February 7, 1955

CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAYS

REPORTED REPLACEMENT OP MANAGEMENT PERSONNEL

George Carlyle Marler (Minister of Transport)

Hon. George C. Marler (Minister of Transport):

Mr. Speaker, on Friday last the hon.

member for Winnipeg North Centre (Mr. Knowles) asked a question regarding an item in the Winnipeg Free Press attributing to Mr. F. H. Keefe, general manager of the Canadian National western region, certain remarks about reductions in the railway budget. Later on that same day the hon. member took the opportunity afforded by the debate on the address to comment on the statements attributed to Mr. Keefe.

I shall not reply to the comments of the hon. member but in fairness to Mr. Keefe and the management I think I should draw the attention of hon. members to the dispatch appearing in Saturday's papers in which Mr. Keefe flatly denies that at any time in his remarks did he mention Mr. Gordon or the management at Montreal. In his statement to the press, as reported by the Montreal Gazette of February 5, Mr. Keefe said he had intended to indicate that recent layoffs had been the result of falling traffic and that if business continued to decline other economies might be necessary. The Gazette report goes on to say that Mr. Keefe stated he had added in a jocular way, the occasion being a social banquet, some reference to his own job being at stake unless expenses were kept down. No statement was made by the president of the railway such as attributed to him in the Winnipeg Free Press report.

It will be of interest, I think, if I remind the house that in the dispatch containing Mr. Keefe's denial there was also a statement by Mr. J. R. McMillan, vice president of the railway in Winnipeg, that while avenues of economy are constantly being studied the present outlook is for traffic to continue at its present volume, and I particularly mention his opinion as reported in the same dispatch that no further staff layoffs are anticipated.

Topic:   CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAYS
Subtopic:   REPORTED REPLACEMENT OP MANAGEMENT PERSONNEL

AIR TRANSPORT

REPORTED SALE OF QUEEN CHARLOTTE AIRLINES- RECOVERY OF SUBSIDY

On the orders of the day:

John Borden Hamilton

Mr. John B. Hamilton (York West):

Mr. Speaker, I should like to direct a question to the Minister of Transport. Is the minister aware that Queen Charlotte Airlines of Vancouver has received an offer or offers of purchase substantially in excess of the asset value of the company, and is it the government's intention to attempt to recover part or all of the quarter sf a million dollar subsidy paid to the said company in the last two years if the sale transaction is consummated?

Topic:   AIR TRANSPORT
Subtopic:   REPORTED SALE OF QUEEN CHARLOTTE AIRLINES- RECOVERY OF SUBSIDY

George Carlyle Marler (Minister of Transport)

Hon. George C. Marler (Minister of Transport):

Mr. Speaker, I shall have to take the hon. member's question as a notice and reply to it tomorrow.

Topic:   AIR TRANSPORT
Subtopic:   REPORTED SALE OF QUEEN CHARLOTTE AIRLINES- RECOVERY OF SUBSIDY

PRIVATE BILLS

HURON AND ERIE MORTGAGE CORPORATION

Jay Waldo Monteith

Mr. J. W. Monteith (for Mr. Mitchell, London) moved

the second reading of Bill No. 9, respecting the Huron and Erie Mortgage Corporation.

Topic:   PRIVATE BILLS
Subtopic:   HURON AND ERIE MORTGAGE CORPORATION

Motion agreed to, bill read the second time and referred to the standing committee on banking and commerce.

SECOND READINGS-SENATE BILLS

John William Gordon Hunter

Mr. John Hunter (Parkdale) moved

that the following bills be read the second time:

Bill No. 10, for the relief of Daisy Ruth Kirk Stanistreet.-Mr. Hunter.

Bill No. 11, for the relief of Irene Christina Edwards Mackay.-Mr. Hunter.

Bill No. 12, for the relief of Barbara Elinor Richardson Jones.-Mr. Hunter.

Bill No. 13, for the relief of Wira Pushkar Tereshtshenko.-Mr. Hunter.

Bill No. 14, for the relief of Stella (Stephania) Burnatowska Holowaty. - Mr. Hunter.

Bill No. 15, for the relief of Harry Evert Finlayson.-Mr. Hunter.

Bill No. 16, for the relief of George James Nangreaves.-Mr. Hunter.

Private Bills-Divorce

Bill No. 17, for the relief of Carmela Lanza Morash.-Mr. Hunter.

Bill No. 18, for the relief of Meyer Francis Doyle.-Mr. Hunter.

Bill No. 19, for the relief of Julia Mary Collen Dwyer Rose.-Mr. Hunter.

Bill No. 20, for the relief of Bela Koschitza Brawerman.-Mr. Hunter.

Topic:   SECOND READINGS-SENATE BILLS
CCF

Robert Ross (Roy) Knight

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. R. R. Knight (Saskatoon):

Mr. Speaker, I am well aware that since this is Monday any discussion of these divorce bills would cut down the time to be devoted to private members' resolutions. Therefore I propose to say nothing in detail about these particular bills but I do want to express the hope that some other method may be found for dealing with these divorce bills than having them come before this house.

Since these bills concern only two provinces may I offer the suggestion that hon. members from those provinces-

Topic:   SECOND READINGS-SENATE BILLS

Louis-René Beaudoin (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

May I interrupt the hon. member to remind him that we are at the beginning of a new session. During previous sessions we have had debates as to how these divorce bills shall be dealt with on second reading. It being the beginning of a new session perhaps one may be permitted to adopt a new resolution. I have resolved that no matter how much latitude I may be inclined to give I shall not allow any discussion except that which relates to the principle of the bill. I do not think hon. members will find that they are referring to the principle of these bills when they stand up and offer suggestions as to how they should be dealt with. That is not the manner in which this can be brought about.

If the hon. member wishes to submit by way of a bill some other method by which these divorce bills can be dealt with, he will have ample opportunity to incorporate whatever suggestions he may have to offer. But I do not think it is in order on the second reading of these bills to make such suggestions, and I would like the hon. member's co-operation in respect to this point.

Topic:   SECOND READINGS-SENATE BILLS
CCF

Robert Ross (Roy) Knight

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. Knight:

Mr. Speaker, I quite agree with what you have said. I am quite aware also that I have the right to go into the details of these bills. I could go into them thoroughly and keep the house for at least the next 40 minutes. But that is something that I do not want to do. Also I could have asked that each bill be called and dealt with separately, but that is something which I think would be completely wrong. I may have only 30 seconds left now, but the suggestion I was going to make would have taken but 30 seconds. However, that is your ruling and I bow to it.

[Mr. Hunter.)

Topic:   SECOND READINGS-SENATE BILLS

Louis-René Beaudoin (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

The hon. member may do whatever is in order no matter how long it may take, but he cannot do anything that is not in order.

Topic:   SECOND READINGS-SENATE BILLS
CCF

Robert Ross (Roy) Knight

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. Knight:

It would not be in order to suggest that the members of parliament who are from those provinces might meet and consider this matter and call in consultation interested people and devise some method agreeable to those provinces?

Topic:   SECOND READINGS-SENATE BILLS

Louis-René Beaudoin (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. Speaker:

I am sorry; the hon. member has asked a question. My reply is that it is not in order. Shall these bills be read a second time now?

Topic:   SECOND READINGS-SENATE BILLS