February 13, 1948

CCF

Clarence Gillis

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. GILLIS:

Try to do something for the 4,500 unemployed in Halifax.

Gordon Benjamin Isnor

Mr. ISNOR:

I am glad the hon. member mentioned the unemployed. I was interested in a statement made by Mr. N. L. Rolfe, whom I am sure the hon. member knows. He is president of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, and he says that there were 900 communists in the city of Halifax who are not at all concerned about getting or seeking employment. Like the hon. member for Cape Breton South I am anxious to encourage industry in every possible way, and that is why I offer constructive suggestions from time to time instead of simply criticizing.

The hon. member mentioned the situation at Sydney in coal and steel, particularly steel. He has no love for Dosco, and I hold no brief for Dosco because it is well able to take care of itself. I should like to put on record a statement made by Mr. Anson, the general manager of Dosco at Sydney: He says:

A $4,000,000 construction on a battery of 53 coke ovens of the "most modern design" will start early in the spring.

CCF

Clarence Gillis

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. GILLIS:

Early in spring-just like the causeway.

Gordon Benjamin Isnor

Mr. ISNOR:

I regret you cannot take it. The report continues:

Mr. Anson said the new project would replace "part of the present set-up which has outlived its usefulness."

The ovens to be replaced by the new battery had been in operation about thirty years, Mr. Anson said, although average life was twenty-five years. The new battery of fifty-three ovens will produce as much coke as seventy-five or eighty-five ovens of the present design, Mr. Anson stated.

Mr. Anson estimated the construction work would take about eighteen months. It is estimated the project will employ an average of 150 men a day.

Mr. Anson's announcement was the biggest story in Sydney steel in years, and added fuel to the fires of speculation that the sprawling Sydney mills are on the verge of a far-reaching expansion program.

During recent weeks the coke ovens situation has been the cause of concern, and according to reliable reports the domestic coke supply will be limited this winter.

Which we know to be true. I continue:

But before operations bogged down as a result of the coke ovens "operational difficulties," production records were cracked in the open hearth, and in fact new all-time marks were registered.

I felt, Mr. Speaker, that I should put that on the record to show that the company-even though it is not held in very high regard by the hon. member for Cape Breton South- was endeavouring to help industry and bring about better conditions and more employment in that part of my province.

CCF

Clarence Gillis

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. GILLIS:

There are 2,200 veterans in that area.

Gordon Benjamin Isnor

Mr. ISNOR:

There is another matter to which I should like to refer. I mentioned a moment ago that last April I suggested that a scientific research centre be set up in Nova Scotia. I am pleased to note that in this same publication there appears a dispatch from Halifax which reads as follows-

CCF

Clarence Gillis

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. GILLIS:

Just for the record, what is the hon. member quoting from?

Gordon Benjamin Isnor

Mr. ISNOR:

I think I might say to the hon. member I am quoting from a publication that is not particularly unfriendly to him. It has done him very good service in the past and is continuing to do so.

CCF

Clarence Gillis

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. GILLIS:

What is it?

Gordon Benjamin Isnor

Mr. ISNOR:

It is called, "Business-Grams issued by The Halifax Herald and the Halifax Mail. The Voice of Nova-The Choice of Nova Scotia." Has the hon. member any objection to that source? The quotation is as follows-

CCF

Clarence Gillis

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. GILLIS:

I should like to give the Herald credit on the record.

Gordon Benjamin Isnor

Mr. ISNOR:

The hon. member will be able to give it credit in a minute; that is why I am reading it.

Subtopic:   CONTINUATION OF DEBATE ON ADDRESS IN REPLY

James Horace King (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

I must remind the hon. member for Cape Breton South that it is against the rules to interrupt an hon. member who has the floor without his permission.

CCF

Clarence Gillis

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. GILLIS:

On that point, Mr. Speaker,

I suggest that the hon. member for Halifax make his speech to the house through you, and not to me.

John Sylvester Aloysius Sinnott

Mr. SINNOTT:

It is getting under your skin, is it?

Subtopic:   CONTINUATION OF DEBATE ON ADDRESS IN REPLY

Robert Henry Winters (Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of National Revenue)

Mr. WINTERS:

A little too pointed.

Gordon Benjamin Isnor

Mr. ISNOR:

May I bring to your attention, Mr. Speaker, a further dispatch in the publication to which I refer, which reads as follows:

Halifax's new national research council laboratory, designed to serve the three maritime provinces, will be a three-storey structure erected to the east of the science building on Dalhousie university campus at a cost -which might run as high as $300,000.

The Address-Mr. Isnor

This announcement was made recently by Dr. G. H. Henderson of the physics department at Dalhousie, and Nova Scotia member of the national research council, following his return from a meeting of the council at which further plans for the institution were formulated.

The building, larger than originally proposed, will be 90 by 50 feet with an ell in the rear for flexible provision for use of pilot plants in the work of the regional laboratory's 50-man staff, half of which will be composed of professional scientists.

I was pleased to note that, Mr. Speaker, because it brings into being something I suggested last April and which I have every reason to believe will be of real benefit not only to the particular section represented by the hon. member for Cape Breton South, but also to the whole of the province of Nova Scotia and perhaps to the maritimes in general.

CCF

Clarence Gillis

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. GILLIS:

Hear, hear.

Gordon Benjamin Isnor

Mr. ISNOR:

I am glad to hear the hon.

member say "hear, hear". At last he is beginning to realize that there is something of a constructive nature being offered.

There was a further dispatch-and I shall quote this for the benefit of the hon. member for Cape Breton South-which appeared in the Truro Daily Neies of Monday, February 9, 1948, and which reads as follows:

Coal Resources Will be Developed

Halifax. Feb.8-Inauguration of a long-term program designed to develop Nova Scotia coal resources was announced here Saturday by Dr. Robert D. Howland, vice-president of the Nova Scotia Research Foundation, following a two-day conference sponsored by the foundation.

Dr. Howland said one of the aims of the program would be to encourage substitution of Nova Scotia coal for American fuel oil.

The research program will include the following:

1. Geographical surveys to determine more exactly the extent and nature of provincial coal deposits.

2. Physical and chemical surveys to determine the quality and burning characteristics of various Nova Scotia coals.

3. Investigation and adjustment of combination equipment to promote the wider use of Nova Scotia coal.

CCF

Clarence Gillis

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. GILLIS:

That will be next spring.

February 13, 1948