February 6, 1948

BARBARA ANN SCOTT

WINNING OF OLYMPIC WOMEN'S FIGURE SKATING

Daniel (Dan) McIvor

Mr. DANIEL McIVOR (Fort William):

Mr. Speaker, I should like to ask the Prime Minister if he has been keeping an eagle and admiring eye upon the leading lady athlete of the whole world who is now representing Canada at the Olympics, the champion woman figure skater of the world?

Topic:   BARBARA ANN SCOTT
Subtopic:   WINNING OF OLYMPIC WOMEN'S FIGURE SKATING
Sub-subtopic:   GOVERNMENT AND PEOPLE

William Lyon Mackenzie King (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

I would say to my hon. friend that I have been keeping an eye on that young lady for the past fifteen years. This morning I sent a cable to Miss Barbara Ann Scott in which I said that all Canada was delighted at her having won the Olympic championship, that from one end of the country to the other it was felt that she had done honour not only to herself but to her country, and that the government joined with the people in extending to her the warmest congratulations.

Topic:   BARBARA ANN SCOTT
Subtopic:   WINNING OF OLYMPIC WOMEN'S FIGURE SKATING
Sub-subtopic:   GOVERNMENT AND PEOPLE

HONG KONG

WAR OFFICE REPORT-REQUEST FOR TABLING OF DREW CORRESPONDENCE

On the orders of the day:

John Bracken (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. JOHN BRACKEN (Leader of the Opposition):

I wish to direct a question to the Prime Minister that has to do with one which I asked a few days ago but which at that time he did not feel in position to answer. Some days ago I asked the Prime Minister if in view of the war office release regarding the Hong Kong incident he would table the Drew correspondence with respect to it. He later intimated that he would take up the matter with the United Kingdom government. My question is: Has the Prime Minister any reply and, if so, will he now table the correspondence?

Topic:   HONG KONG
Subtopic:   WAR OFFICE REPORT-REQUEST FOR TABLING OF DREW CORRESPONDENCE

William Lyon Mackenzie King (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

I did take up the matter immediately with the United Kingdom

government at the time my hon. friend spoke about it in the house, but I have not as yet received a reply.

Topic:   HONG KONG
Subtopic:   WAR OFFICE REPORT-REQUEST FOR TABLING OF DREW CORRESPONDENCE

William Earl Rowe

Mr. ROWE:

I should like to ask the Prime Minister another question. Why should we now, two years after the war, have to listen to "his master's voice" in Great Britain to tell us what to do here in Canada?

Topic:   HONG KONG
Subtopic:   WAR OFFICE REPORT-REQUEST FOR TABLING OF DREW CORRESPONDENCE

William Lyon Mackenzie King (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Mr. MACKENZIE KING:

May I say to my hon. friend that it is not a question of the master's voice at all; it is a question of what is the proper thing to do about correspondence between governments which are mutually concerned. It would be a great breach of what is right and proper to say nothing of courtesy, not to have communicated with the British government in regard to the tabling of correspondence which they might have some objection to having tabled.

Topic:   HONG KONG
Subtopic:   WAR OFFICE REPORT-REQUEST FOR TABLING OF DREW CORRESPONDENCE

William Earl Rowe

Mr. ROWE:

I should like to ask another question. Did the British government ask this government if General Maltby could make the statement which was published over there?

Topic:   HONG KONG
Subtopic:   WAR OFFICE REPORT-REQUEST FOR TABLING OF DREW CORRESPONDENCE

William Lyon Mackenzie King (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Mr. MACKENZIE KING:

The British government had no communication with us with regard to General Maltby's report. I do not regard General Maltby's report as covering the request of my own friend the hon. leader of the opposition. The British government almost invariably asks us in advance in regard1 to correspondence in which both our governments are concerned if there is any objection to tabling it before they take action.

Topic:   HONG KONG
Subtopic:   WAR OFFICE REPORT-REQUEST FOR TABLING OF DREW CORRESPONDENCE

VETERANS AFFAIRS

REQUEST FOR INVESTIGATION OF BRAEFOOT HOUSING PROJECT

On the orders of the day:

George Randolph Pearkes

Mr. G. R. PEARKES (Nanaimo):

Mr. Speaker, may I direct a question to the Minister of Veterans Affairs? Could 'he let me have an answer to the question I asked on January 27 regarding the appointment of a committee to investigate the Braefoot project?

Hon. MILTON F. GREGG (Minister of Veterans Affairs): I am at present looking into that.

938