4. How long has Inspector John Leopold been a member of the R.C.M.P.?
2. Was he at one time known as Jack Essel-wein, and (a) was he instructed, as part of his duties, to join an organization or party; (b) if so, what party or organization; (c) during what period or periods of time was he so occupied; (d) was he on the payroll of the R.C.M.P. during such periods?
3. Did his duties during that period include the investigation of organizations other than the communist party of Canada and, if so, what organizations, and on whose instructions were such investigations carried on?
4. Did his duties involve travel and investigations outside Canada?
5. Do his present duties include any portion of those assigned to him during the period he was a member of the communist party of Canada?
Mr. ST. LAURENT:
1. Since September 26, 1918.
2. Yes; (a) Yes; (b) Communist party and subsidiary organizations; (c) 1921 to 1928; (d) Yes.
3. Communist party and subsidiary bodies only.