May 9, 1950

John George Diefenbaker

Mr. Diefenbaker:

I have a booklet in my desk which came out today, issued by the mounted police; I was trying to locate it while I was being interrupted. This is an old argument, and I was just waiting for that interruption; that is why I have the book here. It is called "Law and Order in Canadian Democracy", issued by the king's printer. It deals with the whole problem. The other day the Minister of Justice (Mr. Garson) was echoing the words of the Prime Minister (Mr. St. Laurent) when he said, in effect "Oh, we cannot do anything; the provinces have the responsibility." I ask this question. What is the organization in this country that investigates communists and their activities? It is the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. They have the organization; they operate every day of the week. I am informed they have every dangerous communist in this country of whom they have knowledge right under their thumb. They are the people who have the information. Does the Minister of Justice, who is in charge of the R.C.M.P., turn over to the provincial attorneys general each month a record of the activities of the various communists in their provinces? I am not going to ask him to deny that, but I know if he told the facts he could not say that was being

done. Certainly the law is enforced by the agencies of the provinces, but those who lay the informations are members of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. They start proceedings; then the administration of justice is carried on by the province. Yet the minister tries to get away with the specious argument that the provinces have responsibility for this, when he has all the agencies under his control and he is not acting. What about the mounted police?

Topic:   COMMUNIST ACTIVITIES IN CANADA

Stuart Sinclair Garson (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Mr. Garson:

On a point of privilege Mr. Speaker, I just want to correct a statement made by the horn member.

John George Diefenbaker

Mr. Diefenbaker:

The minister can correct my statements later.

Topic:   COMMUNIST ACTIVITIES IN CANADA

Stuart Sinclair Garson (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Mr. Garson:

It was a statement about myself.

John George Diefenbaker

Mr. Diefenbaker:

The other day I listened to the Minister of Justice making statements that were contrary to the facts, and I did not rise to deny them then; I waited for my opportunity.

Topic:   COMMUNIST ACTIVITIES IN CANADA

Joseph-Alfred Dion (Deputy Speaker and Chair of Committees of the Whole of the House of Commons)

Mr. Deputy Speaker:

If it is a point of privilege-

Topic:   COMMUNIST ACTIVITIES IN CANADA

Stuart Sinclair Garson (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Mr. Garson:

My hon. friend said-

Some hon. Members:

Sit down.

Mr. Deputy Speaker:

The hon. member who has the floor may not be interrupted without his consent except on a point of privilege.

Topic:   COMMUNIST ACTIVITIES IN CANADA

Stuart Sinclair Garson (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Mr. Garson:

My point of privilege was this. My hon. friend asked me a question. It may have been a rhetorical question, but I would like to answer it.

John George Diefenbaker

Mr. Diefenbaker:

I have asked the minister one question ever since last November, and we have not had an answer to it yet. Why did you hide the report on the millers?

Topic:   COMMUNIST ACTIVITIES IN CANADA

Stuart Sinclair Garson (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Mr. Garson:

If my hon. friend is going to attach so much importance to my not answering questions I should like to mention-

Mr. Deputy Speaker:

Order. Is the minister still raising a point of privilege?

Topic:   COMMUNIST ACTIVITIES IN CANADA

Stuart Sinclair Garson (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Mr. Garson:

As I say-

Topic:   COMMUNIST ACTIVITIES IN CANADA

Stuart Sinclair Garson (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Mr. Garson:

If my hon. friend is going to attach so much importance to questions asked in the course of a debate I would like to answer his question, and my answer is this. As my hon. friend well knows-

Some hon. Members:

Order.

Mr. Deputy Speaker:

Order. The hon. member for Lake Centre has the floor.

John George Diefenbaker

Mr. Diefenbaker:

I do not mind those jacks in the pulpit, Mr. Speaker, but at the

moment I am completing an argument; and if the Minister of Justice thinks that by means of interruptions, contrary to the procedure of this house, he is going to dissuade me from quoting from this book-

Topic:   COMMUNIST ACTIVITIES IN CANADA

Stuart Sinclair Garson (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Mr. Garson:

On a point of privilege, Mr. Speaker, I want my hon. friend to withdraw that remark.

May 9, 1950