April 17, 1950

OLD AGE PENSIONS

MEANS TEST

Brooke Claxton (Minister of National Defence)

Hon. Brooke Claxton (Minister of National Defence):

Mr. Speaker, only after the house had adjourned for the Easter recess did I discover that, speaking on March 30, 1950, while I was attending the North Atlantic treaty meeting at The Hague, the hon. member for Lake Centre (Mr. Diefenbaker) was reported at page 1396 of Hansard as having said:

I cannot see this committee carrying out some of the promises made during the election campaign. The minister said that at no time was there ever any suggestion by any minister of the crown of the removal of the means test. That is as I understood his challenge. Well, I checked up the records, and I found that the Minister of National Defence (Mr. Claxton) made a radio address from Montreal on June 16, 1949, over station CFCF, and that was pretty close to the election. This is what the minister said . . .

And the hon. member has accurately quoted the newspaper report.

The government will do away with the means test for old age pensions.

That is the end of the quotatiori of what I was reported to have said. Then the hon. member concluded his remarks by saying:

That is contained in the radio speech as reported in the Montreal press.

That is the end of the quotation from the hon. member's remarks. Actually I never mentioned the means test in my radio speech. What I did say was:

The Liberal aim is a nation-wide plan of contributory pensions which will help everyone to enjoy a comfortable and secure old age-automatically and as a right.

This, of course, is part of the Liberal platform, as in effect since 1945.

Topic:   OLD AGE PENSIONS
Subtopic:   MEANS TEST
Sub-subtopic:   REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON MARCH 30

John George Diefenbaker

Mr. Diefenbaker:

The minister was mis-reported?

Topic:   OLD AGE PENSIONS
Subtopic:   MEANS TEST
Sub-subtopic:   REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON MARCH 30

Brooke Claxton (Minister of National Defence)

Mr. Claxton:

Yes, in this one report only. Two other newspaper reports I have since seen are correct; but in one report I was misreported. It was in no way due to my hon. friend that this mistake occurred.

Topic:   OLD AGE PENSIONS
Subtopic:   MEANS TEST
Sub-subtopic:   REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON MARCH 30

John George Diefenbaker

Mr. Diefenbaker:

No; I was quoting from the press.

Topic:   OLD AGE PENSIONS
Subtopic:   MEANS TEST
Sub-subtopic:   REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON MARCH 30

Brooke Claxton (Minister of National Defence)

Mr. Claxton:

That is right.

Topic:   OLD AGE PENSIONS
Subtopic:   MEANS TEST
Sub-subtopic:   REFERENCE TO REMARKS IN DEBATE ON MARCH 30

URANIUM

GUARANTEED MINIMUM PRICE FOR PURCHASE IN ORES AND CONCENTRATES

Clarence Decatur Howe (Minister of Trade and Commerce)

Right Hon. C. D. Howe (Minister of Trade and Commerce):

Mr. Speaker, I wish to make a statement regarding the purchase of uranium ore.

On March 16, 1948, I announced to the house the policies which had been established in connection with the purchase of uranium in ores and concentrates. These policies involved the establishment of a minimum price which was guaranteed for five years from March 31, 1948. With a view to encouraging further prospecting for radioactive minerals, I announced on December 20, 1948, that the period of the guarantee had been extended by two years, that is, until March 31, 1955. In recent weeks the advisory mining committee on radioactive minerals has been giving consideration to a possible further extension of the guarantee period. The committee has recommended that the period of the guarantee be extended to Mardh 31, 1958, and the government has concurred in that recommendation. It is hoped that this further extension will provide an additional incentive to the search for radioactive ores.

In my announcement of March 16, 1948, I stated that the price for the uranium content of ores or concentrates would be at the minimum rate of $2.75 per pound of contained UsOs f.o.to. rail. I stated further-and I quote from my announcement:

Under special circumstances consideration may be given to the payment of a higher price or to the acceptance of ores or concentrates of a lower grade.

In response to numerous inquiries regarding the application of this special price provision of the purchasing policy, Eldorado Mining and Refining (1944) Limited, the designated purchasing agent for uranium in ores or concentrates, has now established a formula to be used as the basis for negotiating special prices. The details of the formula will be announced shortly by Eldorado Mining and Refining (1944) Limited.

The extension of the period during which a guaranteed price will apply, combined with definite information as to the basis of establishing special prices, will, I think, be helpful to the mining interests concerned with the production of uranium ore.

Uranium

Topic:   URANIUM
Subtopic:   GUARANTEED MINIMUM PRICE FOR PURCHASE IN ORES AND CONCENTRATES

Howard Charles Green

Mr. Green:

Are the quantities of uranium ore now being produced considered by the government to be satisfactory?

Topic:   URANIUM
Subtopic:   GUARANTEED MINIMUM PRICE FOR PURCHASE IN ORES AND CONCENTRATES

Clarence Decatur Howe (Minister of Trade and Commerce)

Mr. Howe:

The government has no reason to be dissatisfied. We would like to have more, but we have sufficient for our own purposes and have a surplus to sell to other friendly governments.

Topic:   URANIUM
Subtopic:   GUARANTEED MINIMUM PRICE FOR PURCHASE IN ORES AND CONCENTRATES

George Stanley White

Mr. While (Hastings-Pelerborough):

Would the minister care to comment on the price paid in the United States as compared with the Canadian price?

Topic:   URANIUM
Subtopic:   GUARANTEED MINIMUM PRICE FOR PURCHASE IN ORES AND CONCENTRATES

Clarence Decatur Howe (Minister of Trade and Commerce)

Mr. Howe:

That will be made clear when the formula is announced. The formula has been approved by the government, but it seems to me rather complicated. I am told it is quite intelligible to mining men, but it was not intelligible to me, and therefore I suggested that the mining men who understand it had better announce it. I understand that the formula will be announced tomorrow.

Topic:   URANIUM
Subtopic:   GUARANTEED MINIMUM PRICE FOR PURCHASE IN ORES AND CONCENTRATES

ORDERS IN COUNCIL

TABLING OF SUMMARY MARCH 1, 1950, TO MARCH 31, 1950

Right Hon. L. S.@

I should like to follow the established practice of tabling promptly a summary of orders in council; I now table the summary for the period March 1 to March 31, 1950. As agreed to by the house, this summary does not include a summary of treasury board minutes.

Topic:   ORDERS IN COUNCIL
Subtopic:   TABLING OF SUMMARY MARCH 1, 1950, TO MARCH 31, 1950

John George Diefenbaker

Mr. Diefenbaker:

Would it be possible for a member to secure, on request, a summary of the treasury board minutes?

Topic:   ORDERS IN COUNCIL
Subtopic:   TABLING OF SUMMARY MARCH 1, 1950, TO MARCH 31, 1950

Louis Stephen St-Laurent (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Mr. St. Laurent:

Yes, but I hope that the request will not be made too frequently, because to prepare them involves a lot of work. There will be the greatest possible desire to comply promptly with any reasonable request for information about any treasury board minute.

Topic:   ORDERS IN COUNCIL