May 17, 1948

On the orders of the day:

CCF

Major James William Coldwell

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. M. J. COLDWELL (Rosetown-Biggar):

Mr. Speaker, may I direct a question to the Secretary of State for External Affairs? Will the minister tell the house what is the attitude of the government of Canada towards the proclamation of the new state of Israel?

Right Hon. L. S. ST. LAURENT (Secretary of State for External Affairs): Mr. Speaker, I would prefer to make no statement at this moment. The recognition of a new state is a matter of very serious consequence.

Topic:   QUESTIONS PASSED AS ORDERS FOR RETURNS
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Sub-subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO RECOGNITION OF STATE OF ISRAEL
SC

Norman Jaques

Social Credit

Mr. JAQUES:

Hear, hear.

Mr. ST. LAURENT: The government is appraising the situation, as well as the possible consequences and implications of recognition, and as soon as it is possible to come to a conclusion I shall be glad to inform the house.

Topic:   QUESTIONS PASSED AS ORDERS FOR RETURNS
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Sub-subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO RECOGNITION OF STATE OF ISRAEL
IND

Jean-François Pouliot

Independent Liberal

Mr. POULIOT:

It was the labouring rebirth of a nation.

Topic:   QUESTIONS PASSED AS ORDERS FOR RETURNS
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
Sub-subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO RECOGNITION OF STATE OF ISRAEL

JAPANESE MINES

MENACE TO NAVIGATION NEAR WEST COAST OF VANCOUVER ISLAND

On the orders of the day:

IND

John Lambert Gibson

Independent Liberal

Mr. J. L. GIBSON (Comox-Alberni):

I should like to direct a question either to the Minister of Transport or to the Minister of National Defence. In view of the number of Japanese mines which are reported floating near the west coast of Vancouver island, what steps are being taken by these departments of government to search out these mines and remove the menace to navigation?

Topic:   JAPANESE MINES
Subtopic:   MENACE TO NAVIGATION NEAR WEST COAST OF VANCOUVER ISLAND

Brooke Claxton (Minister of National Defence)

Hon. BROOKE CLAXTON (Minister of National Defence):

I shall be glad to look into the question and give the hon. member a reply later.

Topic:   JAPANESE MINES
Subtopic:   MENACE TO NAVIGATION NEAR WEST COAST OF VANCOUVER ISLAND

FLOOD CONDITIONS

QUESTION OF ASSISTANCE TO FARMERS IN MANITOBA

On the orders of the day:

CCF

William Scottie Bryce

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. WILLIAM BRYCE (Selkirk):

I wish to direct a question to the Minister of Agriculture. In his absence perhaps the acting minister or his assistant will look after it. In view of the terrible flood conditions which are still taking place in Manitoba, can the minister say what help is being given through the Prairie

Export oj Fish Livers

Farm Assistance Act or other agency to assist farmers who are suffering because of this catastrophe?

Topic:   FLOOD CONDITIONS
Subtopic:   QUESTION OF ASSISTANCE TO FARMERS IN MANITOBA

CO-OPERATION OF OFFICERS AND SOLDIERS IN PORTAGE LA PRAIRIE

Calvert Charlton Miller

Mr. C. C. MILLER (Portage la Prairie):

May I direct a question to the Minister of National Defence? If I may have your indulgence, Mr. Speaker, and the indulgence of the house before putting the question, I should like to give some facts. The flood situation is extremely bad in the riding which I have the honour to represent. During the last week or ten days, farmers and citizens of Portage la Prairie have been striving to hold back the river by supporting the dikes and so on. It has been a night and day job. I should like to ask the minister if he realizes the very great assistance which has been given to the citizens and farmers by the officers and soldiers of the military district in that area in building up and guarding the dikes and affording relief to those who have been stranded by the waters.

Topic:   CO-OPERATION OF OFFICERS AND SOLDIERS IN PORTAGE LA PRAIRIE

Brooke Claxton (Minister of National Defence)

Hon. BROOKE CLAXTON (Minister of National Defence):

Mr. Speaker, I appreciate the remarks of the hon. member and I shall be glad to see that they are called to the attention of the appropriate officers and men.

Hon. DOUGLAS ABBOTT (Minister of Finance) moved that the house go into committee of supply.

Topic:   CO-OPERATION OF OFFICERS AND SOLDIERS IN PORTAGE LA PRAIRIE

EXPORT OF FISH LIVERS-DISTRIBUTION OF NAILS -BRITISH MARKET FOR B.C. APPLES

CCF

Harry Grenfell Archibald

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. H. G. ARCHIBALD (Skeena):

Mr. Speaker, before we go into supply there is a question I should like to bring to the attention of the house. I do it at this time because I shall be leaving shortly-

Topic:   EXPORT OF FISH LIVERS-DISTRIBUTION OF NAILS -BRITISH MARKET FOR B.C. APPLES

George Alexander Cruickshank

Mr. CRUICKSHANK:

Where are you going?

CCF

Harry Grenfell Archibald

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. ARCHIBALD: