May 14, 1948

James MacKerras Macdonnell

Mr. MACDONNELL (Muskoka-Ontario):

As long as they do, I am content.

Topic:   HEALTH SERVICES
Subtopic:   GRANTS TO PROVINCES-STATEMENT WITH RESPECT TO HEALTH INSURANCE AND SOCIAL SECURITY

William Lyon Mackenzie King (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Mr. MACKENZIE KING:

In conclusion may I say how greatly pleased I am that this house should have accepted this program, in the spirit in which it has. I believe that the people of Canada will be tremendously satisfied when they learn that these proposals have received the general approval which they have received in the house today.

Topic:   HEALTH SERVICES

John Bracken (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. BRACKEN:

May I ask one other question? Has provision been made already in the estimates for the expenditures involved by this program, or will new proposals have to be brought down to meet the expenditures?

Topic:   HEALTH SERVICES

William Lyon Mackenzie King (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Mr. MACKENZIE KING:

Perhaps my hon. friend did not hear me, but I said that the expenditures that would be required by this program would appear in supplementary estimates which would be introduced at this session.

Health Services

Mr. COLD WELL@

Do I understand that this is to be done by way of supplementary estimates and that there will be no bill?

Topic:   HEALTH SERVICES

William Lyon Mackenzie King (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Mr. MACKENZIE KING:

No bill, no.

William Earl Rowe

Mr. ROWE:

Will the supplementary estimates be brought down before June 7?

Topic:   HEALTH SERVICES

William Lyon Mackenzie King (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Mr. MACKENZIE KING:

I do not know what my hon. friend has in mind. I cannot say when the Minister of Finance will bring them down.

IND

John Lambert Gibson

Independent Liberal

Mr. GIBSON (Comox-Alberni):

Mr. Speaker

Topic:   HEALTH SERVICES

James Horace King (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

I would call the attention of hon. members to the fact that the Prime Minister made a statement and I permitted the leaders of the different groups to make comments upon that statement; then there were a number of supplementary questions. Hon. members will realize that debate is not permissible at this stage.

George Alexander Cruickshank

Mr. CRUICKSHANK:

On a question of privilege, is there not a rule of this house that entitles an hon. member to speak? The hon. member for Comox-Alberni is an independent.

[Later: ]

On the orders of the day:

IND

John Lambert Gibson

Independent Liberal

Mr. J. L. GIBSON (Comox-Alberni) :

With regard to the Prime Minister's statement, I am curious to know whether Quebec and Ontario stand to share equally, in the benefits the Prime Minister has announced, with the other provinces which have signed agreements with the dominion in regard to income tax.

Topic:   HEALTH SERVICES

William Lyon Mackenzie King (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

The answer is yes.

IND

John Lambert Gibson

Independent Liberal

Mr. GIBSON (Comox-Alberni):

Do I understand that the grants in aid are contingent upon the provinces maintaining their present levels of expenditure on social welfare?

Topic:   HEALTH SERVICES

William Lyon Mackenzie King (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Mr. MACKENZIE KING:

I think that was stated in what I said.

IND

John Lambert Gibson

Independent Liberal

Mr. GIBSON (Comox-Alberni):

In British Columbia, the province from which I come, we shall be forced to maintain the present sales tax of three per cent which we have been obliged to put into effect because certain funds were not returned to us by the dominion.

Topic:   HEALTH SERVICES

William Lyon Mackenzie King (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Mr. MACKENZIE KING:

I should not like to enter into an argument with my hon. friend at the moment. These matters might be allowed to come up for discussion in detail .later.

BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE

PRIVATE BILLS-SUSPENSION OF STANDING ORDER 15 FOR SITTING OF MAY 18

William Lyon Mackenzie King (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

As the house is aware, the Minister of Finance proposes to present the budget on Tuesday evening. In Votes and Proceedings of yesterday hon. members will find a notice that I had placed there reading:

That standing order 15 in relation to the consideration of private and public bills on Tuesdays and Fridays be suspended for the sitting of Tuesday, May 18 instant, notwithstanding the special order passed on April 8, in relation thereto.

That motion is just to suspend the hour for private bills so as to enable the Minister of Finance to make his statement on Tuesday evening. If there is no objection, the motion might be put immediately.

Topic:   BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE