June 18, 1954

SECRETARY OF STATE-REPLY TO QUESTIONS ASKED ON ESTIMATES

On the orders of the day:

John Whitney Pickersgill (Secretary of State of Canada)

Hon. J. W. Pickersgill (Secretary of Slate):

Mr. Speaker, the other evening when my estimates were under discussion, I undertook with the hon. member for St. Paul's (Mr. Michener) and the hon. member for Winnipeg North Centre (Mr. Knowles) to reply to certain questions about the civil service commission about which I did not have information available at that time. I think the easiest way for me to reply, if you will permit me to do so, Mr. Speaker, is to read a letter I have received from the chairman of the civil service commission. It replies to both questions and I think that it contains practically all the information on the subject that can be put succinctly. The letter reads as follows:

June 17, 1954.

Dear Mr. Pickersgill,

With reference to the questions of Mr. Michener and Mr. Knowles last evening as to the number of "civil servants, in round figures, for whose appointment the civil service commission is responsible, and the total payroll of that group of civil servants", as well as "the balance of the payroll", and also "the number of permanent and temporary civil servants", the latest available information as contained in a memorandum of the dominion bureau of statistics for the month of February, 1954, shows that in the "classified" positions of the service, which are almost entirely composed of the appointments under the jurisdiction of the civil service commission, there were 135,884 employees with a payroll for the month of $34,819,104. Of these 76,938 were temporary and 58,946 were permanent employees. The comparative figure for 1949 was 123,924, of whom 86,015 were temporary and 37,909 were permanent.

In the remaining section of the service there were 22,245 prevailing rate employees, 10,861 casuals and 1,770 ships' crews, with a payroll for the month of February, 1954, of $6,850,943.

Yours faithfully,

C. H. Bland,

Chairman.

Topic:   SECRETARY OF STATE-REPLY TO QUESTIONS ASKED ON ESTIMATES

EXTERNAL AFFAIRS

GENEVA CONFERENCE

On the orders of the day:

CCF

Stanley Howard Knowles (Whip of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation)

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. Stanley Knowles (Winnipeg North Centre):

Mr. Speaker, I wish to direct a question to the Secretary of State for External 83276-392J

Affairs. In view of the turn of events in France and the possible bearing of that turn on the discussions with regard to Indo-China and other international problems, is the Secretary of State for External Affairs considering returning to Geneva?

Topic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Subtopic:   GENEVA CONFERENCE
Sub-subtopic:   ATTENDANCE BY MINISTER

Lester Bowles Pearson (Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Hon. L. B. Pearson (Secretary of State for External Affairs):

No, Mr. Speaker, I have not given consideration to that matter. The Korean part of the talks, as the hon. gentleman knows, has been completed, and that is the part of the conference with which we are most directly concerned. I do not think it would serve any useful purpose if I returned to Geneva for the continuation of the IndoChina talks.

Topic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Subtopic:   GENEVA CONFERENCE
Sub-subtopic:   ATTENDANCE BY MINISTER

REPORTED REQUEST BY UNITED STATES TO SEARCH SHIPS OF FOREIGN REGISTRY

On the orders of the day:

CCF

Colin Cameron

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. Colin Cameron (Nanaimo):

I should like to direct a question to the Secretary of State for External Affairs. I have not been able to give him any notice but he will understand why when I ask my question. Has the Canadian government received any representations from the United States government with regard to the reported demand or request of the United States authorities to search ships of foreign registry?

Topic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Subtopic:   REPORTED REQUEST BY UNITED STATES TO SEARCH SHIPS OF FOREIGN REGISTRY

Lester Bowles Pearson (Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Hon. L. B. Pearson (Secretary of State for External Affairs):

No request of that kind has been addressed to the Canadian government by the United States government.

Topic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS

AIRPORTS

YORKTON

On the orders of the day:

CCF

George Hugh Castleden

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. G. H. Caslleden (Yorkton):

Mr. Speaker, I wish to direct a question to the Minister of Transport or, in his absence, to his parliamentary assistant. What steps have been taken to have repairs made to the runways at the Yorkton airport where they have beep rendered unsafe by the recent rains?

Topic:   AIRPORTS
Subtopic:   YORKTON
Sub-subtopic:   REPAIRS TO RUNWAYS

J. G. Léopold Langlois (Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Transport)

Mr. L. Langlois (Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Transport):

Mr. Speaker, I am grateful to the hon. member for having given me notice of this question. I am informed that the runways at Yorkton airport suffered some damage during the spring break-up and that T.C.A. had to suspend its service at that

Inquiries of the Ministry point pending the necessary repairs. I understand that these repairs have now been completed and that the service has been resumed.

I wish to add that our engineers are at present carrying out a complete survey in order to ascertain whether further repairs are needed. As soon as a report is received, everything possible will be done to carry out this year whatever additional repairs might be deemed to be necessary.

Topic:   AIRPORTS