May 23, 1956

REQUEST FOR STATEMENT ON EXPORT OF SABRE AIRCRAFT

On the orders of the day:

Gordon Minto Churchill

Mr. Gordon Churchill (Winnipeg South Centre):

Mr. Speaker, I should like to ask the Prime Minister if the government has under consideration any requests from Latin American countries other than Colombia for Sabre jet fighter aircraft?

Topic:   LATIN AMERICA
Subtopic:   REQUEST FOR STATEMENT ON EXPORT OF SABRE AIRCRAFT

Louis Stephen St-Laurent (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Right Hon. L. S. St. Laurent (Prime Minister):

Not at this time.

Topic:   LATIN AMERICA
Subtopic:   REQUEST FOR STATEMENT ON EXPORT OF SABRE AIRCRAFT

PRIVILEGE

MR. NICKLE REQUEST FOR MEETING OF COMMITTEE ON PRIVILEGES AND ELECTIONS

On the orders of the day:

Carl Olof Nickle

Mr. Carl O. Nickle (Calgary South):

Mr. Speaker, I rise on a question of personal privilege. In view of the question raised this morning as to my eligibility to vote on the measure before the house at that time, I rise to request that if possible the committee on

privileges and elections be convened to investigate the matter in order that any remaining doubt as to my integrity and lack of personal financial interest in the matter may be fully cleared away.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE
Subtopic:   MR. NICKLE REQUEST FOR MEETING OF COMMITTEE ON PRIVILEGES AND ELECTIONS

Louis-René Beaudoin (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

The committee on privileges and elections is a standing committee of this house. No doubt the chairman of that committee has taken note of the hon. gentleman's request and after consulting with him and others who are members of the committee whatever arrangements are required might be made.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE

MR. STARR REFERENCE TO ARTICLE IN "GLOBE AND MAIL" OF MAY 21

On the orders of the day:

Michael Starr

Mr. Michael Starr (Ontario):

Mr. Speaker, I rise on a question of privilege which has to do with an article which appeared in the Globe and Mail of Monday, May 21, 1956. It is a short article entitled "How to be Very, Very Audible" and it reads:

Members of parliament have to be eye-catching if they want to speak to the house.

It is this quality, rather than political affiliation, which determines an M.P.'s voice in national affairs, Speaker of the House Beaudoin explained Saturday.

Addressing the Ukrainian national federation's annual convention in Toronto, Mr. Beaudoin denied that his deputy, William Robinson, neglected the rights of opposition speakers in the great pipe line debate.

"It is a question of who catches your eye, he said. "We weren't trying to be partial."

Mr. Speaker, I was present at that meeting along with other hon. members of the house and I heard your speech with a great deal of interest. I wish to say at this time that I did not hear you make any such statement in your speech and I therefore assert that the statements in this article attributed to you are not true.

Topic:   MR. STARR REFERENCE TO ARTICLE IN "GLOBE AND MAIL" OF MAY 21
CCF

Frederick Samuel Zaplitny

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. F. S. Zaplitny (Dauphin):

Mr. Speaker, I rise on the same question of privilege merely to confirm what the hon. member has just said. I was present on that occasion and heard you make a thoughtful, courteous and informative speech which did not contain any of the words reported in the Globe and Mail.

Topic:   MR. STARR REFERENCE TO ARTICLE IN "GLOBE AND MAIL" OF MAY 21

Charles Edward Rea

Mr. Charles E. Rea (Spadina):

Mr. Speaker, I was present at the same meeting and I concur in what hon. members have said.

Topic:   MR. STARR REFERENCE TO ARTICLE IN "GLOBE AND MAIL" OF MAY 21

Louis-René Beaudoin (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

I want to thank the hon. members who have come to my rescue, so to speak. It reminds me of an article which I read in a book on procedure which stated that if the Speaker were faced with any difficulty members would rise immediately to his defence. This has been done in the true traditional form.

Topic:   MR. STARR REFERENCE TO ARTICLE IN "GLOBE AND MAIL" OF MAY 21

QUESTIONS PASSED AS ORDERS FOR RETURNS

CANADIAN FINE ARTS

FEDERAL CONTRIBUTIONS

SC

Mr. Holowach

Social Credit

1. What amounts have been contributed by the federal government to individuals, institutions or organizations, for the promotion of drama, music or other fine arts, during the past five years?

2. Has any contribution ever been made during this period in the nature of grants, travelling or other expenses outside of Canada for such a purpose?

3. What is the total amount spent during the years, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, and to date in 1956, for acquisition of works of art (a) outside Canada; (b) in Canada?

Topic:   CANADIAN FINE ARTS