February 13, 1948

SEED GRAIN

QUESTION OP PROVIDING BANK OP SEED FOR SPRING SOWING IN EAST

On the orders of the day:

George James Tustin

Mr. G. J. TUSTIN (Prince Edward-Lennox):

I should like to direct a question to the Minister of Agriculture. Because of weather conditions last year the farmers of eastern Canada had very light crops, particularly of grain. Will the government give consideration to providing a bank of seed grains at reasonable prices in time for spring seeding by the farmers of eastern Canada?

Topic:   SEED GRAIN
Subtopic:   QUESTION OP PROVIDING BANK OP SEED FOR SPRING SOWING IN EAST

James Garfield Gardiner (Minister of Agriculture)

Right Hon. J. G. GARDINER (Minister of Agriculture):

The matter of providing seed grain to the farmers in the different provinces has always been taken care of by the provincial governments. So far as I know up to the moment we have had no applications from eastern provincial governments for any action.

Topic:   SEED GRAIN
Subtopic:   QUESTION OP PROVIDING BANK OP SEED FOR SPRING SOWING IN EAST

GOVERNOR GENERAL'S SPEECH

CONTINUATION OF DEBATE ON ADDRESS IN REPLY

The house resumed from Wednesday, February 11, consideration of the motion of Mr. J. A. Dion for an address to His Excellency the Governor General in reply to his speech at the opening of the session, and the amendment thereto of Mr. Bracken, and the amendment to the amendment of Mr. Coldwell. Mr. GORDON B. ISNOR (Halifax): Mr. Speaker, when the house adjourned on Wednesday I was replying to a statement which had been made by the hon. member for Cape Breton South (Mr. Gillis). I had expressed the view, which I know is held by the majority of the members from the mari-times, that it was to be regretted that the hon. member for Cape Breton South and other members of the C.C.F. group had gone to such lengths to decry the possibilities of the mari-times, particularly of the province of Nova Scotia. In his remarks the hon. member for Cape Breton South had questioned the accuracy of statements made by the Minister of Trade and Commerce (Mr. Howe) when he spoke to the Halifax board of trade last Monday evening. He had also referred to a statement which I had made that considerable work was to be carried on at the port of Halifax, and he likewise questioned the accuracy of that statement. I inquired of the hon. member whether he was in position to indicate whether the statement I had made was correct, and he replied, as reported on page 1105 of Hansard'. I do not know anything about it. But if it is on a par with the statement issued by the Minister of Trade and Commerce, then it leaves a question in my mind whether it will relieve the situation which I know exists down there. The hon. member for Cape Breton South went on to give a dreary and dismal picture of conditions in Halifax and Nova Scotia generally; and he referred to the fact that I was a member of the reconstruction committee which sat in 1942. He was very sure of that statement. While I did not correct him at the time, I wish to state for his benefit that I was not a member of that committee in 1942. I should like to deal now with the hon. member's statement about coal. This is one subject which the hon. member for Cape Breton South should know' something about because he comes from a mining district. Hon. members of the house who are not as familiar with the subject expect him to give us information of a helpful nature. I recall that this question was discussed last April when something like 13,000 miners were out on strike. At that time I said I felt that greater production would be helpful, and that it was necessary for us in Nova Scotia to make the best possible use of our coal. Having suggested that increased production would help I was reminded that that strike cost the province of Nova Scotia something like one million tons of coal w-hich otherwise would have been produced during that time. I also took occasion to suggest to the Minister of Trade and Commerce and the government that if possible a scientific research centre should be set up in Nova Scotia with a pilot plant to look into the possibilities of developing the by-products of our coal industry. I The Address-Mr. Isnor said that if that were done I believed it would have a marked effect on the future of our coal operations. I stated that I was throwing out that suggestion to the cabinet, at the same time hoping the hon. member for Cape Breton South, with his knowledge of the coal industry of his own native province, would co-operate and offer some constructive suggestions which would help solve the difficulty which existed. As I say, I was hopeful that the hon. member would offer some constructive suggestions in regard to the greater use of our coal. But apparently he was not as much concerned about that as he was in sowing seeds of discontent and creating the impression that our province was backward and had very few possibilities. A week or so ago, on Tuesday, January 27, the hon. member made a speech in this house and again referred to the question of coal. He was speaking on the import and export regulations which had been brought into effect. At page 596 of Hansard, referring to the industrial centres in Ontario and Quebec, he said: All the United States has to do at any time at all, if she wants to cripple and paralyse this country, is to withhold her fuel. By withholding her coal she can close down every industry in this country within a very short time.

CCF

Clarence Gillis

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. GILLIS:

What's the matter with that?

Gordon Benjamin Isnor

Mr. ISNOR:

The hon. member nods his head and states that that is so. We are all interested in hearing what the hon. member has to say about coal, but I was certainly surprised at that statement of his. I wondered if he had endeavoured to look into the facts before making it. I was sufficiently interested to go into the question fully in order to get the facts accurately, and so I made inquiry. My question read:

What proportion of industry in Canada is operated by (a) steam, produced from coal; (b) electrical energy produced by hydro; (c) fuel oil?

What did we learn? We learned that in the area the hon. member no doubt had in mind, the industrial centres of Quebec and Ontario, only 9-4 per cent of industry in Quebec province is operated under steam produced by coal; 2-7 per cent by oil, and 87-9 by hydro. I think the hon. member should be more careful of his statements.

CCF

Clarence Gillis

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. GILLIS:

May I ask a question?

Gordon Benjamin Isnor

Mr. ISNOR:

I shall be pleased.

CCF

Clarence Gillis

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. GILLIS:

That 9-4 per cent represents the basic industries, and if they were closed

down, the other ninety per cent of industries which are fabricating would have to close down.

Gordon Benjamin Isnor

Mr. ISNOR:

I will give the hon. member some further information.

CCF

Clarence Gillis

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. GILLIS:

I am giving you some now.

Gordon Benjamin Isnor

Mr. ISNOR:

I will give him further

information so that he will not spread all over the country extravagant statements which are not in accordance with the facts. The figures for Ontario are just about the same as those for Quebec: steam, 15-4 per cent; oil, 3-8 per cent; hydro, 80-8 per cent. That is in central Canada where electrical energy is largely used. The same is true of Manitoba: steam, 10-5 per cent; oil, 5 per cent; hydro, 84-5 per cent.

The hon. member will no doubt ask about our own maritime provinces. During the time the hon. member was on his feet speaking of coal we were not producing enough coal to supply the demand in our own maritime provinces. That is to be regretted, and it is why I am very anxious to see production rise to the highest possible peak. I was indeed pleased the other evening to read the figures given by the Minister of Trade and Commerce in Halifax, showing that there was an increased production in the Cape Breton fields and in Nova Scotia mines which would help to relieve the situation.

I will now give the corresponding figures for New Brunswick: steam, 45-2 per cent- of course coal is produced right in that province; oil, 5-2 per cent; hydro, 49-6 per cent. Prince Edward Island: steam, 49-7 per cent; oil 20-5 per cent; hydro, 29-8 per cent.

In our own native province which the hon. member for Cape Breton South and I, along with other members have the honour to represent, we have a big field but as yet we have not developed the use of coal to the extent which I hope will be the outcome of present research activities. The figures for Nova Scotia are: steam produced from coal, 57-3 per cent; oil, 8-1 per cent; hydro, 34-6 per cent. There is still a field for the greater use of the products of our coal mines even in our own province, and I do not think it helps the situation for the hon. member for Cape Breton South to go round making statements belittling the possibilities in our own section of the country.

CCF

Clarence Gillis

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. GILLIS:

Are you opposed to developing our own industry?

Gordon Benjamin Isnor

Mr. ISNOR:

I am very much in favour of it.

11S6

The Address-Mr. Isnor

CCF

Clarence Gillis

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. GILLIS:

That is exactly what I was arguing for, but now you are making the case bad for us.

Gordon Benjamin Isnor

Mr. ISNOR:

If the hon. member will do the same as I do, listen and then reply or ask intelligent questions, I shall be pleased to answer him.

February 13, 1948