June 12, 1947

REPORTS AND PAPERS

Copy of order in council P.C. 2180, relating to the movement of displaced persons from Europe to Canada. Mr. Howe.

PRIVILEGE

MR. MATHEW-STATEMENT AS TO TABLING OP REPORT UNDER MUNICIPAL IMPROVE. MENTS ACT

Robert Wellington Mayhew (Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Finance)

Mr. R. W. MAYHEW (Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Finance):

Yesterday afternoon during the discussion of Bill No. 256 the hon. member for Eglinton (Mr. Fleming) made the statement that the annual return under the Municipal Improvements Assistance Act had not been tabled. His words are as follows, at page 4020 of Hansard.

The requirements of that section have apparently been honoured more in the breach than in the observance. It is like a great many similar sections that we encounter in statutes passed by this parliament requiring annual reports-they are simply ignored by the government. It is high time the government made a serious attempt to heed and -obey the -terms of this and other statutes providing for annual reports to parliament on operations under acts.

I replied, at page 4024:

The hon. member also said that the annual report had not been tabled. The act provides that the report shall be tabled, and I think my recollection goes back to the time this year when I tabled that report. This is a copy of what I tabled at that time

I referred to the document I was holding in my hand, from which I was reading. The hon. member for Eglinton then said:

I have done just what the parliamentary assistant proposes, and I think if -he will look back in the records of the house he will not find any report tabled.

I want to refer the hon. gentleman to Votes and Proceedings No. 34 of March 18 this year. On that day I tabled order in council P C. 845, and also the ninth annual report of the operations of the Municipal Improvements Assistance Act, 1938, for the year ending December 31, 1946.

Questions

Topic:   PRIVILEGE
Subtopic:   MR. MATHEW-STATEMENT AS TO TABLING OP REPORT UNDER MUNICIPAL IMPROVE. MENTS ACT

MR. MCLTJRE-NAMING OF PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND CAR FERRY

On the orders of the day: Mr. W. CHESTER S. MeLURE (Queens): Having lingered somewhat too long at the banquet board yesterday noon, I was late for the opening of the house at 3.30 in the afternoon. At page 4015 of Hansard I find a suggestion in regard to the naming of the Prince Edward Island ear ferry. I am greatly indebted to the hon. member for St. John-Albert (Mr. Hazen) for his very kind remarks concerning myself, and also his suggestion. My point of privilege, however, is that it is not my desire to have the Minister of Transport or his government devote too much time to the consideration of the kindly suggestion of the hon. member for St. John-Albert, until I have given the matter some further consideration myself.

QUESTIONS

(Questions answered orally are indicated by an asterisk).

WAR ASSETS-PURCHASES BY COLONEL J. P. J. GODREAU

Mr. CASE:

1. Have goods been purchased from war assets corporation by Colonel J. P. J. Godreau or any company he may represent or be associated with? If so, what'goods?

2. When were they purchased and what price was received at time of purchase?

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   WAR ASSETS-PURCHASES BY COLONEL J. P. J. GODREAU

George James McIlraith (Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Reconstruction and Supply)

Mr. McILRAITH:

In reference to part 1 of this question may I say that it is impossible for the corporation to get the information to answer it in this form, because there is no means of identifying the companies with which Colonel Godreau may be associated. We have also been unable to find any means of locating Colonel Godreau; we have no clue as to where he resides or what part of the country he may be in. The only way we could identify any transactions with him would be to search all the invoices. I have discussed the form of the question with the hon. member for Grey North (Mr. Case) and would suggest that it be dropped in its present form and reworded in such a way as to give him the information he desires.

Question dropped.

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   WAR ASSETS-PURCHASES BY COLONEL J. P. J. GODREAU

CENTRAL MORTGAGE -AND HOUSING CORPORATION- AUDITORS

Mr. FLEMING:

1. Who are the auditors of Central Mortgage and Housing Corporation?

2. WThen were they appointed, and on what basis as to fees or other remuneration?

3. What amounts have been paid to them to date for their services, and what services or periods do such payments cover?

4. (a) What reports have they submitted as auditors, and on what dates; (b) what subjects or periods did such reports cover?

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   CENTRAL MORTGAGE -AND HOUSING CORPORATION- AUDITORS

Mr. McILRAITH: (Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Reconstruction and Supply)

1. Mr. W. H. Campbell of Campbell, Glen-dinning and Company, chartered accountants of the city of Montreal and Mr. Jean Valli-quette of Anderson and Valliquette, chartered accountants of the city of Montreal.

2. Appointed by order in council P.C. 262, dated January 24, 1946 in accordance with section 32 of Central Mortgage and Housing Corporation Act, for a term of two years from March 1, 1946. The minister approved a salary of $4,000 each plus expenses, for the fiscal year 1946.

3. $9,762.17 fees and expenses, for audit for the fiscal year ending December 31, 1946.

4. (a) and (b).

On February 12, 1947 a report to the Minister of Reconstruction and Supply containing a statement of the corporation's position with the department as at December 31, 1946 which confirms balances collected on behalf of the minister and balances owing the corporation by the minister.

On February 20, 1947, the financial statements consisting of balance sheet, statement of profit and loss with appended certificate, for the year ending December 31, 1946.

federal GRANTS TO MUNICIPALITIES

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   CENTRAL MORTGAGE -AND HOUSING CORPORATION- AUDITORS

Mr. CHURCH:

1. On what municipal projects was the grant made by parliament from 1938 to date, annually, to the city of Ottawa as a subvention in exchange for services rendered by the city to the government?

2. What sum of money was spent in each year, and the various uses made of this grant for municipal purposes?

3. What action has been taken to extend the principle in the legislation to other municipalities throughout Canada rendering to the government similar services?

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   CENTRAL MORTGAGE -AND HOUSING CORPORATION- AUDITORS

Alphonse Fournier (Minister of Public Works)

Mr. FOURNIER (Hull):

I think I should give oral answers to these three questions. The grants to the city of Ottawa are made under a special statute of this parliament, and the statute does not provide any obligation on the part of the city to show how the money is spent. That would be the reply to Nos. 1 and 2. If and when the government takes action or does anything to extend this principle to other municipalities the house will be informed in due course.

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   CENTRAL MORTGAGE -AND HOUSING CORPORATION- AUDITORS

Thomas Langton Church

Mr. CHURCH:

Even if it is statutory

are not the people entitled to know how public funds are expended?

Inquiries of the Ministry

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   CENTRAL MORTGAGE -AND HOUSING CORPORATION- AUDITORS

Alphonse Fournier (Minister of Public Works)

Mr. FOURNIER (Hull):

Under that

statute there is no obligation upon the city of Ottawa to report to the government or to parliament as to the way the money is expended.

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   CENTRAL MORTGAGE -AND HOUSING CORPORATION- AUDITORS

James Horace King (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER: