Information as to tons of freight carried is not compiled separately for the Newfoundland district. However, revenue ton miles, which are indicative of volume of traffic, are given below from date of entrustment, April 1, 1949, to December 31, 1949, and for the calendar year 1950 as follows:-
1949-9 mos. April 1, 1949 to Dec. 31, 1949, 99,858,503. 1950-12 mos. Jan. 1, 1950 to Dec. 31, 1950, 131,263,904.
Information is not available of record of freight carried by the Newfoundland railway prior to the date of entrustment to the Canadian National Railways for operation.
Topic: NEWFOUNDLAND RAILWAY
Subtopic: TONS OF FREIGHT
Sub-subtopic: CARRIED, 1947-51
1. No agreement is necessary between the federal government and the provinces regarding the annual construction program. Projects are planned and made ready for construction by the provinces and are then submitted to the federal authorities for approval prior to tenders being called.
2. Information has not been received from any of the provinces as to the complete mileage of new construction contemplated in 1951.
1. (a) No mileage of the trans-Canada highway was wholly completed in any province in 1950.
(b) Complete records are not available for the mileage under construction at December 31, 1950, but the mileage under construction at March 31, 1951, was as follows:
153 ..Prince Edward Island .... 19 ..New Brunswick
15 42British Columbia
2. Complete records of actual construction costs at the end of 1950 are not available, but
such records for the year ending March 31, 1951, will be available by May 1, 1951. However, the total estimated work committed, completed and under construction, together with the claims submitted to the federal government and paid as at March 31, 1951, were:
completed Claims and under submitted construction and paid
1. Civilians employed on the staff of Royal Military College, Kingston, Ontario; Women, 56 (5 of whom are veterans); Men-veterans, 108; Men-non-veterans, 33 (20 of whom are of military age and 13 of non-military age); total, 197.
Topic: $ 923,279.26 68,066.71 1,063,719.72 245,514.99 269,960.27 14,975.87 1,205,900.27 $24,551,009.80 $3,791,417.09 ROYAL MILITARY COLLEGE-CIVILIAN PERSONNEL