April 16, 1946

On the orders of the day:

Gordon Graydon

Mr. GORDON GRAYDON (Peel):

I

should like to direct a question to the Prime Minister. In view of the fact that the house rises to-morrow for a lengthy Easter recess, will the Prime Minister be good enough to give the members such information as he has with respect to the probable date of the peace conference in Paris, and when he plans to meet the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom for a conference on commonwealth affairs?

Topic:   PEACE CONFERENCE
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO PROBABLE DATE-CONFERENCE ON COMMONWEALTH AFFAIRS

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

I wish I were able to inform my hon. friend as to the date of the Paris conference. As hon. members know, it was hoped that the conference might open on May 1; but I think I am correct in saying it is hardly probable that it will open for some weeks after that -date.

Timber Production

As the house is aware, I have accepted the invitation of the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom to meet in conference with him and others on matters of mutual interest.

I hope that that meeting may be arranged so that the time of it will be approximate to that of the meeting of the Paris conference, possibly a week or two before the conference opens in Paris, but up to the present I have not received exact information.

Topic:   PEACE CONFERENCE
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO PROBABLE DATE-CONFERENCE ON COMMONWEALTH AFFAIRS

BRITISH COLUMBIA PRODUCTION-PRAIRIE REQUIREMENTS

On the orders of the day:

CCF

John Oliver Probe

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. J. O. PROBE (Regina City):

I wish to direct a question to the Minister of Reconstruction or his appropriate colleague. I sent a notice of this question to the minister. Will the Minister of Reconstruction please inform the house whether the 35 per cent of the British Columbia timber production being retained in Canada is being offered by the coast mills locally only, thereby denying the prairie trade a fair share of the British Columbia timber output? What provision has been made by the department-

Topic:   BRITISH COLUMBIA PRODUCTION-PRAIRIE REQUIREMENTS

James Horace King (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

Order. This is what may be called a lengthy question andi it should be put on the order paper.

Topic:   BRITISH COLUMBIA PRODUCTION-PRAIRIE REQUIREMENTS
CCF

John Oliver Probe

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. PROBE:

I did not understand your ruling, sir.

Topic:   BRITISH COLUMBIA PRODUCTION-PRAIRIE REQUIREMENTS

James Horace King (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

I said this question is a lengthy one and1 should be put on the order paper.

Topic:   BRITISH COLUMBIA PRODUCTION-PRAIRIE REQUIREMENTS
CCF

John Oliver Probe

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. PROBE:

Mr. Speaker, I must suggest that this is an urgent question. The reply need not be longer than any other.

Topic:   BRITISH COLUMBIA PRODUCTION-PRAIRIE REQUIREMENTS

James Horace King (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

I have asked the hon.

member to put his question on the order paper.

Topic:   BRITISH COLUMBIA PRODUCTION-PRAIRIE REQUIREMENTS

IGOR GOUZENKO

REFERENCE TO PRESS REPORT AS TO STATEMENT FROM RUSSIAN EMBASSY

On the orders of the day:

CCF

William Irvine

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. WILLIAM IRVINE (Cariboo):

I should like to direct a question to the Prime Minister in his capacity as Secretary of State for External Affairs. In view of the statement appearing in the press, alleged to have come from the Russian embassy, that Mr. Igor Gouzenko had stolen money from the Russian embassy, I should1 like to ask if the Secretary of State for External Affairs received any communication with regard thereto prior to the establishment of the royal commission?

Topic:   IGOR GOUZENKO
Subtopic:   REFERENCE TO PRESS REPORT AS TO STATEMENT FROM RUSSIAN EMBASSY

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Secretary of State for External Affairs):

I assume the statement in the press to which my hon. friend refers is that which was issued by the Russian embassy some days ago. I may say to my hon. friend that a similar statement was received in the Department for External Affairs a day or two after Mr. Gouzenko had left the embassy.

Topic:   IGOR GOUZENKO
Subtopic:   REFERENCE TO PRESS REPORT AS TO STATEMENT FROM RUSSIAN EMBASSY

NATIONAL HOUSING ACT

PART 3-FARMERS AND RESIDENTS OF TOWNS AND VILLAGES

On the orders of the day:

CCF

Alexander Malcolm Nicholson

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. A. M. NICHOLSON (Mackenzie):

I should like to address a question to the Minister of Finance, notice of which I sent him the other day. Will he please indicate to the house the arrangements which have been made to enable farmers and1 residents of towns and villages to take advantage of part 3 of the National Housing Act?

Topic:   NATIONAL HOUSING ACT