March 20, 1956

Lester Bowles Pearson (Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Hon. L. B. Pearson (Secretary of State for External Affairs):

Mr. Speaker, the hon. member was good enough to give me notice of this question. The discussions of the United Nations disarmament subcommittee, of which Canada is a member together with France, the United Kingdom, the United States and the Soviet union, were resumed yesterday in London. As the house knows, the subcommittee meets in private in accordance with the recommendation of the United Nations general assembly. In view of this, I do not feel that it would be appropriate for me to comment on these highly important and delicate negotiations at this very early stage in the negotiations.

I can say that western delegations have given earnest consideration to the various aspects of this problem during preliminary discussions which took place during last week, and that there seemed to be substantial agreement on the measures which should be taken as a first step in a disarmament program. I do not think it would be appropriate for me to add to this for the time being.

Together with the other western members, Canada will do its utmost to widen the area of agreement which may already exist between the east and the west on this vital issue in order to bring about some measure, at least, of effective disarmament which would contribute to diminishing international tension and by the same token facilitate the settlement of other outstanding issues. Having said that, Mr. Speaker, I think I should add that a disarmament scheme on paper which did not include effective methods of

control and supervision would not, I think, contribute to these desirable ends.

During the last twelve months a number of significant and constructive proposals have been made in this field, and the subcommittee will now be offered the challenging task of finding whether it will be possible to develop proposals which will be generally acceptable. The Canadian delegation at the London meeting will do its best as a member of the subcommittee to help bring about such agreement.

Topic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Sub-subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO CANADA'S POSITION ON ANGLO-FRENCH DISARMAMENT PROPOSAL

On the orders of the day:

Howard Charles Green

Mr. Howard C. Green (Vancouver-Quadra):

I should like to direct a question to the Minister of Northern Affairs and National Resources. Vancouver papers reaching here over the week end report Premier Bennett as stating that the minister is to confer with him shortly about the development of the Columbia river. Is this so, and could the minister give the house a statement? Incidentally, it would be helpful if he could state whether the dominion is prepared to negotiate on the basis of a joint investment program.

Topic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Sub-subtopic:   REPORTED CONFERENCE ON DEVELOPMENT OF COLUMBIA RIVER

Jean Lesage (Minister of Northern Affairs and National Resources)

Hon. Jean Lesage (Minister of Northern Affairs and National Resources):

Mr. Speaker, I wish to thank the hon. member for having given me notice of his question. When Premier Bennett was in Ottawa on Friday, March 9, I had a conversation with him. Among other things, water problems of common concern were mentioned. We agreed that it would be a goodi thing to sit down together and discuss such problems. Premier Bennett then invited me to visit him in Victoria. I told him it was possible that I would have to go to the Pacific coast later this spring and that I might visit him then with some of my advisers. I may add that the question of the joint development of hydro power on the Columbia river as such, which has been raised by the hon. member, was not mentioned.

Topic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Sub-subtopic:   REPORTED CONFERENCE ON DEVELOPMENT OF COLUMBIA RIVER

Howard Charles Green

Mr. Green:

Is the government prepared to negotiate on the basis of a joint investment program?

Topic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Sub-subtopic:   REPORTED CONFERENCE ON DEVELOPMENT OF COLUMBIA RIVER

Jean Lesage (Minister of Northern Affairs and National Resources)

Mr. Lesage:

Mr. Speaker, I have no comment to add at this time.

Topic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Sub-subtopic:   REPORTED CONFERENCE ON DEVELOPMENT OF COLUMBIA RIVER

OLD AGE PENSIONS

ONTARIO

On the orders of the day:

Gordon Knapman Fraser

Mr. G. K. Fraser (Peterborough):

I should like to address a question to the Minister

of National Health and Welfare, and it is this. Does the federal government pay any portion of the new Ontario $20 old age supplemental allowance to those in need? If so, how much?

Topic:   OLD AGE PENSIONS
Subtopic:   ONTARIO
Sub-subtopic:   SUPPLEMENTAL ALLOWANCE TO THOSE IN NEED

Paul Joseph James Martin (Minister of National Health and Welfare)

Hon. Paul Martin (Minister of National Health and Welfare):

Mr. Speaker, I am not sure that this is the kind of question that you think proper on the orders of the day.

Topic:   OLD AGE PENSIONS
Subtopic:   ONTARIO
Sub-subtopic:   SUPPLEMENTAL ALLOWANCE TO THOSE IN NEED

Louis-René Beaudoin (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

The minister has the right to insist that this question be placed on the order paper. He does not have to look at me. All he has to do is say, "I wish this question to be placed on the order paper". That is all he needs to do.

Topic:   OLD AGE PENSIONS
Subtopic:   ONTARIO
Sub-subtopic:   SUPPLEMENTAL ALLOWANCE TO THOSE IN NEED

Paul Joseph James Martin (Minister of National Health and Welfare)

Mr. Martin:

Mr. Speaker, as my hon. friend knows the full details of the supplemental allowance to which he directs my attention have not been made public, but I understand it is restricted to a limited number of persons. The federal government pays all of the $40 a month to those 70 and over. I think my hon. friend is aware that we pay half of the old age assistance program to the province of Ontario as well as to all other provinces.

Topic:   OLD AGE PENSIONS
Subtopic:   ONTARIO
Sub-subtopic:   SUPPLEMENTAL ALLOWANCE TO THOSE IN NEED

Frank Exton Lennard

Mr. Lennard:

Up to $40 a month.

Topic:   OLD AGE PENSIONS
Subtopic:   ONTARIO
Sub-subtopic:   SUPPLEMENTAL ALLOWANCE TO THOSE IN NEED

Paul Joseph James Martin (Minister of National Health and Welfare)

Mr. Martin:

In other words, well over 90 per cent of the old age assistance and old age security in Canada is paid by the taxpayers through the federal government.

Topic:   OLD AGE PENSIONS
Subtopic:   ONTARIO
Sub-subtopic:   SUPPLEMENTAL ALLOWANCE TO THOSE IN NEED

Gordon Knapman Fraser

Mr. Fraser (Peterborough):

Mr. Speaker, the minister went all around the mulberry bush, but he never answered my question.

ILater:!

On the orders of the day:

Topic:   OLD AGE PENSIONS
Subtopic:   ONTARIO
Sub-subtopic:   SUPPLEMENTAL ALLOWANCE TO THOSE IN NEED

Gordon Knapman Fraser

Mr. Fraser (Peterborough):

May I ask the

Minister of National Health and Welfare if he could just say yes or no to the question I asked?

Topic:   OLD AGE PENSIONS
Subtopic:   ONTARIO
Sub-subtopic:   SUPPLEMENTAL ALLOWANCE TO THOSE IN NEED

Paul Joseph James Martin (Minister of National Health and Welfare)

Mr. Martin:

Would my hon. friend repeat his question?

Topic:   OLD AGE PENSIONS
Subtopic:   ONTARIO
Sub-subtopic:   SUPPLEMENTAL ALLOWANCE TO THOSE IN NEED

Gordon Knapman Fraser

Mr. Fraser (Peterborough):

The question is, does the federal government pay any portion of the new Ontario old age supplementary allowance of $20 for those in need?

Topic:   OLD AGE PENSIONS
Subtopic:   ONTARIO
Sub-subtopic:   SUPPLEMENTAL ALLOWANCE TO THOSE IN NEED

Paul Joseph James Martin (Minister of National Health and Welfare)

Mr. Martin:

If my hon. friend is seeking to have me say something against a provincial government, he is mistaken. I believe the way to proceed in these matters is by co-operation with all provincial governments.

Topic:   OLD AGE PENSIONS