November 14, 1951

Lionel Chevrier (Minister of Transport)

Hon. Lionel Chevrier (Minister of Transport):

Perhaps that question should have been addressed to me. It reads:

Has the minister recently received representations from the Saskatchewan wheat pools as to enlarging the storage facilities for grain at the port of Churchill? Does the government propose to take any action in that regard?

So far as the first part of the question is concerned, no representations have been received by me from the Saskatchewan wheat pools to the effect mentioned in the question. I understand the position is the same in so far as my colleague the Minister of Trade and Commerce is concerned. I saw the members of the national harbours board, and they indicated to me they had received no requests along the lines suggested by the hon. member's question.

Inquiries of the Ministry CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAYS

Topic:   STORAGE FACILITIES AT CHURCHILL
Subtopic:   REQUEST FOR ENLARGEMENT

On the orders of the day:

CCF

Major James William Coldwell

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. M. J. Coldwell (Roseiown-Biggar):

On

November 1 I directed a question to the Minister of Transport concerning gratuities granted for retirement on account of ill health by the Canadian National Railways. The minister stated he had asked the officials of the Canadian National Railways to give attention to that point, and when he heard from them he would communicate the information to the house. Has that information been received?

Topic:   QUESTION AS TO RETENTION OF PENSION RIGHTS BY RETIRED EMPLOYEES APPLYING FOR OLD AGE SECURITY

Lionel Chevrier (Minister of Transport)

Hon. Lionel Chevrier (Minister of Transport):

No, but I expect to have it tomorrow, and I shall be glad to give it to the house.

LABOUR CONDITIONS

NATIONAL EMPLOYMENT SERVICE

On the orders of the day:

CCF

Joseph William Noseworthy

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. J. W. Noseworthy (York South):

May I

direct a question to the Minister of Labour? Are the employees of the national employment service in Ontario protected by the Ontario Fair Employment Practices Act, as are other employees in that province? If not, will the minister explain why not?

Topic:   LABOUR CONDITIONS
Subtopic:   NATIONAL EMPLOYMENT SERVICE
Sub-subtopic:   QUESTION AS TO PROTECTION FOR EMPLOYEES UNDER FAIR EMPLOYMENT PRACTICES ACT

Milton Fowler Gregg (Minister of Labour)

Hon. Milton F. Gregg (Minister of Labour):

I shall look into the question, Mr. Speaker, and give the hon. member a reply.

Topic:   LABOUR CONDITIONS
Subtopic:   NATIONAL EMPLOYMENT SERVICE

OLD AGE SECURITY

PROOF OF AGE-QUESTION AS TO USE OF CENSUS RECORDS

On the orders of the day:

Gordon Graydon

Mr. Gordon Graydon (Peel):

I did not give the Minister of National Health and Welfare notice of this question because the situation that I want to bring to his attention only came to my notice through a constituent of mine about an hour or so ago. Is it the minister's intention to avail himself of the census records in connection with proof of age for applications for universal pension? The reason I ask is that I understand the government has that in mind. I was hoping the minister would make some statement soon that that was going to be done, so the older people would be relieved of the anxiety they feel.

Topic:   OLD AGE SECURITY
Subtopic:   PROOF OF AGE-QUESTION AS TO USE OF CENSUS RECORDS

Paul Joseph James Martin (Minister of National Health and Welfare)

Hon. Paul Marlin (Minister of National Health and Welfare):

As I indicated when

The Address-Mr. Hees the bill was before the house last week, it was not practical, nor was it legal, to use census records in the sense contemplated by my hon. friend's question. As I indicated, steps have been taken to make census records available in our regional offices, and we hope that can be done by December 1. That undoubtedly will facilitate much of the question of assessing the validity of claims as to age. It should be pointed out, however, that even the census records are not necessarily absolute proof of age. That should be clearly understood because already some indications along that line have been established. I may say finally in answer to my hon. friend that the matter of applications is proceeding smoothly and no undue difficulty is being experienced.

Topic:   OLD AGE SECURITY
Subtopic:   PROOF OF AGE-QUESTION AS TO USE OF CENSUS RECORDS

SPEECH FROM THE THRONE

CONTINUATION OF DEBATE ON ADDRESS IN REPLY

The house resumed, from Monday, November 12, consideration of the motion of Mr. Robert Cauchon for an address to His Excellency the Governor General in reply to his speech at the opening of the session, and the amendment thereto of Mr. Drew, and the amendment to the amendment of Mr. Quelch.

George Harris Hees

Mr. George H. Hees (Broadview):

Mr. Speaker, I am sure that all hon. members were glad to hear the Minister of Veterans Affairs (Mr. Lapointe) announce in this house a few weeks ago that legislation would be brought down at this session to deal with veterans pensions. This decision of the government was brought about solely by pressure brought to bear on the government by members of the opposition.

Topic:   SPEECH FROM THE THRONE