May 15, 1951

EXTERNAL AFFAIRS

REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON MAY 14

George Alexander Drew (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. George A. Drew (Leader of the Opposition):

Mr. Speaker, on a point of

order, I wish to draw your attention to a statement, as reported in Hansard, made by the Secretary of State for External Affairs (Mr. Pearson) last night. I had referred to a speech of the Secretary of State for External Affairs made on May 2 in Renfrew, as to which the press report carried the statement that he had referred to "hoop-la diplomacy" and vaudeville performances; and I had indicated my belief that these words did not properly describe the type of diplomacy that was being discussed. Then the Secretary of State for External Affairs, as reported at page 3007 of Hansard, said this:

If the leader of the opposition had read my speech and not a newspaper account of the speech into the records of Hansard he might have'come to a different conclusion concerning it.

In view of. that statement, I sent to his office this morning for a text of the speech and was informed that there was no text. The newspaper report was therefore the only record available. But in reading the text of Hansard I also noticed that the Secretary of State for External Affairs had said that he made a similar speech in Toronto on April 10; and I obtained the text of that speech. In his remarks last night-

Topic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Subtopic:   REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON MAY 14

Some hon. Members:

Order.

Topic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Subtopic:   REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON MAY 14

Elie Beauregard (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. Speaker:

Order. I doubt if the debate which was closed last night should be revived at this time. If the leader of the opposition wants to make a brief statement, I think he should be allowed to do so; but I would not want him to extend his remarks so that the result would be another debate on this subject that has been closed.

Topic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Subtopic:   REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON MAY 14

George Alexander Drew (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. Drew:

I have no intention of reopening the debate, Mr. Speaker. I am simply correcting the record. The Secretary of State for External Affairs last night, in reference to my statement that the term "hoop-la diplomacy" had been used, said:

I quoted from a paragraph by the columnist, Mr. Walter Lippmann, written some weeks before these events.

He then quoted that columnist. On reading the text of the similar speech to which he referred as having been substantially the same as the one in Renfrew, I find that while later in the speech he quoted from Mr. Lippmann, these are his own words:

In the circumstances of the present, it will, I think, have a better chance of reaching these goals if we abandon what has been called "hoop-la diplomacy," at Lake Success, at Ottawa, or, I hasten to add, at Tokyo.

He then went on to use further words, and in the latter part of the paragraph he said:

That is only one reason why I hope that in this country we will resolutely refuse to countenance the methods or the atmosphere of the circus or the vaudeville theatre in our conduct of popular and democratic government. Dignity is an important element of democracy.

I have read these quotations, Mr. Speaker, as a matter of privilege in order to correct the record; and may I suggest that the Secretary of State for External Affairs would be well advised to be more accurate in the comments in his speeches.

Topic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Subtopic:   REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON MAY 14

Lester Bowles Pearson (Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Hon. L. B. Pearson (Secretary of State for External Affairs):

Mr. Speaker, perhaps I

may be permitted to add a word to what the hon. gentleman has said, inasmuch as he has mentioned my name and has made certain suggestions about the accuracy of what I said last night. The hon. gentleman is quoting this afternoon from a speech which I made in Toronto, not one which I made in Renfrew. Last night, Mr. Speaker, I believe that I said that what I had said in Renfrew was substantially the same as what I said in Toronto. But that does not give the hon. gentleman the right to quote textually from the speech I made in Toronto. If he had been at Renfrew, as I was, and if he had had the notes of my Renfrew speech, as I have, I am sure he would have come to the conclusion that what I said last night was strictly accurate.

Topic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Subtopic:   REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON MAY 14

ROYAL CANADIAN AIR FORCE

PRESS REPORTS OF ARRIVAL AT TRENTON OF TRAINING PLANES FROM THE UNITED STATES

On the orders of the day:

George Randolph Pearkes

Mr. G. R. Pearkes (Nanaimo):

May I address a question to the Minister of National Defence? Has the minister's attention been drawn to a statement appearing in the press that large numbers of training planes from the United States of America are arriving at

Inquiries of the Ministry Trenton in accordance with a new loan agreement as yet unannounced? If so, will the minister make a statement as to the nature of that plan, if any?

Topic:   ROYAL CANADIAN AIR FORCE
Subtopic:   PRESS REPORTS OF ARRIVAL AT TRENTON OF TRAINING PLANES FROM THE UNITED STATES

Brooke Claxton (Minister of National Defence)

Hon. Brooke Claxlon (Minister of National Defence):

I have not seen the press report, but in connection with the very largely expanded air training plan we shall be borrowing from the United States a number of Harvard aircraft to supplement those which we have either in active service or in store, which are being refitted. These later will be replaced by Harvards out of our own production, which will be well advanced toward the end of this year.

Topic:   ROYAL CANADIAN AIR FORCE

George Alexander Drew (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. Drew:

Mr. Speaker, may I ask a supplementary question? Is the North American F-6 trainer a Harvard?

Topic:   ROYAL CANADIAN AIR FORCE

Brooke Claxton (Minister of National Defence)

Mr. Claxlon:

Yes, it is the Harvard with the latest modifications.

Topic:   ROYAL CANADIAN AIR FORCE

FREIGHT RATES

GENERAL INQUIRY BEFORE TRANSPORT

On the orders of the day:

Howard Charles Green

Mr. Howard C. Green (Vancouver-Quadra):

May I direct a question to the Minister of Transport? Have hearings by the board of transport commissioners in the general freight rates inquiry, which were supposed to open tomorrow, been postponed until the fall? If so, what is the reason for that delay?

Topic:   FREIGHT RATES
Subtopic:   GENERAL INQUIRY BEFORE TRANSPORT
Sub-subtopic:   APPLICATION FOR FURTHER INCREASE

Lionel Chevrier (Minister of Transport)

Hon. Lionel Chevrier (Minister of Transport):

The hon. member was good enough to give me notice of this question, but I received it only before coming into the house. I saw in the press report this morning that the board of transport commissioners had adjourned until September 10 its general investigation, into freight rates. I do not know what the reasons are, other than those which I saw reported. I presume that the railways and the other parties concerned were not prepared to submit evidence until such time as the legislation concerning equalization had been studied by the house.

Topic:   FREIGHT RATES
Subtopic:   GENERAL INQUIRY BEFORE TRANSPORT
Sub-subtopic:   APPLICATION FOR FURTHER INCREASE

Howard Charles Green

Mr. Green:

Can the minister make further inquiries into that question and let us know, perhaps tomorrow? t At the same time I would also like to know whether there is to be a similar postponement of the application of the railways for a further increase in rates.

Topic:   FREIGHT RATES