July 25, 1946

CCF

Thomas John Bentley

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. BENTLEY:

Mr. Speaker, if it is in order for me to ask a question at this stage, I would point out that the veterans affairs committee also recommended that provision be made for out-of-work benefits for those who are waiting to take vocational training where the facilities are not yet available, and that is not included in the resolution.

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   VETERANS REHABILITATION
Sub-subtopic:   LOANS TO UNIVERSITIES, TRAINING OUTSIDE OF CANADA, ETC.

Ian Alistair Mackenzie (Minister of Veterans Affairs; Leader of the Government in the House of Commons; Liberal Party House Leader)

Mr. MACKENZIE:

I will take my hon. friend's question into consideration.

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   VETERANS REHABILITATION
Sub-subtopic:   LOANS TO UNIVERSITIES, TRAINING OUTSIDE OF CANADA, ETC.

Motion agreed to. .

PRIVILEGE

MR. CHURCH-REFERENCE TO ARTICLE IN TORONTO "GLOBE AND MAIL"

Thomas Langton Church

Mr. T. L. CHURCH (Broadview):

Mr. Speaker, on a question of privilege I call attention to a report in this Morning's Globe and Mail in which I am quoted as using words I never used. The report in the Globe and Mail says that I said that-

-the housing shortage was caused by taxation because those in building industry did not consider it worth while to work overtime.

I never used those words. The report goes oni:

He also expressed criticism of the proposal to defer tax relief until next year. The government should legislate for 1946 not 1947.

I said that. Then, adds that I said:

Everyone was complaining about the budget.

I never said that.

Field Marshall Montgomery

Topic:   PRIVILEGE
Subtopic:   MR. CHURCH-REFERENCE TO ARTICLE IN TORONTO "GLOBE AND MAIL"

FIELD MARSHAL MONTGOMERY

ARRANGEMENTS FOR VISIT TO CANADA

On the orders of the day:

Gordon Graydon

Mr. GORDON GRAYDON (Peel):

Mr. Speaker, I should like to direct a question to the acting Minister of External Affairs, perhaps in his capacity as leader of the government. I would ask him to acquaint the house with the progress being made in the plans of the government for the forthcoming visit of Field Marshal Viscount Montgomery. I understand that he is arriving in Canada during the coming month, and I am sure that the house and the country would be glad to know what plans the government has in mind for his welcome and for his itinerary.

Right Hon. L. S. ST. LAURENT (Acting Prime Minister): Mr. Speaker, I thank the hon. member for letting me know yesterday that he was going to ask this question so that I could get the information and be in a position to make some reply to-day. The information that has been supplied to me is this.

Speaking here shortly before his departure for London last May, the Prime Minister announced that Field Marshal Viscount Montgomery would be visiting Canada some time during the latter part of August or early in September. Owing to the present irregularity of trans-Atlantic sailings, the actual date of the field marshal's arrival had not become definite until within the last day or two. It is now fairly certain, however, that he will arrive in Halifax by boat on August 24.

Field Marshal Montgomery is coming as a guest of the Canadian government, and arrangements for his tour have been made by an inter-departmental committee working in conjunction with provincial and civic authorities through the military authorities in the various military districts. As Field Marshal Montgomery has undertaken to arrive in Washington on September 10, his tour in Canada will be comparatively brief. In order to permit him to visit all the provinces during the short time he will be here, the field marshal will travel almost entirely by air.

A schedule covering the dates of Field Marshal Montgomery's visits to the various provinces will be issued as soon as arrangements are complete.

Topic:   FIELD MARSHAL MONTGOMERY
Subtopic:   ARRANGEMENTS FOR VISIT TO CANADA

SUNNYBROOIC HOSPITAL

INQUIRY AS TO COMPLETION OF BUILDING

On the orders of the day:

Thomas Langton Church

Mr. T. L. CHURCH (Broadview):

This is the eighty-eighth day of the session and so

far we have had no information regarding the completion of Sunnybrook hospital. Would the minister foe good enough to make a short statement as to when the men will be moved in. It is reported that 150 will be moved in on September 15.

Topic:   SUNNYBROOIC HOSPITAL
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO COMPLETION OF BUILDING

Alphonse Fournier (Minister of Public Works)

Hon. ALPHONSE FOURNIER (Minister of Public Works):

I will take the hon. gentleman's question as notice. I may remind him, however, that I have been sending him progress reports regularly on the work that is being done at Sunnybrook.

Topic:   SUNNYBROOIC HOSPITAL
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO COMPLETION OF BUILDING

Thomas Langton Church

Mr. CHURCH:

May I ask whether the reports in the newspapers are correct-

Topic:   SUNNYBROOIC HOSPITAL
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO COMPLETION OF BUILDING

James Horace King (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

Order.

Topic:   SUNNYBROOIC HOSPITAL
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO COMPLETION OF BUILDING

FROST DAMAGE TO WESTERN CROP

On the orders of the day:

John Bracken (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. JOHN BRACKEN (Leader of the Opposition):

I should like to direct to the Minister of Trade and Commerce a question with reference to the report, a couple of days ago, of damage to the western grain crop through frost. I have given him no intimation of the question and he may not have a full answer at hand. The question is whether his department has made any estimate of the damage to the western crop as a result of that frost and whether that damage is likely to have any serious effect on the output of grain in the western provinces this .year. If the minister does not feel in a position to answer the question to-day perhaps he will take it into consideration and give a reply at an early opportunity.

Topic:   FROST DAMAGE TO WESTERN CROP