November 28, 1945

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

Mr. Speaker, on a question of privilege: I have just been presiding over a meeting of the coordinating committee of the dominion-provincial conference and have left its proceedings in order to make a statement to the house immediately in respect to a very misleading article which appears in the Ottawa morning Journal of to-day. The entire membership of the conference took strong exception to this article and desired that I should make a statement to the House of Commons . on behalf of all who are present at the conference.

The article is entitled: "Cabinet clash complicates conference. No announcements made after second session." It reads:

When the coordinating committee of the dominion-provincial conference reached the end of another session last night with no public announcements from Prime Minister King, it was confirmed by some of those leaving the chamber that two paramount issues seemed to be complicating deliberations.

They were:

1. Reports confirmed by several provincial premiers of disagreement among Prime Minister King and two of his colleagues;

2. Determination, not unexpected, of the nine provincial premiers to make not the slightest retreat from their stand on provincial rights.

A little further on in the article it says:

On the point of disagreement among the dominion ministers, it was described by the provincial men as "a clash".

May I say that all provincial premiers and all members of the dominion government who were present at the conference are united in saying that, they know nothing of a clash having taken place between myself and any of my colleagues. As a matter of fact there has been nothing of the kind. I make that statement emphatically. May I add that there has been nothing that I am aware of, and that I think any of the premiers on the coordinating committee are aware of, which has in any way complicated the proceedings that have been, 47696-163J

I am happy to say, going forward so amicably and splendidly since the opening of the conference.

I am authorized to make this statement by the entire group that are to-day discussing these dominion-provincial questions, and discussing them, I think, in an exceptionally able and amicable manner.

Until the committee of the conference concludes its proceedings no statement will be given out. When a statement is given out it is one that will be approved by the entire conference. I hope, therefore, that so far as the public of Canada are concerned they will draw their inferences with respect to the proceedings of the conference from the official statement which may be issued by the conference itself when it has concluded its proceedings.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-MR. MACKENZIE KING PROCEEDINGS OF COORDINATING COMMITTEE- DOMINION-PROVINCIAL CONFERENCE

BANKING AND COMMERCE

MOTION FOR CONCURRENCE IN FIRST REPORT

Mr. HUGHES CLEAVER (Halton) presented the first report of the standing committee on banking and commerce, and moved that the report be concurred in. Mr. JEAN-FRANCOIS POULIOT (Temis-couata): Mr. Speaker, before this report is concurred in, I have just a few words to say as a suggestion for the work of the committee. At the time the gifts were made to the United Kingdom there were bonds and other assets held in London as a guarantee, to the extent of a formidable amount-$700,000,000, I think. Some obligations, stocks and bonds, were brought back to Canada, but those that were most profitable were kept over there. Our guarantee was that the British government would not let them out except to return to Canada. There were some railway bonds, Eno's Fruit Salts, et cetera, et cetera, and many other paying propositions, but the most profitable were kept there. At a certain moment, to my great surprise'-

Ian Alistair Mackenzie (Minister of Veterans Affairs; Leader of the Government in the House of Commons; Liberal Party House Leader)

Mr. MACKENZIE:

On a point of order-

Topic:   BANKING AND COMMERCE
Subtopic:   MOTION FOR CONCURRENCE IN FIRST REPORT
IND

Jean-François Pouliot

Independent Liberal

Mr. POULIOT:

I ask the minister if he will please sit down, because I am strictly in order.

Topic:   BANKING AND COMMERCE
Subtopic:   MOTION FOR CONCURRENCE IN FIRST REPORT

Mr. MACKENZIE:

On a point of order, Mr. Speaker, this motion can be moved only with the unanimous consent of the house,

Banking and Commerce

because the report of the committee was received only a few minutes ago. If there is not unanimous consent I propose that consideration of the motion foe left to the proper time.

Topic:   BANKING AND COMMERCE
Subtopic:   MOTION FOR CONCURRENCE IN FIRST REPORT
IND

Jean-François Pouliot

Independent Liberal

Mr. POULIOT:

Sir, the minister cannot

say that, because the mover of the motion was the member for Halton. I do not see why I am interrupted. The interruption could have come after I got through. I had the floor, and the minister could rise only on. a point of order to interrupt my speech-

Topic:   BANKING AND COMMERCE
Subtopic:   MOTION FOR CONCURRENCE IN FIRST REPORT

Mr. MACKENZIE:

The question is not debatable.

Topic:   BANKING AND COMMERCE
Subtopic:   MOTION FOR CONCURRENCE IN FIRST REPORT
IND

Jean-François Pouliot

Independent Liberal

Mr. POULIOT:

-and to ask that the discussion be postponed.

Topic:   BANKING AND COMMERCE
Subtopic:   MOTION FOR CONCURRENCE IN FIRST REPORT

James Horace King (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

I understand1 that the

motion made by the member for Halton (Mr. Cleaver) is withdrawn for the time being. There is therefore nothing before the house for debate.

Topic:   BANKING AND COMMERCE
Subtopic:   MOTION FOR CONCURRENCE IN FIRST REPORT
IND

Jean-François Pouliot

Independent Liberal

Mr. POULIOT:

The hon. member did not say he withdrew his motion, and therefore I am still in order and the minister has no right to interfere while I am speaking, because I am in order except on a point of order.

Topic:   BANKING AND COMMERCE
Subtopic:   MOTION FOR CONCURRENCE IN FIRST REPORT

Mr. MACKENZIE:

I was speaking to a point of order. This motion cannot be put to the house except with unanimous consent. I understand that there are comments, and therefore the motion should foe subject to the ordinary rules of procedure.

Topic:   BANKING AND COMMERCE
Subtopic:   MOTION FOR CONCURRENCE IN FIRST REPORT
IND

Jean-François Pouliot

Independent Liberal

Mr. POULIOT:

My contention is that the matter I was stating is more important than-

Topic:   BANKING AND COMMERCE
Subtopic:   MOTION FOR CONCURRENCE IN FIRST REPORT

James Horace King (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

There is nothing before the house and I would ask the hon. member for Temiscouata to resume his seat.

Motion stands.

Topic:   BANKING AND COMMERCE
Subtopic:   MOTION FOR CONCURRENCE IN FIRST REPORT

PRIVATE BILLS

FIRST AND SECOND READINGS-SENATE BILLS

Bill No. 177, to incorporate Canada Health and Accident Assurance Corporation.-Mr. Breithaupt. Bill No. 179, for the relief of Samuel Gardner Bradford.-Mr. Whitman. Bill No. 180, for the relief of Olive May Marks Sanderson.-Mr. Boucher. Bill No. 181, for the relief of Marie Regina Elaine Arcand Dorval.-Mr. Brown. Bill No. 182, for the relief of Joan Frances Timms Couture.-Mr. Brown. Bill No. 183, for the relief of Edith Louise Boutilier Snow.-Mr. Maybank. Bill No. 184, for the relief of Cyril James Morgan.-Mr. Maybank. Bill No. 185, for the relief of Joseph Adolphe Aime Berthiaume.-Mr. Maybank. Bill No. 186, for the relief of Molly Shuster-man Peroher.-Mr. Maybank.

QUESTIONS