February 4, 1955

Some hon. Members:

Question.

Topic:   CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAYS
Subtopic:   REPORTED REPLACEMENT OF MANAGEMENT PERSONNEL
CCF

Stanley Howard Knowles (Whip of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation)

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. Knowles:

Will the management carry out further lay-offs in order to prevent themselves from being replaced?

Topic:   CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAYS
Subtopic:   REPORTED REPLACEMENT OF MANAGEMENT PERSONNEL

George Carlyle Marler (Minister of Transport)

Mr. Marler:

I shall make the appropriate

inquiries in order to give my hon. friend the appropriate answer.

Topic:   CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAYS
Subtopic:   REPORTED REPLACEMENT OF MANAGEMENT PERSONNEL

NATIONAL REVENUE

LOCATION OF INCOME TAX OFFICES IN BRITISH COLUMBIA

On the orders of the day:

CCF

Owen Lewis Jones

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. O. L. Jones (Okanagan Boundary):

Mr. Speaker, I should like to ask the Minister of National Revenue if the Department of National Revenue has decided to open new income tax offices in the interior of British Columbia. If so, in what towns will the said offices be located and when will they be opened for service?

Topic:   NATIONAL REVENUE
Subtopic:   LOCATION OF INCOME TAX OFFICES IN BRITISH COLUMBIA

James Joseph McCann (Minister of National Revenue)

Hon. J. J. McCann (Minister of National Revenue):

Mr. Speaker, the hon. member

was good enough to give me notice of his question. In reply to the first part, it will

Inquiries of the Ministry not be new offices, but the answer is yes, one office. As to the town in which said office will be located, that has not yet been decided as we want to give the public the best possible services in the best possible location.

Topic:   NATIONAL REVENUE
Subtopic:   LOCATION OF INCOME TAX OFFICES IN BRITISH COLUMBIA

FREIGHT ASSISTANCE

REFERENCE TO STATEMENT BY MINISTER OF FISHERIES

On the orders of the day:

SC

Alexander Bell Patterson

Social Credit

Mr. A. B. Patterson (Fraser Valley):

Mr. Speaker, I should like to direct a question to the Minister of Agriculture, notice of which I have sent him. In view of newspaper reports that the Minister of Fisheries (Mr. Sinclair) was requesting that the reduction in freight rate assistance on feed grain being shipped to British Columbia be carried out on a graduated basis, and in view of previous representations made by the member for New Westminster (Mr. Hahn) with respect to this same question, would the minister state whether or not he is contemplating revising his previous statement regarding this matter.

Topic:   FREIGHT ASSISTANCE
Subtopic:   REFERENCE TO STATEMENT BY MINISTER OF FISHERIES

James Garfield Gardiner (Minister of Agriculture)

Right Hon. J. G. Gardiner (Minister of Agriculture):

Mr. Speaker, the hon. member was good enough to send me a copy of his question. I think of necessity my reply will have to be somewhat along the line of the reply given a few moments ago. I have not been in the habit of communicating with the Minister of Fisheries or any other minister of the government through the press. I have not seen the report and do not know if it reports the minister correctly. I have been in communication with the minister by telephone and wire and no change has taken place in the decision reached as a result. If any such changes are made I shall announce them to the house in due course.

Topic:   FREIGHT ASSISTANCE
Subtopic:   REFERENCE TO STATEMENT BY MINISTER OF FISHERIES

NATIONAL DEFENCE

GAGETOWN CAMP

On the orders of the day:

Alfred Johnson Brooks

Mr. A. J. Brooks (Royal):

Mr. Speaker, I should like to direct a question to the Minister of National Defence. Is the minister aware that a considerable number of former owners of property in the Gagetown camp area have not agreed to settlement of their claims and consequently have not received payment for property taken over by the department, nor have arbitration proceedings or legal action been started? In consideration of the serious financial position in which these people are

846 HOUSE OF

Inquiries of the Ministry placed as a result, will the department arrange for part payment of these claims pending future settlement?

Topic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE
Subtopic:   GAGETOWN CAMP
Sub-subtopic:   SETTLEMENT OF PROPERTY

Ralph Osborne Campney (Minister of National Defence)

Hon. R. O. Campney (Minister of National Defence):

Mr. Speaker, I wish to thank the hon. member for giving me notice of his question. I find that out of 1,630 claims involved in the Gagetown expropriation, over 92 per cent have been settled amicably, and without resort to litigation-which I think constitutes a very excellent record on the part of the departmental officers.

Of the claims where settlement is still uncompleted, some are delayed because the owners or heirs cannot be found, or because the owners or heirs of estates cannot agree as to their own idea of price, or for various other technical reasons.

I might say that expropriation proceedings are about to be initiated in a few cases. Cash advances have been made on a number of occasions to persons whose property has not yet been settled for, where need has been demonstrated, I was of the view that all such cases had been taken care of, but if the hon. member knows of any persons who are suffering hardship among the few that are left, and will give me their names, I shall be pleased to have such cases looked into.

Topic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE