September 14, 1945

WAR AND DEMOBILIZATION BILL

REQUEST FOR TABLING OF PUBLIC ACCOUNTS AND AUDITOR GENERAL'S REPORT

On the orders of the day:

John Bracken (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. JOHN BRACKEN (Leader of the Opposition):

Mr. Speaker, I have a question I had intended asking the Minister of Finance (Mr. Ilsley). However, in the absence of the minister, perhaps the Prime Minister would answer. If the answer is not immediately available, we could have it later.

According to the orders of the day we shall shortly be considering a government bill in respect of war expenditures and demobilization. Before that is proceeded with we should have before us the public accounts for the last fiscal year. I would ask the Minister of Finance to table the public accounts and the auditor general's report for the fiscal year ended March 31 last, at the earliest possible time.

Topic:   WAR AND DEMOBILIZATION BILL
Subtopic:   REQUEST FOR TABLING OF PUBLIC ACCOUNTS AND AUDITOR GENERAL'S REPORT

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

I can assure my hon. friend the reports will be tabled at the earliest moment after they become available. I shall direct the attention of the Minister of Finance to the question, for further reply.

Topic:   WAR AND DEMOBILIZATION BILL
Subtopic:   REQUEST FOR TABLING OF PUBLIC ACCOUNTS AND AUDITOR GENERAL'S REPORT

John Bracken (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. BRACKEN:

Would the Minister of Finance mind answering the question I asked in his absence a few minutes ago? '

Topic:   WAR AND DEMOBILIZATION BILL
Subtopic:   REQUEST FOR TABLING OF PUBLIC ACCOUNTS AND AUDITOR GENERAL'S REPORT

James Lorimer Ilsley (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Hon. J. L. ILSLEY (Minister of Finance):

The leader of the opposition was good enough to send me notice of the question which he asked, I believe, before I came in to-day, regarding the tabling of the public accounts and the auditor general's report for the fiscal year ended March 31, 1945. The statute, the Consolidated Revenue and Audit Act, provides for the tabling of these documents on or before

October 31 if the house is in session, and if the house is not then in session in any year within one week after the house begins to sit thereafter. We have been trying to get ready to comply with that provision of the act, that is to have these reports ready by October 31. They certainly cannot be ready before that, and I am sorry to say that I am afraid it will be physically impossible to have them ready by that date. I am told that there is a shortage of help in the printing bureau, there is a great press of printing work, and I may have to resort to some expedient or take some measure to give ourselves a little time, even then. However, I gather it does not make very much difference, so long as we cannot get it before the discussion, whether it is October 31 or a little later.

Topic:   WAR AND DEMOBILIZATION BILL
Subtopic:   REQUEST FOR TABLING OF PUBLIC ACCOUNTS AND AUDITOR GENERAL'S REPORT

WAR EXPENDITURES

INQUIRY AS TO SETTING UP OF SPECIAL COMMITTEE -WAR ASSETS CORPORATION

On the orders of the day:

CCF

Major James William Coldwell

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. M. J. COLDWELL (Rosetown-Biggar):

Arising out of the answer given by the Prime Minister to the question asked by the leader of the opposition I should like to know if the government will again consider the setting up of a war expenditures committee to study war expenditures as well as the activities of the War Assets Corporation?

Topic:   WAR EXPENDITURES
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO SETTING UP OF SPECIAL COMMITTEE -WAR ASSETS CORPORATION

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

I would mention to my hon. friend that there will be a public accounts committee. With respect to setting up further special committees at this session, I shall be glad to see that his suggestion is considered,

[DOT] but I am not in position at the moment to give a reply.

Topic:   WAR EXPENDITURES

WATER CONSERVATION

LETHBRIDGE SOUTHEAST PROJECT-ST. MARY RIVER DAM

On the orders of the day:

SC

John Horne Blackmore

Social Credit

Mr. J. H. BLACKMORE (Lethbridge):

I should like to direct a question to the Minister of Munitions and Supply. Will the minister make a statement to the house at an early day telling us when he expects to proceed with the construction of the St. Mary river dam, part of the Lethbridge southeast water conservation project in southern Alberta?

Topic:   WATER CONSERVATION
Subtopic:   LETHBRIDGE SOUTHEAST PROJECT-ST. MARY RIVER DAM

Clarence Decatur Howe (Minister of Reconstruction; Minister of Munitions and Supply)

Hon. C. D. HOWE (Minister of Munitions and Supply):

The project mentioned is receiving the attention of the Department of Muni-

Cattle in Toronto Stockyards

tions and Supply. I am not sure that I shall be able to announce the date of commencement at an early day. However, I shall do so as soon as I can.

Topic:   WATER CONSERVATION
Subtopic:   LETHBRIDGE SOUTHEAST PROJECT-ST. MARY RIVER DAM
SC

John Horne Blackmore

Social Credit

Mr. BLACKMORE:

Is the work likely to commence this fall?

Topic:   WATER CONSERVATION
Subtopic:   LETHBRIDGE SOUTHEAST PROJECT-ST. MARY RIVER DAM

Mr. HOWE:

No, it will not commence this fall.

Topic:   WATER CONSERVATION