December 16, 1952

ROYAL CANADIAN AIR FORCE

GOOSE BAY STATION

Walter Edward Harris (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration)

Hon. W. E. Harris (Acting Secretary of State for External Affairs):

I beg leave to table copies of notes exchanged by the Acting Secretary of State for External Affairs and the United States ambassador on December 5. The notes constitute a lease to the United States of certain parcels of land within the Royal Canadian Air Force station at Goose Bay in the province of Newfoundland. The lease, which is to enable the United States air force to replace wartime construction and to construct some additional facilities, involves approximately 7,000 acres of land which is less than ten per cent of the area of the base. The field will continue to be under the over-all command of the R.C.A.F.

Goose Bay airport was built by Canada in 1942-before Newfoundland entered confederation-as a stepping-stone along the North Atlantic and Arctic airways. During the war thousands of aircraft put down there on ferry flights from the United States and Canada to Europe. Since the war Goose Bay has been used by the R.C.A.F. and the United States air force to support certain northern weather stations, and it has served also as a centre for search and rescue operations in the area.

In view of the increased international tension during the last three years, the R.C.A.F. and United States air force facilities at Goose Bay have been considerably expanded. The base is, in effect, a joint defence installation, and is being used by both air forces for the co-operative defence of North America. Its use by both countries is essential for the fulfilment of their responsibilities under the North Atlantic treaty.

The lease is for a period of 20 years, with the proviso that any United States request for an extension will be considered by Canada in the light of the common defence interests of Canada and the United States.

When the lease has expired, all buildings on the leased area will become the property of Canada, but removable improvements may be taken away by the United States air force.

Topic:   ROYAL CANADIAN AIR FORCE
Subtopic:   GOOSE BAY STATION
Sub-subtopic:   LEASE OF LAND TO UNITED STATES

PRIVATE BILL

FIRST READING-SENATE BILL

Bill No. 43, respecting Beaver Fire Insurance Company.-Mr. Rooney.

FOOD AND DRUGS ACT

REVISION AND CONSOLIDATION

Alphonse Fournier (Minister of Public Works; Leader of the Government in the House of Commons; Liberal Party House Leader)

Hon. Alphonse Fournier (for Ihe Minister of National Health and Welfare) moved

the first reading of Bill No. 48 (from the Senate), respecting food, drugs, cosmetics and therapeutic devices.

Motion agreed to and bill read the first time.

Topic:   FOOD AND DRUGS ACT
Subtopic:   REVISION AND CONSOLIDATION

NATIONAL DEFENCE

CURRIE REPORT-TABLING OF LETTER FROM CHIEF OF GENERAL STAFF

On the orders of the day:

George Alexander Drew (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. George A. Drew (Leader of the Opposition):

I would ask the Prime Minister, Mr. Speaker, if he will table the letter or a copy of the letter to which he referred yesterday from the chief of the general staff, in view of the fact that it has been made a part of the general material in connection with Mr. Currie's report. Would he table also any other correspondence relating to the letter from the chief of the general staff?

Topic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE
Subtopic:   CURRIE REPORT-TABLING OF LETTER FROM CHIEF OF GENERAL STAFF

Louis Stephen St-Laurent (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Right Hon. L. S. St. Laurent (Prime Minister):

I had intended, Mr. Speaker, to table it, and thought it was being tabled yesterday, but the Clerk pointed out to me that under what had been said it did not become a part of the records of the house, but would be printed, as had been suggested, with the report of Mr. Currie. But if it is desired to have it laid on the table as a part of the official records of the house, I shall be glad to have that done. I thought it had been done, but it was pointed out by the Clerk that, under what had been said, it had not been a part of the records of the house. I take it that it is desired that it become a part of the records of the house.

Topic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE
Subtopic:   CURRIE REPORT-TABLING OF LETTER FROM CHIEF OF GENERAL STAFF

Some hon. Members:

Agreed.

Topic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE
Subtopic:   CURRIE REPORT-TABLING OF LETTER FROM CHIEF OF GENERAL STAFF

Jean-Paul Stephen St-Laurent

Mr. Sf. Laurent:

Then I will see that it is done. I will make sure whether or not there is any other correspondence. There is none to my knowledge, but I will make inquiry in that regard.

Inquiries of the Ministry

Topic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE
Subtopic:   CURRIE REPORT-TABLING OF LETTER FROM CHIEF OF GENERAL STAFF

George Alexander Drew (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. Drew:

So that there may be no misunderstanding about the matter, may I say that what I had in mind was that perhaps there was, from either the minister or someone in the department, a letter which indicated how the copy of the report came into the hands of the chief of the general staff, and whatever correspondence there was that prompted the reply from the chief of the general staff. That is particularly what I have in mind.

Topic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE
Subtopic:   CURRIE REPORT-TABLING OF LETTER FROM CHIEF OF GENERAL STAFF

Jean-Paul Stephen St-Laurent

Mr. Si. Laurent:

My information is that there is no correspondence and that the copy of the report came into the hands of the chief of the general staff in the manner mentioned by the Acting Minister of National Defence (Mr. Campney) yesterday; that is to say that on his instructions, when two copies were sent overseas, one for the Minister of National Defence (Mr. Claxton) and one for me, a copy was handed to the chief of the general staff.

Topic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE
Subtopic:   CURRIE REPORT-TABLING OF LETTER FROM CHIEF OF GENERAL STAFF

Mr. Si. Laureni@

Mr. Speaker, if I may have the consent of hon. members, I would ask you to revert to motions so that I might lay on the table a copy of a letter from the chief of the general staff requested this morning by the Leader of the Opposition. I read it yesterday, and I now beg leave to table copies of that letter.

The Leader of- the Opposition asked:

Then later he said:

I have made diligent inquiries and there is no such correspondence.

Topic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE