March 5, 1947

REDISTRIBUTION

CONCURRENCE IN FIRST REPORT OF SPECIAL COMMITTEE

Hon. C. G. POWER (Quebec South) presented the first report of the special committee appointed to consider Bill No. 18, to readjust representation in the House of Commons, and moved that the report be concurred in. Motion agreed to.

TAXATION AGREEMENTS

INQUIRY AS TO COST OF CARRYING OUT OFFERS MADE TO THE PROVINCES

On the orders of the day:

James MacKerras Macdonnell

Mr. J. M. MACDONNELL (Muskoka-Omtario):

I wish to address a question to the Minister of Finance, notice of which I have given him. I should like to ask him how much the estimates would have been increased beyond two billions if they had included the

Inquiries of the Ministry

amounts necessary to carry out the various offers which we understand he has made to the provinces.

Topic:   TAXATION AGREEMENTS
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO COST OF CARRYING OUT OFFERS MADE TO THE PROVINCES

Douglas Charles Abbott (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Hon. DOUGLAS ABBOTT (Minister of Finance):

I received notice of the question just before coming into the house, and I shall have to make the necessary calculations and give the answer to my hon. friend later. The question is of course one that should be put on the order paper.

Topic:   TAXATION AGREEMENTS
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO COST OF CARRYING OUT OFFERS MADE TO THE PROVINCES

Gordon Graydon

Mr. GRAYDON:

Thanks for the advice. Mr. ABBOTT: Then take it.

Topic:   TAXATION AGREEMENTS
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO COST OF CARRYING OUT OFFERS MADE TO THE PROVINCES

VETERANS AFFAIRS

SUNNYBROOK. HOSPITAL-AVAILABILITY OF ACCOMMODATION FOR PATIENTS On the orders of the day: Mr. DONALD M. FLEMING (Eglinton): I should like to address a question to the Minister of Veterans Affairs. Why are many beds allowed to remain empty at Sunnybrook hospital at the present time while many military patients under Department of Veterans Affairs care are accommodated at overcrowded civilian hospitals? Right Hon. IAN A. MACKENZIE (Minister of Veterans Affairs): I received notice of the question just as I was entering the house and have ascertained since, from the director of treatment services, that there . are 200 vacant beds now in Sunnybrook hospital. The difficulty has been in obtaining the necessary staff but that has been overcome and the transfer will be made at the earliest possible time.

LABOUR CONDITIONS

POLISH VETERANS ENGAGED IN AGRICULTURE

On the orders of the day:

IND

Herbert Wilfred Herridge

Independent C.C.F.

Mr. H. W. HERRIDGE (Kootenay West):

May I ask the Minister of Labour the following questions. First, is the minister informed of a reported meeting recently held by former members of the Polish corps now employed on farms in Canada, at which demands were made for release from the terms of the agreement under which these persons entered Canada? Secondly, is it the government's intention to insist upon the terms of this agreement being kept?

Topic:   LABOUR CONDITIONS
Subtopic:   POLISH VETERANS ENGAGED IN AGRICULTURE

Humphrey Mitchell (Minister of Labour)

Hon. HUMPHREY MITCHELL (Minister of Labour):

I have knowledge of a meeting having been held by the persons referred to by my hon. friend. As to what they discussed, I know nothing. I did arrange for an officer of the employment service of the Department of Labour to attend that meeting. Owing to weather conditions, however, the report has

not yet reached me. As to the second question, my hon. friend is well aware that any announcement of government policy will be made at the proper time.

Topic:   LABOUR CONDITIONS
Subtopic:   POLISH VETERANS ENGAGED IN AGRICULTURE

PRIVILEGE

MR. CRUICKSHANK-OTTAWA "JOURNAL" REPORT OF PROCEEDINGS OF MARCH 3

On the orders of the day:

George Alexander Cruickshank

Mr. G. A. CRUICKSHANK (Fraser Valley) :

I rise to a question of privilege. The Ottawa Journal took care to criticize me for suggesting that the press gallery could not hear in this house, and I wish to refer to an article appearing in that newspaper on Wednesday, March 5. It is headed:

"We were left out," not "kicked out," St. Laurent said.

As a veteran member of this house I desire to make it perfectly clear that if there had been amplifiers in this house the press gallery would have heard that the statement was, "We were left out." The Canadian army has never been and never will be kicked out of any place in the world.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE