April 13, 1945

SENIOR OFFICERS-ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS ASKED IN DISCUSSION OF WAR ESTIMATES

On the orders of the day:

Colin William George Gibson (Minister of National Defence for Air)

Hon. C. W. G. GIBSON (Minister of National Defence for Air):

I should like to lay on the table answers to questions that were asked during the course of the discussion of my estimates by the hon. member for York South (Mr. Noseworthy), dealing with senior officers of the Royal Canadian Air Force.

Topic:   ROYAL CANADIAN AIR FORCE
Subtopic:   SENIOR OFFICERS-ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS ASKED IN DISCUSSION OF WAR ESTIMATES

CANADIAN ARMED FORCES

CLOSING OF WINDSOR, N.S., EMBARKATION DEPOT

On the orders of the day:

NAT

Percy Chapman Black

National Government

Mr. P. C. BLACK (Cumberland):

I should like to direct a question to the parliamentary assistant to the Minister of National Defence. Is the reported closing of the military embarkation depot at Windsor, Nova Scotia, correct? If so, what are the reasons for closing it, and what disposition will be made of the establishment?

Topic:   CANADIAN ARMED FORCES
Subtopic:   CLOSING OF WINDSOR, N.S., EMBARKATION DEPOT

Douglas Charles Abbott (Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of National Defence)

Mr. D. C. ABBOTT (Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of National Defence):

The hon. member was good enough to give me notice of this question. I am informed that the transit depot at Windsor is to be closed on April 15, the facilities being no longer required. Movements will be handled at Debert. The hospital is to be kept in operation, but the camp itself will be put on a care and maintenance basis.

Dominion Elections

Topic:   CANADIAN ARMED FORCES
Subtopic:   CLOSING OF WINDSOR, N.S., EMBARKATION DEPOT

NAVAL SERVICES

DEEP BROOK, SYDNEY AND ESQTJIMALT ESTABLISHMENTS

On the orders of the day:

NAT

Percy Chapman Black

National Government

Mr. P. C. BLACK (Cumberland):

I should like to ask the Minister of National Defence for Naval Services if he will bring down the replies to the questions I asked when his estimates were before the house regarding the total costs for construction, equipment and land of the establishments at Deep Brook, Sydney and Esquimalt. When I asked these questions the minister promised that he would give the answers later, as he did not have the information before him at that time.

Hon. ANGUS L. MACDONALD (Minister of National Defence for Naval Services)': I am checking the figures now and I hope to have this information for my hon. friend by six o'clock.

Topic:   NAVAL SERVICES
Subtopic:   DEEP BROOK, SYDNEY AND ESQTJIMALT ESTABLISHMENTS

CAPITAL COSTS AT CORNWALLIS AND SYDNEY, N.S.

On the orders of the day: Hon. ANGUS L. MACDONALD (Minister of National Defence for Naval Services): Mr. Speaker, I can now give to the member for Cumberland (Mr. Black) answers to the questions which he asked some time ago. I have already given him the capital costs at Cornwallis and at Sydney, Nova Scotia. The cost of equipment at Cornwallis, according to the figures I have here, was $803,000; the cost of equipment at Sydney, $746,000; new construction at Esquimalt, $5,032,000; equipment at Esquimalt, $1,069,000.

NAT

Percy Chapman Black

National Government

Mr. P. C. BLACK (Cumberland):

I understand that the figures which the minister has just submitted, added to the figures which he gave to the committee before, constitute the total capital expenditures and expenditures on equipment up to the [DOT] present time, not taking into consideration operating costs?

Topic:   CAPITAL COSTS AT CORNWALLIS AND SYDNEY, N.S.

Angus Lewis Macdonald (Minister of National Defence for Naval Services)

Mr. MACDONALD (Kingston City):

My hon. friend says, up to the present time. I think that the figures that I gave him for Cornwallis were up to December 6, 1944; that was for the capital cost. The figures I have given for Sydney were up to February of this year. There might be a slight increase by now over the capital figures I gave, but I do not think it would be very great. The figures I have given on cost,of equipment should be added to the figures I gave on April 4 for capital costs.

Topic:   CAPITAL COSTS AT CORNWALLIS AND SYDNEY, N.S.

DOMINION ELECTIONS

WAR SERVICE VOTING REGULATIONS- MERCHANT SEAMEN

On the orders of the day: Mr. J. W. NOSEWORTHY (York South:) Earlier in the session I raised a question as to what provision was being made by the government for the taking of the vote on the personnel of the merchant marine during the coming election. I wonder if the secretary of state can give us that information.

Norman Alexander McLarty (Secretary of State of Canada)

Hon. N. A. McLARTY (Secretary of State):

The hon. member for York South was kind enough to advise me of his intention to ask this question, and in answer I should like to read a memorandum prepared by the chief electoral officer with regard to voting by those in the merchant marine. This reads:

By clause (c) of subparagraph 1 of paragraph 5 of the Canadian war service voting regulations, 1944, merchant seamen engaged in coastwise or foreign service are entitled to vote at the next general election as war service electors under the special voting procedure prescribed by the regulations.

Paragraph 36 of the regulations prescribe that these merchant seamen may cast their votes before any commissioned officer of the naval, military or air forces of Canada specially designated for the purpose of taking the votes of war sendee electors.

War service electors will vote during the twelve week days prior to polling day at the next general election.

Several voting places will be established for the taking of the votes of war service electors at Halifax, Saint John, Quebec, Montreal,. Vancouver and Victoria, where these merchant seamen may cast their votes upon satisfactory proof of their identity and of their qualifications as war service electors, during the voting period of twelve week days.

Furthermore, these merchant seamen will be able to vote as war service electors in large ports in the United1 Kingdom and other allied countries.

Topic:   DOMINION ELECTIONS