March 18, 1953

On the orders of the day:

Walter Gilbert Dinsdale

Mr. W. G. Dinsdale (Brandon):

I should like to direct a question to the Secretary of State. Did the coronation committee give consideration to having representation at the coronation from the Canadian air force association? If not, why not?

3056 HOUSE OF

Inquiries of the Ministry

Topic:   THE CORONATION
Subtopic:   REPRESENTATION FROM CANADIAN AIR FORCE
Sub-subtopic:   ALLOTMENT OF SEATS TO CANADA

Frederick Gordon Bradley (Secretary of State of Canada)

Hon. F. G. Bradley (Secretary of State):

I have had no notice from the hon. member of his intention to ask this question. I shall be glad to take his question as notice and give the matter consideration.

Topic:   THE CORONATION
Subtopic:   REPRESENTATION FROM CANADIAN AIR FORCE
Sub-subtopic:   ALLOTMENT OF SEATS TO CANADA

Walter Gilbert Dinsdale

Mr. Dinsdale:

I sent notice.

Topic:   THE CORONATION
Subtopic:   REPRESENTATION FROM CANADIAN AIR FORCE
Sub-subtopic:   ALLOTMENT OF SEATS TO CANADA

John George Diefenbaker

Mr. Diefenbaker:

May I ask a question arising out of the question asked of the Secretary of State? Is the Prime Minister (Mr. St. Laurent) in a position to say how many seats have been allotted to Canadians during the coronation? I ask the question because some doubt has been expressed in London as to whether or not Canada has taken up those allotted to her.

Topic:   THE CORONATION
Subtopic:   REPRESENTATION FROM CANADIAN AIR FORCE
Sub-subtopic:   ALLOTMENT OF SEATS TO CANADA

Louis Stephen St-Laurent (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Mr. St. Laurent:

I would have to get that information. I know that several days ago some of the seats that had been available for allotment by Canadian authorities in the Abbey had not been applied for, and some of those along the procession route were still available, but I could not tell the hon. gentleman at this time, without getting the latest information, what the numbers are.

Topic:   THE CORONATION
Subtopic:   REPRESENTATION FROM CANADIAN AIR FORCE
Sub-subtopic:   ALLOTMENT OF SEATS TO CANADA

COMPOSITION OP PERSONNEL OF ARMED FORCES CONTINGENT

On the orders of the day:

George Randolph Pearkes

Mr. G. R. Pearkes (Nanaimo):

May I ask

the Minister of National Defence a question. In view of numerous statements which have appeared in the press regarding the armed forces' contribution to the coronation contingent, can the minister inform the members, perhaps not today but in the near future, as to the [composition and number of personnel of the armed forces contingent which will be going to the coronation?

Topic:   COMPOSITION OP PERSONNEL OF ARMED FORCES CONTINGENT

Brooke Claxton (Minister of National Defence)

Hon. Brooke Claxton (Minister of National Defence):

Mr. Speaker, that has already been fully announced in detail in the press, and I do not know that I should delay the house further by announcing it orally here.

I am quite prepared to do so now, but it would be taking up the time of the house.

Topic:   COMPOSITION OP PERSONNEL OF ARMED FORCES CONTINGENT

An hon. Member:

It is not urgent.

Topic:   COMPOSITION OP PERSONNEL OF ARMED FORCES CONTINGENT

George Randolph Pearkes

Mr. Pearkes:

May I ask a supplementary question? Are the chiefs of staff attending the coronation?

Topic:   COMPOSITION OP PERSONNEL OF ARMED FORCES CONTINGENT

Brooke Claxton (Minister of National Defence)

Mr. Claxton:

No, sir. I would not like to appear discourteous to the hon. member for Nanaimo. In view of the interest of hon. members, if he puts that question to me, I might take his question as notice and answer it in writing tomorrow so that we have it on the record.

Topic:   COMPOSITION OP PERSONNEL OF ARMED FORCES CONTINGENT

MUNICIPAL COUNCILS

RIGHT TO RENT PUBLIC HALLS

On the orders of the day:

CCF

Joseph William Noseworthy

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. J. W. Noseworihy (York South):

should like to direct a question to the Minister of Justice. Will the minister comment on a statement reported in yesterday's Telegram to the effect that a justice department official said he believed municipal councils could do what they liked about renting public halls, and gave as his reason for that belief-

Topic:   MUNICIPAL COUNCILS
Subtopic:   RIGHT TO RENT PUBLIC HALLS

Elie Beauregard (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. Speaker:

Order. Has the hon. member sent the statement to the minister?

Topic:   MUNICIPAL COUNCILS
Subtopic:   RIGHT TO RENT PUBLIC HALLS
CCF

Joseph William Noseworthy

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. Noseworthy:

I have sent the minister a copy, Mr. Speaker.

Topic:   MUNICIPAL COUNCILS
Subtopic:   RIGHT TO RENT PUBLIC HALLS

Elie Beauregard (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. Speaker:

The minister may feel inclined to comment.

Topic:   MUNICIPAL COUNCILS