April 15, 1947

NEW MEMBER

James Horace King (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

I have the honour to inform the house that the Clerk of the House has received from the chief electoral officer certificate of the election and return of the following member:

Of Maurice Hartt, Esquire, for the electoral district of Cartier.

(Translation):

Topic:   NEW MEMBER

NEW MEMBER INTRODUCED

Maurice Hartt, Esquire, member for the electoral district of Cartier, introduced by Right Hon. L. S. St. Laurent and Hon. Ernest Bertrand. (Text):

COMMITTEES OF THE HOUSE

DOMINION ELECTIONS ACT-RAILWAYS AND SHIPPING CHANGES IN PERSONNEL

Right Hon. IAN A. MACKENZIE (Minister of Veterans Affairs) moved: That the name of Mr. Richard (Ottawa East) be substituted for that of Mr. Ross (Hamilton East) on the special committee on the Dominion Elections Act. . That the name of Mr. Lapointe be substituted for that of Mr. Picard on the sessional committee on railways and shipping. Motions agreed to.

INQUIRY AS TO REPORTED SHORTAGE

On the orders of the day:

John Bracken (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. JOHN BRACKEN (Leader of the Opposition):

I wish to direct a question to the Minister of Finance. It is based on a telegram which I received this morning, to the effect that there is such a serious shortage of soap in parts of Canada that it is likely to make necessary the closing of commercial and hospital laundries, particularly in the prairie provinces. Has the government been advised of this situation, and if so, will the minister inform the house what action, if any, has been taken to meet it? *

Topic:   INQUIRY AS TO REPORTED SHORTAGE

Douglas Charles Abbott (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Hon. DOUGLAS ABBOTT (Minister of Finance) :

I received a similar telegram, as I think every other hon. member of the house has. I believe the telegrams must have been prompted by some fear of a curtailment in the supply of soap. As the house knows, oils and fats are in very short supply. I mentioned this yesterday. The administrator of oils and fats has issued a directive requiring soap manufacturers to maintain their present quotas of soap to industrial users, which would include laundries and hospitals. So in the event of a shortage of soap it will not interfere with those institutions, though it may affect the ability of members of the house to have their usual morning bath.

Topic:   INQUIRY AS TO REPORTED SHORTAGE

REPORT AS TO QUOTA ON SLAUGHTERING FOR DOMESTIC DISTRIBUTION

On the orders of the day: Mr. J. G. DIEFENBAIvER (Lake Centre): I should like to direct a question to the Minister of Agriculture arising out of a wire which I do not think has been widely distributed.

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Louder.

Topic:   REPORT AS TO QUOTA ON SLAUGHTERING FOR DOMESTIC DISTRIBUTION

James Horace King (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

Order.

Topic:   REPORT AS TO QUOTA ON SLAUGHTERING FOR DOMESTIC DISTRIBUTION

John George Diefenbaker

Mr. DIEFENBAKER:

I am afraid I cannot give hearing to my hon. friends over there. The telegram states that the placing of quotas by the government on live stock slaughtering for domestic distribution was protested at a mass meeting of wholesalers, processors and retail distributors held in Winnipeg on Sunday, and then it goes on to set out the protest. Is the minister about to introduce a quota system on cattle slaughtered for consumption in Canada, and if so, before this is done will an opportunity be given both producers and consumers to make their protests to the minister?

Topic:   REPORT AS TO QUOTA ON SLAUGHTERING FOR DOMESTIC DISTRIBUTION

James Garfield Gardiner (Minister of Agriculture)

Right Hon. J. G. GARDINER (Minister of Agriculture):

I have heard no discussion any-

Emergency Powers

where of any such policy being followed. I rather expect this has to do with controls already on, rather than any to be put on.

Topic:   REPORT AS TO QUOTA ON SLAUGHTERING FOR DOMESTIC DISTRIBUTION

John George Diefenbaker

Mr. DIEFENBAKER:

No; it has to do with another control that may be put on.

Topic:   REPORT AS TO QUOTA ON SLAUGHTERING FOR DOMESTIC DISTRIBUTION

James Garfield Gardiner (Minister of Agriculture)

Mr. GARDINER:

I know nothing of any such control.

Topic:   REPORT AS TO QUOTA ON SLAUGHTERING FOR DOMESTIC DISTRIBUTION