April 20, 1951

SC

John Horne Blackmore

Social Credit

Mr. Blackmore:

Tell the truth occasionally.

William Albert Boucher

Mr. Boucher:

If the hon. gentleman will contain himself, I will deal with some of his statements later.

CCF

Percy Ellis Wright

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. Wright:

If you don't lose the page.

William Albert Boucher

Mr. Boucher:

With respect to the five-year contract with the government of the United Kingdom, I wish to say that-

Subtopic:   ANNUAL FINANCIAL STATEMENT OF THE MINISTER OF FINANCE

Elie Beauregard (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. Speaker:

Order. I have already ruled that the five-year wheat contract cannot be discussed during this debate.

William Albert Boucher

Mr. Boucher:

I am not discussing the wheat contract with the British government, Mr. Speaker. Let me say just this. I am sorry that they did not see fit to give greater regard to the "have regard to" clause.

Some hon. Members:

Order.

Subtopic:   ANNUAL FINANCIAL STATEMENT OF THE MINISTER OF FINANCE

Elie Beauregard (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. Speaker:

Order. I have ruled that that matter is not debatable at this time, and that reference should not be made to it during this debate.

William Albert Boucher

Mr. Boucher:

I bow to your decision, Mr. Speaker. I will just say that I had hopes that our farmers would have received about twelve cents per bushel as a final payment on the five-year pool.

Some hon. Members:

Order.

Subtopic:   ANNUAL FINANCIAL STATEMENT OF THE MINISTER OF FINANCE

Elie Beauregard (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. Speaker:

Order. If the hon. member persists in discussing this matter, I shall be forced to ask him to discontinue his speech.

Edmund Davie Fulton

Mr. Fulton:

What about having it struck out of Hansard?

William Albert Boucher

Mr. Boucher:

The farmers of Canada need the support of every hon. member of this house in their quest for a fair proportion of the national income. I am sure that the farmers of Saskatchewan could only wish that the many stories that you hear about their great prosperity were true. If the interests of the people of Canada should ever require that the type of price controls imposed in the last war be reinstated, careful consideration should be given to the position of the farm

The Budget-Mr. Boucher and agricultural economy. The farmers of Canada have never asked, and will not ask now, for more than a fair share of our economy, but they do ask for that.

SC

William Duncan McKay Wylie

Social Credit

Mr. Wylie:

They are not getting it now.

William Albert Boucher

Mr. Boucher:

They are getting a lot more than they ever did before, Mr. Speaker. I am proud to say that. Generally speaking, the farmers of Canada never before got along as well as they have been getting along during the last few years under this government.

I am pleased to see that the hon. member for Moose Jaw (Mr. Thatcher) is in the house. Some time ago he said that every Liberal member had made promises all over our province during the last election with respect to the final payment on the five-year pool.

An hon. Member:

Order.

William Albert Boucher

Mr. Boucher:

I am not discussing the wheat agreement. Do you want to hear an answer to what he said?

CCF

Stanley Howard Knowles (Whip of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation)

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. Knowles:

The Speaker has ruled it out of order.

William Albert Boucher

Mr. Boucher:

I am not discussing the five-year pool at all.

Subtopic:   ANNUAL FINANCIAL STATEMENT OF THE MINISTER OF FINANCE

Elie Beauregard (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. Speaker:

Order. I hope the hon. member is not going to refer to the five-year wheat pool.

April 20, 1951