December 8, 1952

James Joseph McCann (Minister of National Revenue)

Hon. J. J. McCann (Minister of National Revenue):

I should like to answer a question which was asked on December 5 by the Leader of the Opposition with reference to Poland. I shall not repeat the question but in answer will say that there are no regular programs of the international service directed to Poland. Policy matters such as this are decided in consultation with the Department of External Affairs. The importance of the Polish people in the future of Europe and their trials of the present are fully recognized. Transmitter time for Europe, however, is limited and is fully occupied. It has so far been felt, taking all factors into consideration, that the transmission time and funds available should be divided as they are at present. Of the countries behind the iron curtain, regular services are directed to the U.S.S.R. in Russian and Ukrainian, and to Czechoslovakia in Czech and Slovak. Other European language services are French, German, Italian, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian and Finnish.

Topic:   RADIO BROADCASTING
Subtopic:   INTERNATIONAL SERVICE-EXTENSION TO POLAND

George Alexander Drew (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. George A. Drew (Leader of Ihe Opposition):

I should like to ask a supplementary question. Can the minister inform the house whether a gentleman of Polish extraction or Polish stock has been engaged for the purpose of starting such a program? If so, what is his name?

Topic:   RADIO BROADCASTING
Subtopic:   INTERNATIONAL SERVICE-EXTENSION TO POLAND

James Joseph McCann (Minister of National Revenue)

Mr. McCann:

I have no knowledge of such an appointment or of consideration thereof.

Topic:   RADIO BROADCASTING
Subtopic:   INTERNATIONAL SERVICE-EXTENSION TO POLAND

George Alexander Drew (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. Drew:

I would ask the minister to take this as notice of a question, to check the name of the man who, it is reported, has been engaged and inform the house whether or not that is correct and, if so, what the name of the man is.

Topic:   RADIO BROADCASTING
Subtopic:   INTERNATIONAL SERVICE-EXTENSION TO POLAND

COMMUNICATIONS

NEGOTIATIONS FOR SALE OF B.C. TELEGRAPH AND TELEPHONE FACILITIES

On the orders of the day:

Edmund Davie Fulton

Mr. E. D. Fulton (Kamloops):

I should like to direct a question to the Minister of Transport. Can the minister give any information as to the progress of negotiations for the sale of the government

telegraph and telephone service facilities in British Columbia? Can he outline what arrangements will be made to protect the position of the employees of the service with respect to-

Some hon. Members:

Order.

Edmund Davie Fulton

Mr. Fulfon:

-their continuation in employment and their pension rights?

Subtopic:   NEGOTIATIONS FOR SALE OF B.C. TELEGRAPH AND TELEPHONE FACILITIES

Elie Beauregard (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. Speaker:

Could that question not

appear on the order paper?

Edmund Davie Fulton

Mr. Fulfon:

There are a number of

employees and others in the province who are interested in this matter. Negotiations have been under way for some time-

Subtopic:   NEGOTIATIONS FOR SALE OF B.C. TELEGRAPH AND TELEPHONE FACILITIES

Clarence Decatur Howe (Minister of Defence Production; Minister of Trade and Commerce)

Mr. Howe:

The question can wait till Wednesday.

Edmund Davie Fulton

Mr. Fulfon:

-and I think it is a matter of sufficient importance and urgency to those concerned. I believe the minister may be ready to answer. I telephoned his office this morning and told him I was going to make the inquiry.

Subtopic:   NEGOTIATIONS FOR SALE OF B.C. TELEGRAPH AND TELEPHONE FACILITIES

Elie Beauregard (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. Speaker:

Under the circumstances, if the Minister of Transport would like to answer the question now-

Subtopic:   NEGOTIATIONS FOR SALE OF B.C. TELEGRAPH AND TELEPHONE FACILITIES

Lionel Chevrier (Minister of Transport)

Hon. Lionel Chevrier (Minister of Transport):

Mr. Speaker, I have the answer. The hon. gentleman did advise me he was going to ask the question but I feel, as I am sure the house feels, that it is a matter for the order paper. I do not want to be unjust to my hon. friend. I can answer it if it is the wish of the house.

Subtopic:   NEGOTIATIONS FOR SALE OF B.C. TELEGRAPH AND TELEPHONE FACILITIES

Elie Beauregard (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. Speaker:

Under the circumstances

perhaps the minister might reply.

Subtopic:   NEGOTIATIONS FOR SALE OF B.C. TELEGRAPH AND TELEPHONE FACILITIES

Lionel Chevrier (Minister of Transport)

Mr. Chevrier:

I think I should say in fairness that the Minister of Fisheries and the Solicitor General, both before their appointments and since, as well as the hon. members for Cariboo and Skeena, have shown a very keen interest in the question which my hon. friend has asked.

Edmund Davie Fulton

Mr. Fulton:

Why were they objecting to having it answered?

Subtopic:   NEGOTIATIONS FOR SALE OF B.C. TELEGRAPH AND TELEPHONE FACILITIES

James Sinclair (Minister of Fisheries)

Mr. Sinclair: