December 10, 1945

Percy Chapman Black

Mr. BLACK (Cumberland):

I should like the permission of the house to read part of this sentence. It reads :

-which we have referred to the Solicitor General at Ottawa-*

Topic:   EXPLOSION AT BEDFORD BASIN NAVAL MAGAZINE

James Horace King (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

A motion for the production of papers not being debatable, no point of order can be raised in connection therewith. If the motion is opposed, I must put the question.

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Order.

Percy Chapman Black

Mr. BLACK (Cumberland):

-and have received his opinion that the order in council did not permit payment of claims in such eases.

Topic:   EXPLOSION AT BEDFORD BASIN NAVAL MAGAZINE

James Horace King (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

Order. If it is the wish of the h-ouse that the motion be carried subject to the remarks made by the parliamentary assistant, I would note the motion as being carried subject to the remarks that have been made.

Percy Chapman Black

Mr. BLACK (Cumberland):

That is

satisfactory.

Topic:   EXPLOSION AT BEDFORD BASIN NAVAL MAGAZINE

James Lorimer Ilsley (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. ILSLEY:

I do not know how a motion can be carried with qualifications which contradict the motion. There is no legal opinion from the Department of Justice of which I have any knowledge whatever. I am willing to discuss it with-

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Order.

Topic:   EXPLOSION AT BEDFORD BASIN NAVAL MAGAZINE

James Lorimer Ilsley (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. ILSLEY:

I think the motion should be dropped and reframed.

Topic:   EXPLOSION AT BEDFORD BASIN NAVAL MAGAZINE

James Horace King (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

I did not hear what the minister said.

Topic:   EXPLOSION AT BEDFORD BASIN NAVAL MAGAZINE

James Lorimer Ilsley (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. ILSLEY:

I think this motion should be dropped and reframed because the qualifications are so contradictory to the motion that it leaves a result that does not mean anything. To begin with, there are no legal opinions from the Department of Justice. The motion calls for the production of a statement showing all claims submitted, and the hon. gentleman does not propose to press this so long as he gets the totals. Surely the way to do this is to drop the motion and then reframe a motion with which we can comply.

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Order.

Percy Chapman Black

Mr. BLACK (Cumberland):

On a point of order, sir, you gave a ruling that this was carried subject to amendment, and I want the house to acept your ruling. It was satisfactory to me, and it was satisfactory to the parliamentary assistant who has the matter in hand. I think that your decision should prevail.

Some hon. MEMBERS: