May 21, 1946

Douglas Charles Abbott (Minister of National Defence; Minister of National Defence for Naval Services)

Hon. DOUGLAS ABBOTT (Minister of National Defence):

Mr. Speaker, I do not know whether I have seen all the press reports to which my hon. friend refers, but there will be an opportunity for me to give him any information he requires when my estimates are under consideration.

Topic:   STANDARDIZATION OF EQUIPMENT

Charles Cecil Ingersoll Merritt

Mr. MERRITT:

If I may ask a supplementary question, when is it proposed to move the resolution on the order paper with regard to the Canadian Army?

Hon. IAN A. MACKENZIE (Minister of Veterans Affairs): That depends upon the arrangement of government business.

Topic:   STANDARDIZATION OF EQUIPMENT

VETERANS AFFAIRS

PRIORITIES IN PURCHASE OF FARM MACHINERY

On the orders of the day: Mr. W. CHESTER S. McLURE (Queens): Mr. Speaker, I should like to direct a question to the Minister of Veterans Affairs. Are veterans who own or purchase their own farms entitled to priority in purchasing farm machinery, and do they receive the ten per cent special discount? Hon. IAN A. MACKENZIE (Minister of Veterans Affairs): I was given no notice of the question, and I have pleasure in taking it as a notice.

Winfield Chester Scott McLure

Mr. McLURE:

Mr. Speaker, I have another question. This is just a simple one.

Topic:   VETERANS AFFAIRS
Subtopic:   PRIORITIES IN PURCHASE OF FARM MACHINERY

Ian Alistair Mackenzie (Minister of Veterans Affairs; Leader of the Government in the House of Commons; Liberal Party House Leader)

Mr. MACKENZIE:

A refreshing change.

Topic:   VETERANS AFFAIRS
Subtopic:   PRIORITIES IN PURCHASE OF FARM MACHINERY

James Horace King (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

I would ask hon. members to look at the rules of the house, by which they will see that they have every opportunity within the rules to get all the information they desire. If they want a question to be answered orally, it is a simple matter to have

it marked with an asterisk on the order paper. But until the rules of the house are changed the Speaker has no choice but to ask hon. members to refrain from asking questions on the orders of the day that are not urgent; and further, no statement should be made in putting a question on the orders of the day. It is the duty of the Speaker to see that the rules of the house are observed.

Topic:   VETERANS AFFAIRS
Subtopic:   PRIORITIES IN PURCHASE OF FARM MACHINERY

Winfield Chester Scott McLure

Mr. McLURE:

Mr. Speaker, I wish-

Mr. SPEAKER: Order. I am sorry to

interrupt the hon. gentleman, but it is not the practice to question a ruling or the advice of the Speaker. It is the well-established practice of the house that questions which are not urgent should be put on the order paper instead of being asked on the orders of the day.

Mr. McLURE: Mr. Speaker, I have

received a telegram-

Mr. SPEAKER: I have asked the hon.

member to put his question on the order paper.

Topic:   VETERANS AFFAIRS
Subtopic:   PRIORITIES IN PURCHASE OF FARM MACHINERY

JOINT DEFENCE BOARD

On the orders of the day:

Lawrence Wilton Skey

Mr. L. W. SKEY (Trinity):

Mr. Speaker, may I direct a question to the Minister of National Defence? Will he tell the house

whether the joint defence proposals now under discussion by Canada and the United States include-

Topic:   JOINT DEFENCE BOARD

James Horace King (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

Order. I would ask the hon. member to put his question on the order paper.

Topic:   JOINT DEFENCE BOARD

Lawrence Wilton Skey

Mr. SKEY:

May I put my question, Mr. Speaker, before you rule on its urgency? The reason I ask for this indulgence- '

Topic:   JOINT DEFENCE BOARD

An hon. MEMBER:

Put the question.

Topic:   JOINT DEFENCE BOARD

Lawrence Wilton Skey

Mr. SKEY:

Will the Minister of National Defence tell the house whether the joint defence proposals now under discussion-

Topic:   JOINT DEFENCE BOARD

James Horace King (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

Order. I am sorry to interrupt the hon. gentleman but I see no urgency in the question. It must be put on the order paper.

Topic:   JOINT DEFENCE BOARD

Lawrence Wilton Skey

Mr. SKEY:

I would respectfully submit, Mr. Speaker, that the defence proposals under discussion at the present time are urgent.

Topic:   JOINT DEFENCE BOARD

James Horace King (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

Order. Hon. members who insist in asking on the orders of the day questions which are not urgent are not helping the Speaker to uphold the dignity and decorum of the house. The hon. member knows the rules, or should know them, and I

Price Ceiling-Farm Products

would ask for the cooperation of all hon. members in upholding the dignity and decorum of our proceedings.'

Topic:   JOINT DEFENCE BOARD