March 5, 1948

SC

Charles Edward Johnston

Social Credit

Mr. JOHNSTON:

I was paired with the hon. member for Hal ton (Mr. Cleaver). Had I voted, I would have voted against your ruling.

Harry Oliver White

Mr. WHITE (Middlesex East):

I was paired with the hon. member for Middlesex West (Mr. McCubbin). Had I voted, I would have voted against your ruling.

CCF

Major James William Coldwell

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. COLDWELL:

On a question of privilege, Mr. Speaker, earlier this afternoon I attempted to move the adjournment of the house under standing order 31, for the purpose of discussing the matter of the removal of commercial rentals control, and I accepted your interpretation of the rule. But may I suggest that I am now denied the right to discuss this matter; having already exhausted my right to speak on the address I have no other opportunity of dealing with it in this debate.

Subtopic:   CONTINUATION OF DEBATE ON ADDRESS IN REPLY

Douglas Charles Abbott (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. ABBOTT:

And many others cannot.

Joseph-Arthur Bradette

Mr. BRADETTE:

You have some good men behind you.

Subtopic:   CONTINUATION OF DEBATE ON ADDRESS IN REPLY

James Horace King (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

Order. The hon. member has spoken already on the amendment-

CCF

Major James William Coldwell

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. COLDWELL:

Subtopic:   CONTINUATION OF DEBATE ON ADDRESS IN REPLY

James Horace King (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

-so he will have the privilege of speaking on the main motion.

CCF

Major James William Coldwell

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. COLDWELL:

No; I spoke on the main motion.

Subtopic:   CONTINUATION OF DEBATE ON ADDRESS IN REPLY

James Horace King (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

In order to avoid any confusion, I have just asked the Clerk of the

house when it was that the hon. member spoke, and I find that I was right. He spoke oni the amendment moved by the leader of the opposition, so he still has the right to speak on the main motion.

CCF

Major James William Coldwell

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. COLDWELL:

The only question I would raise is this. Should we not reach the main motion today, and as the .rent controls are to be lifted on March 8, I should be unable to bring the matter up in time to discuss it. That is the point.

Subtopic:   CONTINUATION OF DEBATE ON ADDRESS IN REPLY

James Horace King (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

It is up to the house to decide its own business, but it is the duty of the Speaker to apply the rules.

(Translation):

IND

Liguori Lacombe

Independent

Mr. LIGUORI LACOMBE (Laval-Two Mountains):

When the debate adjourned last night, I was stating that, in view of the events which have just taken place, it was not suprising to see that the communist party remained legal in Canada.

(Text):

Subtopic:   CONTINUATION OF DEBATE ON ADDRESS IN REPLY

James Horace King (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

Order. It was called to our attention yesterday by the hon. member for Durham (Mr. Stephenson) that after the orders of the day are called there is always a great deal of confusion in the chamber. His remarks were applauded by hon. members on both sides of the house. However, in spite of what he said, the noise continues from hon. members on both sides, to a point where it is really impossible to hear the hon. member for Laval-Two Mountains (Mr. Lacombe). Therefore I would ask hon. members to keep silence so that the hon. member who has the floor may have an opportunity to be heard.

(Translation): [DOT]

IND

Liguori Lacombe

Independent

Mr. LACOMBE:

Here is the first paragraph of the statement attributed to the Mounted Police:

On December 2, 1947, the Minister of External Affairs requested the Minister of Justice to instruct the Commissioner of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police to ascertain the then location of the missing Polish art treasures and further, if the missing articles were located, to endeavour to keep ithe same under surveillance until a decision could be reached as to what action might be taken by the Polish legation.

"As to what action might be taken by the Polish legation". If words still convey a meaning, then this means that the Polish legation in Canada was and still is considered by the Secretary of State for External Affairs (Mr. St. Laurent) as having full power to dispose of the Polish art treasures.

An hon. MEMBER:

Oh, no!

Joseph Arthur Lesage

Mr. LESAGE:

Would the hon. member allow me a question?

IND

Liguori Lacombe

Independent

Mr. LACOMBE:

Shall we infer-

The Address-Mr. Lacombe

Joseph Arthur Lesage

Mr. LESAGE:

Mr. Speaker-

IND

Liguori Lacombe

Independent

Mr. LACOMBE:

I beg my hon. friend to keep cool and not to interrupt me before knowing at least what I am going to say.

March 5, 1948