December 6, 1951

Louis Stephen St-Laurent (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Right Hon. L. S. St. Laurent (Prime Minister):

Mr. Speaker, I know I shall be speaking for all hon. members on both sides of the house in expressing admiration for those beautiful flowers on the desk of the hon. member for Grenville-Dundas (Mr. Casselman) and in extending to him our warmest congratulations on this the thirtieth anniversary of his first election to the House of Commons. During a great part of that time, and during the whole of the time that it has been my privilege to be in the house, the hon. member has served as the whip of his party. He has done so in a manner and with a courtesy that has been helpful in the conduct of the business of the house. I know that we all wish him many more years of useful public service.

Another hon. member, the hon. member for Dauphin (Mr. Ward), was also elected to this house for the first time thirty years ago. I am sure that, though it may for some of the members of the house have been the result of an event that was not entirely pleasing to them, we were all glad to welcome him back to this house. I am sure that to him also all hon. members would wish many more years of useful public service.

The third member of the house who unfortunately is prevented by indisposition from being here today but who was elected at the same time and who has been over the thirty years a constant attendant in the house is the hon. member for Danforth (Mr. Harris). I am sure we regret that he is not here today so that we might have the opportunity of extending to him personally our congratulations and good wishes. I think all hon. members would agree with me, Mr. Speaker, in asking you to inform the hon. member that we are thinking of him today and that we are all extending to him our very best wishes.

Topic:   CONGRATULATIONS TO MR. CASSELMAN, MR. WARD AND MR. HARRIS (DANFORTH) ON THIRTIETH ANNIVERSARY OF ELECTION TO PARLIAMENT

George Alexander Drew (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. George A. Drew (Leader of the Opposition):

Mr. Speaker, it is a pleasant thing to be able to join in felicitations of this kind. Naturally I join with the Prime

Minister in the good wishes he has extended not only to the members who are present but to the hon. member for Danforth who is unable to be here. I wish particularly to express my warm good wishes to the member of our party who sits behind me and whose desk is today decorated with these beautiful flowers to which the Prime Minister has referred. May I say that it is an impressive thing to be able to look back over thirty years and to realize that this still young-looking member of the House of Commons-not only young-looking, but, as years go in the political life of this country, young in fact and young in everything he does as well-has been here so long. May I say it is a great pleasure to be able to record the fact that since he was elected thirty years ago today he has never been defeated in his own constituency. The only time he has not sat in this house during those years was when he resigned his seat to make way for a very great Canadian who temporarily represented that constituency.

In addition to the fact that I join in the expressions of felicitation to him as a member of the house, I might add there is naturally the association in the same political party, and there is also a long personal friendship. And may I confess that perhaps there is also a special interest in the fact that he entered the House of Commons shortly after the first world war when he belonged to that very special branch of military service, the Canadian artillery. Having served with the 10th siege battery with distinction he carried forward into the years of peace the same sense of public service that had carried him outside of Canada at that time. I join with the Prime Minister (Mr. St. Laurent) in wishing him many happy years ahead of service to the public and in the association of the friends that he has made here in this House of Commons.

I regret very much that the hon. member for Danforth (Mr. Harris) is not here similarly to receive the friendly expressions from his associates on both sides of the house. He has continuously represented a Toronto constituency throughout all those years, and at all times has been a faithful public servant in everything that these words mean. I know that everyone here will regret the fact that through indisposition he is unable to be with us, but we will certainly all wish him good health and many years of public service here

1632 HOUSE OF

Congratulations to Long-Service Members in the House of Commons and in the other capacities where he has served so well. I would like to include in that a reference to the kind of public service which so many men who are members of parliament give in other fields. For scores of years and longer to come the name of Joe Harris will be remembered in Toronto because of a very large and efficient hospital which, to a very considerable extent, has been the result of his untiring effort and activity. It is in things of that kind outside of the House of Commons that so many members of this house do serve their public in addition to their ordinary capacity as members of parliament.

May I further add my good wishes to the bon. member for Dauphin (Mr. Ward). In the very nature of the association it has not been my privilege to know him as well as the other two members whom I have mentioned; but he has carried with him throughout the years the friendship of those who have known him, and I join with the Prime Minister in wishing him also through the years ahead health, happiness and the enjoyment of his years of service.

CCF

Angus MacInnis

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. Angus Maclnnis (Vancouver East):

should like to associate this group with what the Prime Minister and the leader of the opposition have said in congratulating these three remaining members of the 1921 general election. They are members who have been engaged almost continuously since that time in the work and in the life of this parliament. We wish them many more useful years in this house.

SC

John Horne Blackmore

Social Credit

Mr. J. H. Blackmore (Lethbridge):

It is the

desire of the members of the Social Credit group to be associated with the kind words, and well earned words of praise, which have already been offered in recognition of the thirtieth anniversary of the three hon. members.

Arza Clair Casselman (Chief Opposition Whip; Whip of the Progressive Conservative Party)

Mr. A. C. Casselman (Grenville-Dundas):

Mr. Speaker, as one whose duties as whip for approximately the last twenty years of this parliament have curtailed the opportunities to express views in the house, I know I will find it most difficult to express the thoughts that have come to my mind in the last few minutes.

It was my privilege in my early years to be given the confidence of the electorate in my district, a confidence which has been continuous over the last three decades. I think you would expect me to express my deepest thanks to the electorate of Grenville-Dundas for their kindness in doing so. This I now do.

During that period of time as a member of this house, I have seen many changes, advances which have been to a large degree

fMr. Drew.]

advantageous not only to my constituents but to the people of Canada as a whole.

Over this period of time it has been my privilege to make the acquaintance and, I hope, gain the friendship, of many members from all parts of Canada. That I consider one of my most precious possessions. I sincerely hope that they feel towards me the way I feel towards them. To have been associated with so many people of such divergent views has, I trust, impressed me in such a way that I bear ill will to no one.

I am very sorry that my friend the hon. member for Danforth (Mr. Harris) is not here today. I am delighted to know that the hon. member for Dauphin (Mr. Ward) is here today. I know that he needs sympathy, but possibly not quite as much as I do. I take this opportunity to express to the Prime Minister, to my leader, to the leader of the C.C.F. party for the time being, the hon. member for Vancouver East, and to the hon. member for Lethbridge my thanks for the kind words which they have uttered with respect to me.

I trust that, having lost twenty minutes already in the business of the house as a result of the fact that I have been here a long time, the house will be able to get down and proceed with the urgent business that is before it.

COMBINES LEGISLATION

PRIVILEGE, MR. BEAUDRY-REFERENCE TO REPORT IN "GLOBE AND MAIL" OF DECEMBER 6

Roland Beaudry

Mr. Roland Beaudry (St. James):

Mr. Speaker, on a question of privilege, my attention has been drawn to a news item in today's Globe and Mail. Referring to yesterday's sittings of the combines committee the article says in part:

Throughout today's committee divisions Mr. Beaudry and Mr. Murray bolted the government ranks and consistently voted with the minority group-

I say that it requires a phenomenal amount of imagination to construe as "bolting" my affirmative vote on a motion moved by myself on a question of procedure. I have never bolted the government ranks, and I am reasonably sure that the dictates of my heart and of my reason will make me live and die a liberal.

Topic:   COMBINES LEGISLATION
Subtopic:   PRIVILEGE, MR. BEAUDRY-REFERENCE TO REPORT IN "GLOBE AND MAIL" OF DECEMBER 6

George Alexander Drew (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. George A. Drew (Leader of the Opposition):

Mr. Speaker, I rise on a question of privilege. On Monday last a question was raised by the hon. member for

Assiniboia (Mr. Argue) in reference to a statement which had been made in regard to legislation that was to be introduced in this house. I do believe that this is something that should be definitely placed before the house, in view of the stage that this session has now reached and in View of the very positive statements contained in a Canadian Press dispatch of December 1 from Calgary, which was referred to in this house yesterday during a debate. I would point out that the Canadian Press dispatch, to which I refer, in addition to indicating that the Minister of Trade and Commerce (Mr. Howe) was prepared to recommend certain legislation, contained statements of a positive nature which must have left that impression upon the minds of those who read the statement.

I would quote the positive statement contained in the Canadian Press dispatch of December 1 from Calgary, which says:

Right Hon. C. D. Howe, trade minister, said Friday that financial aid for distressed prairie grain growers is in prospect for early in the new year.

And then later on, after indicating his own willingness to place this before the house, and to support it, the report goes on to say:

Mr. Howe said the legislation would be introduced at the current session of parliament in the expectation the plan would be in operation* by the early part of January.

The question of privilege is this: If that press report is correct, then the minister responsible for the handling of grain has stated there would be legislation during this session which will provide payments to the farmers in January. If that is correct, then naturally the farmers in making their arrangements, in those distressed areas where harvesting has been seriously affected by the weather, would wish to know. If that is not a statement of policy and if it does not represent the government's intention, then at the earliest possible date they also should know it. In addition to that, since what is reported does not constitute a statement of policy by that minister in the house, and as the Prime Minister (Mr. St. Laurent) has had an opportunity to give the matter further consideration, would he inform us as to what the exact position of the government is?

Topic:   REFERENCE TO REPORTED REMARKS OF MINISTER OF TRADE AND COMMERCE IN WINNIPEG "FREE PRESS"

Louis Stephen St-Laurent (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Right Hon. L. S. St. Laurent (Prime Minister):

Mr. Speaker, the position of the government is that it is never responsible for newspaper reports. The Minister of Trade and Commerce has said on several occasions in this house that this matter was under consideration, and that there would be an announcement of the measures that the government might find it appropriate to recommend for the relief of those who,

Grain

because of circumstances, were prevented from deriving immediate advances or benefits from their expected crop.

That is still the situation. And, although I have no right to divulge what goes on in council meetings, I can say the matter has been considered-on the latest occasion this morning. In the circumstances, and because of the information that the Minister of Trade and Commerce is expected to bring back tomorrow morning, we did feel that we wished to have a further conference with him, and I did not put on the order paper this afternoon the notice of a resolution that had been prepared. One aspect of the matter under consideration has been as to whether or not legislation was required to deal with the situation.

The Minister of Agriculture (Mr. Gardiner) was in the west a while ago, just before he left for Rome, and had interviews with many of those representing large sections of the grain growers; and the Minister of Trade and Commerce has met the representatives of the grain growers at Calgary, at Edmonton and in Winnipeg, and has canvassed the situation. We expect it will now be possible, within the next two or three days, to come to a conclusion as to whether or not the matter can be dealt with without legislation, or if in fact it does require legislation. I am inclined to think it will require legislation, no matter what form the emergency assistance takes. But that is a matter upon which I would not wish to make a definite pronouncement at this time.

I saw the suggestion somewhere that there had been an undertaking that there would be no further legislation. That may have been made, in general terms. But I think it had been made clear to the house, from the first time the question arose, that the government was studying the situation and would determine what recommendation to make to assist in dealing with it in view of the fact that it has arisen out of climatic and other unavoidable circumstances.

George Alexander Drew (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. Drew:

I recognize of course that any statement that there will be no further legislation is always subject to events that may occur. I would point out, however, that this has been under consideration for some time. I do point out further that if the Prime Minister's words are to be taken as an indication that something is to be done along the lines mentioned, then once again we are confronted with the fact that a statement of policy has been made outside the house, instead of being presented in the usual way.

Louis Stephen St-Laurent (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Mr. St. Laurent:

I have read the clippings from the papers in Calgary and Edmonton.

Inquiries of the Ministry They contain the statement that the Minister of Trade and Commerce had said that something should be done, but they do not indicate in any way what form it would take. I do not know where the Canadian Press got the information for the dispatch that was published in Winnipeg. At the time it appeared in Winnipeg the Minister of Trade and Commerce had not yet reached Winnipeg.

George Alexander Drew (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. Drew:

Do I take it, then, that the Prime Minister does in fact say that the quotations from the Canadian Press dispatch to which I have referred do not correctly represent the situation, so far as the government is concerned, as of December 1?

Charles Eugène Parent

Mr. SI. Laurent:

No, I shall not say and I cannot say that there was not something said that would justify the report. The Canadian Press is usually careful, although there are times when statements are expanded or backgrounded. I do not know to what extent that may have been done in this case.

NATIONAL GALLERY

INCREASE IN MEMBERSHIP OF BOARD OF TRUSTEES

Walter Edward Harris (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration)

Hon. W. E. Harris (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration) moved

that the house go into committee at the next sitting to consider the following resolution:

That it is expedient to introduce a measure respecting the national gallery of Canada to increase the number of members of the board of trustees; to provide that the board may enter into contracts and may dispose of property vested in the board; to provide for a national gallery purchase account and for a national gallery special operating account to meet the expenditures of the board; and to provide further for the appointment in accordance with the provisions of the Civil Service Act of the necessary officers, clerks and employees.

He said: His Excellency the Governor General, having been made acquainted with the subject matter of this resolution, recommends it to the consideration of the house.

Topic:   NATIONAL GALLERY
Subtopic:   INCREASE IN MEMBERSHIP OF BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Sub-subtopic:   APPOINTMENT OF OFFICERS, ETC.

Motion agreed to.