March 11, 1952

CIGARETTES

TABLING OF LETTER FROM IMPERIAL TOBACCO COMPANY

On the order for motions:

Douglas Charles Abbott (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Hon. Douglas Abbott (Minister of Finance):

Mr. Speaker, on Friday last I read a letter from Mr. Slaven, a druggist in Sydney, Nova Scotia, complaining of the method of distribution of cigarettes by the Imperial Tobacco Company Limited.

Sub-subtopic:   QUESTION AS TO PROCEDURE

George Alexander Drew (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. George A. Drew (Leader of the Opposition):

Might I ask under what rule the present comments are being made?

Sub-subtopic:   QUESTION AS TO PROCEDURE

Douglas Charles Abbott (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. Abbott:

Mr. Speaker, I might explain that I propose to table a letter which I hold in my hand. I think it has been the practice to table documents on the order for motions.

Sub-subtopic:   QUESTION AS TO PROCEDURE

Elie Beauregard (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. Speaker:

I appreciate the remark of the leader of the opposition, which no doubt relates to the question which was brought before the house yesterday with respect to statements which are made at the opening of the house.

Sub-subtopic:   QUESTION AS TO PROCEDURE

Douglas Charles Abbott (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. Abbott:

I am not questioning the point raised by the leader of the opposition. I was explaining that I propose to table a letter, and I think that is in order at this time.

Sub-subtopic:   QUESTION AS TO PROCEDURE

George Alexander Drew (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. Drew:

I should think so.

Sub-subtopic:   QUESTION AS TO PROCEDURE

Elie Beauregard (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. Speaker:

Apparently there is no

objection to the letter being tabled. I think the leader of the opposition asked his question because he wanted to see the rules observed with respect to debating matters and making statements in the house.

Sub-subtopic:   QUESTION AS TO PROCEDURE

Douglas Charles Abbott (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. Abbott:

I am not proposing to make a statement; I am going to ask leave to table a document. I do not mind when I table it; I will table it whenever I am told is the proper time, but for seven or eight years I have been in the habit of tabling documents on motions.

Sub-subtopic:   QUESTION AS TO PROCEDURE

Elie Beauregard (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. Speaker:

I think it is quite in order for the minister to table the document now.

Sub-subtopic:   QUESTION AS TO PROCEDURE

Douglas Charles Abbott (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. Abbott:

On Friday last I read a letter from Mr. Slaven, a druggist in Sydney, complaining about the method of distributing cigarettes. Yesterday morning I received a letter from the president of the Imperial 55704-20

Tobacco Company, the company complained of, explaining their system of distribution, and asking-

Sub-subtopic:   QUESTION AS TO PROCEDURE

George Alexander Drew (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. Drew:

Mr. Speaker-

An hon. Member:

No speech.

An hon. Member:

Table it.

Sub-subtopic:   QUESTION AS TO PROCEDURE

Elie Beauregard (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. Speaker:

The leader of the opposition has a point of order.

Sub-subtopic:   QUESTION AS TO PROCEDURE

George Alexander Drew (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. Drew:

I pointed out yesterday that I thought the ruling that was being made might present some difficulties, and I suggest that we are now confronted with one of those difficulties.

An hon. Member:

Not at all.

Sub-subtopic:   QUESTION AS TO PROCEDURE

George Alexander Drew (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. Drew:

If the minister proposes to table a letter I suggest that he table it. But the moment he starts to give an explanation he places himself in the position in which I understood we always had been up to yesterday. .

March 11, 1952