February 11, 1947

EXTERNAL AFFAIRS

PROVISION FOR DISCUSSION On the orders of the day:

Gordon Graydon

Mr. GORDON GRAYDON (Peel):

I

should like to direct a question either to the Prime Minister or to the Secretary of State for External Affairs-I think it affects both. During the last session of parliament the standing committee on external affairs, with the later concurrence of the house, agreed that arrangements should be made for the discussion from time to time of international affairs. Will the government give consideration to meeting the wishes of the committee and of parliament as expressed last session, so that there will be an opportunity to discuss international matters on the floor of the house, not after the event but while the issues are still fresh in the minds of the public, thereby giving the people the opportunity of expressing their views on the various questions?

Topic:   ORDER IN WHICH MEASURES TO BE CONSIDERED
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS

William Lyon Mackenzie King (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

May I say to my hon. friend that the house is very fortunate in having a Secretary of State for External Affairs who is in a position to give his whole time to the work of that department. I know my colleague is most anxious that the house shall have as large an opportunity as possible to discuss external affairs, and he will, I believe, bring on the consideration of external affairs at an early day in the session. But that does not necessarily mean that at a particular time in any particular week or month. I doubt whether that would be advisable. However, I am always glad to consider any suggestion my hon. friend makes and will take that one into consideration.

Topic:   ORDER IN WHICH MEASURES TO BE CONSIDERED
Subtopic:   EXTERNAL AFFAIRS

LABOUR CONDITIONS

SETTLEMENT OF NORANDA STRIKE

On the orders of the day:

David Gourd

Mr. DAVID GOURD (Chapleau) (Translation) :

Mr. Speaker, may I ask the following questions of the hon. Minister of Labour (Mr. Mitchell): First, what is the official

date on which the Noranda strike was settled? Second, on what basis was it settled?

Topic:   LABOUR CONDITIONS
Subtopic:   SETTLEMENT OF NORANDA STRIKE

Humphrey Mitchell (Minister of Labour)

Hon. HUMPHREY MITCHELL (Minister of Labour) (Text):

The hon. member for Chapleau gave me notice of this question. Some hon. MEMBERS: Oh, oh.

Topic:   LABOUR CONDITIONS
Subtopic:   SETTLEMENT OF NORANDA STRIKE

Humphrey Mitchell (Minister of Labour)

Mr. MITCHELL:

I should tell my hon. friends that my grandfather was French.

Inquiries oj the Ministry

Topic:   LABOUR CONDITIONS
Subtopic:   SETTLEMENT OF NORANDA STRIKE

Karl Kenneth Homuth

Mr. HOMUTH:

Answer in the same way.

Topic:   LABOUR CONDITIONS
Subtopic:   SETTLEMENT OF NORANDA STRIKE

Humphrey Mitchell (Minister of Labour)

Mr. MITCHELL:

If I did that, my hon. friend would not understand me.

Topic:   LABOUR CONDITIONS
Subtopic:   SETTLEMENT OF NORANDA STRIKE

Karl Kenneth Homuth

Mr. HOMUTH:

No one in the house can speak as many languages' as the Minister of Labour.

Topic:   LABOUR CONDITIONS
Subtopic:   SETTLEMENT OF NORANDA STRIKE

Humphrey Mitchell (Minister of Labour)

Mr. MITCHELL:

The hon. member for Chapleau was good enough to give me notice of his question. I wish to thank him for his interest and help in- this dispute. As the house no doubt is aware, the strike at Norand-a Mines Limited was settled late on Sunday night, following negotiations conducted by the Hon. Mr. Justice 0. L. Boulanger who was appointed as industrial disputes inquiry commissioner in this case. The negotiations reached a crucial stage on- Sunday. A formula for settlement of the strike was considered by the men's committee and subsequently referred to mass meetings of- the membership held later in the day. The points still in dispute were the amount of the wage increase-an alternative to the demand for a check-off which the union had was dropped

and the terms under which the men- would be taken- back to work. After clarification of the latter question the proposals put forward were accepted by the members at their meetings and a memorandum of settlement was signed late on Sunday night by the company and the union.

The terms of settlement provide for a wage increase of 13 cents an hour, 10 cents retroactive to May 16, 1946, and the remainder effective November 1, 1946. Provision has been made for the collection of union dues on premises adjacent to the mine two afternoons a month. It was agreed that the men would be returned to work without discrimination in so far as legitimate un-ion activity during the strike was concerned, and that every effort would -be made -by the company to have- all employees back in the mine within fourteen days of the strike settlement.

I should like at this time- to -pay high tribute to the patience, good humour and effectiveness of- the commissioner, Mr. Justice Boulanger. The dispute was a difficult one to conciliate but with perseverance, good sense and a capacity for mediation on the part of the commissioner and a willingness to compromise by the parties to the dispute the strike was resolved.

Topic:   LABOUR CONDITIONS
Subtopic:   SETTLEMENT OF NORANDA STRIKE

THE KING'S BIRTHDAY

INQUIRY AS TO DATE OF CELEBRATION IN CANADA

On the orders of the day:

Norman James Macdonald Lockhart

Mr. N. J. M. LOCKHART (Lincoln):

May I inquire of the Prime Minister or the Secretary of State for External Affairs whether

there has been any announcement as to the date on which His Majesty's birthday is to be celebrated? I -have received a communication and I want to plan something special. Perhaps t-he appropriate minister will reply.

Topic:   THE KING'S BIRTHDAY
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO DATE OF CELEBRATION IN CANADA

William Lyon Mackenzie King (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

Is the hon. member referring to the celebration in Canada?

Topic:   THE KING'S BIRTHDAY
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO DATE OF CELEBRATION IN CANADA

Norman James Macdonald Lockhart

Mr. LOCKHART:

The celebration in Canada of His Majesty's birthday.

Topic:   THE KING'S BIRTHDAY