of privilege I request you to read the report to the committee. The reason I make that request is that the last time a report was made to the house and there was an attempt made to question the completeness and accuracy of the report, Mr. Speaker told us that the question should have been raised in the committee and that he was bound by the terms of the report he received. That made it obvious that the only occasion upon which we have any right to discuss the contents of this report is at this time. I therefore request, sir, that you read the report you intend to make.

Donald Methuen Fleming

Mr. Fleming:

Mr. Chairman, I request that in the report you be good enough to refer to the passage quoted earlier from Beau-chesne's third edition, in regard to which you spoke of the necessity of hearing the pro and the con of the debate, and that you also state in your report that the only person you saw today on the first section of the bill was the Minister of Trade and Commerce, the only person you saw on the second section was the Minister of Trade and Commerce,

Northern Ontario Pipe Line Corporation and the only person you saw on the third section was the Minister of Trade and Commerce; and that you report therefore that you have reduced the rights of the opposition and the Leader of the Opposition to a nullity and that you have overridden the plain provisions of the rules of this house, which require-

Some hon. Members:

Order.

Donald Methuen Fleming

Mr. Fleming:

-that the house hear the pro and con of debate.

May 24, 1956