March 8, 1949

Clayton Wesley Hodgson

Mr. C. W. Hodgson (Victoria, Oni.):

Mr. Speaker, in taking part in this debate I wish to extend the usual congratulations to the mover (Mr. Brown) and the seconder (Mr. Demers) of the address in reply to the speech from the throne. I also wish to congratulate the new members who have entered the house for the first time at this session, and I want to congratulate them on their maiden speeches in the house. There have been one or two members, however, who have made speeches over the week end at home and at other places other than the House of Commons, on which I cannot offer them the same congratulations. The member for Ontario (Mr. Williams), as reported in the Globe and Mail of February 28, said in effect to a group of his own home town people that if labour was as delinquent as the members of the House of Commons the factories and plants would have to shut down. I do not think it behooves

any member of the House of Commons to speak of his colleagues in that manner. To me that represents typical socialist or communistic utterances and tactics. I suggest that probably some of the group to whom he was speaking swallowed it holus-bolus, hook, line and sinker, but all I should like to say to him is that those who live in glass houses should undress in the dark.

Since I read the article on Monday morning, February 28,1 have taken the opportunity to watch that member. I can assure you that I have checked and double-checked, and he has put in as few hours in the house as any other member of parliament. I do not want to be giving advice to anybody, because I have only been here since 1945 myself. I am sorry that he is not here now.

I should like to ramble a little and refer to a few remarks that have been made by some other members who have not been too long in the house. I should like to refer first to the hon. member for Halifax (Mr. Dickey). Speaking in the house he had this to say, as recorded at page 747 of Hansard:

-and it was the action of this government which made it possible to put the member for Cartier in the penitentiary.

He meant the former member; he acknowledged that afterwards. Then again on page 750 he said:

-that the government had taken action that made possible the sending to the penitentiary of the former member for Cartier, and received little support from the opposite side of the house in doing so.

The members on this side of the house do not happen to be the government.

Some hon. Members:

Hear, hear.

Clayton Wesley Hodgson

Mr. Hodgson:

Do not applaud or laugh too loudly because those who laugh last laugh best. .

CCF

Stanley Howard Knowles (Whip of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation)

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. Knowles:

You mean they are slow in seeing the joke.

Clayton Wesley Hodgson

Mr. Hodgson:

I would say that the member for Halifax was born about eighty-two years too late, because it was not this government that made it possible to arrest a spy in this country. It was the government of Sir John A. Macdonald shortly after confederation.

Maurice Hartt

Mr. Harit:

What would you have done without Sir John A. Macdonald?

Clayton Wesley Hodgson

Mr. Hodgson:

I guess I would have got along as you have.

Gordon Graydon

Mr. Graydon:

How are you getting along without the right hon. member for Glengarry (Mr. Mackenzie King)? That is the thing.

Clayton Wesley Hodgson

Mr. Hodgson:

The member for Halifax never gave any credit to the Royal Canadian

Mounted Police, or to the courts of the land. In his mind the government seemed to do the whole job. I hope he did not leave the inference that the government has a stop-and-go sign on the administration of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. The only one I have heard say anything about communism in Canada is the present leader of the official opposition (Mr. Drew), and the leader of the Progressive Conservative party at that time, John Bracken. I never heard anything from any of the members on that side of the house.

CCF

Stanley Howard Knowles (Whip of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation)

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. Knowles:

It was a coalition government he led in Manitoba.

Gordon Graydon

Mr. Graydon:

You fellows were in it at one time, too.

An hon. Member:

Don't take Ontario's name in vain.

Clayton Wesley Hodgson

Mr. Hodgson:

If you remember, it was the leader of this party, the hon. member for Neepawa (Mr. Bracken)-

Some hon. Members:

Which one?

Clayton Wesley Hodgson

Mr. Hodgson:

-at that time. You know quite well.

CCF

Stanley Howard Knowles (Whip of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation)

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. Knowles:

Time flies.

Clayton Wesley Hodgson

Mr. Hodgson:

He was the only leader in the house who moved the adjournment of the house to discuss that important issue. That brings me to the point where I wish to refer tb the speech made by the hon. member for Dufferin-Simcoe (Mr. Rowe). He arrived at the point where there was about to be a marriage between the socialist party and the Liberal party. If you do not believe me, look it up in Hansard; you will see it there. I should like to say to the hon. member for Dufferin-Simcoe that I believe the wedding has been consummated, because just a few weeks ago the Minister of Agriculture (Mr. Gardiner) was speaking in a town in my riding, the town of Lindsay. He said there that the C.C.F. party is the party which talks socialism but the Liberal party is the party that puts it into action.

Subtopic:   CONTINUATION OF DEBATE ON ADDRESS IN REPLY

James Garfield Gardiner (Minister of Agriculture)

Mr. Gardiner:

That is a new version of his speech.

Clayton Wesley Hodgson

Mr. Hodgson:

As reported by the press, the hon. member went on to say what the government had done in the past and he spoke about great things that the government was going to do in the future.

March 8, 1949