April 11, 1945

NAT

Thomas Langton Church

National Government

Mr. CHURCH:

It has been said by a brigadier general of one military district that some of the schools need jacking and checking up. I think some of these brass hats require checking up sometimes, in view of these absurd rules.

Topic:   CANADIAN ARMY
Subtopic:   MILITARY TRAINING OF HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS

PRISONERS OF WAR

CONDITIONS AMONG CANADIAN PERSONNEL

On the orders of the day:

Alfred Henry Bence

Mr. A. H. BENCE (Saskatoon City):

I wish to address a question to the Prime Minister. During the course of this session he and the Minister of National War Services have been good enough to make statements relating to the treatment of prisoners of war. In view of some of the alarming stories which are coming through the press and over the radio with respect to the bad conditions of released prisoners of war, could the Prime Minister, or someone on behalf of the government, if possible before the end of this session, or if not shortly thereafter, make a statement giving the most up-to-date information that can be obtained in connection with the matter? I would also suggest, in view of the difficulties which are being encountered overseas, that the government disclose as promptly as possible over the radio and through the press the official information they receive in this matter, because these stories, which one hopes relate only to isolated cases, are giving a great deal of concern to the next of kin.

Topic:   PRISONERS OF WAR
Subtopic:   CONDITIONS AMONG CANADIAN PERSONNEL

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

May I sajr to my hon. friend that I appreciate his raising the question, and I can assure him at once that the government is keeping as closely in touch as possible with this situation as it affects prisoners of war. We have asked in particular that some of these stories should be investigated. We have no-reason to believe at the present time that there is any foundation for them. The statement which I made in the house on March 23 regarding what was to be expected with respect to the camps covers the ground as far as the government is in a position to state it; and we have no

House oj Commons-Classifications

information from the protecting power, with which we have kept particularly closely in touch, to the effect that conditions have changed at all from what they were as I indicated when I last spoke to the house. My hon. friend's suggestion that such information as is available and authentic should be mentioned ovei* the radio or in whatever other way may be thought advisable is, I think, an excellent one, and I shall be glad to ask that it be carried out.

Topic:   PRISONERS OF WAR
Subtopic:   CONDITIONS AMONG CANADIAN PERSONNEL

LABOUR CONDITIONS

WARTIME WAGE CONTROL ORDERS

On the orders of the day:

CCF

Clarence Gillis

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. CLARENCE GILLIS (Cape Breton South):

I have a question to put to the Minister of Labour of which I am sorry 1 did. not get a chance to give him notification. As the minister is aware, there is widespread interest throughout the trades union movement in Canada in the amendments to orders in council 9384 and 1003, wage control and labour relations. When the supplementary estimates of the minister were under consideration, certain recommendations with respect to changes were made by members of this group. Is the government contemplating any changes in the orders mentioned?

Topic:   LABOUR CONDITIONS
Subtopic:   WARTIME WAGE CONTROL ORDERS

Humphrey Mitchell (Minister of Labour)

Hon. HUMPHREY MITCHELL (Minister of Labour):

It is a question of government policy. My hon. friend is as well aware as I am of the constitutional structure of this country. The representations made to me were not made by the national organizations in a personal way, but the drafting of that code was approved by this administration and provincial governments, labour organizations and employers, and the code was introduced a year ago. It was a subject of negotiation and, might I say, of compromise and conciliation. If my hon. friend were in my position I believe he would be the first to take the position which I myself take. Until all the evidence is in, until consultation has been had with those responsible for its administration under the constitution of this country, it will continue to receive the consideration which it rightly deserves.

PRIVILEGE-Mr. POULIOT

Topic:   LABOUR CONDITIONS
Subtopic:   WARTIME WAGE CONTROL ORDERS

REFERENCE TO COMMENTS IN DEBATE ON APRIL 10

On the orders of the day: Mr. JEAN-FRANCOIS POULIOT (Temis-couata): Eleven years ago Mr. Speaker Black ruled that the word "clown" addressed to a member of parliament was unparliamentary and had to be struck from Hansard. It had been said by a privy councillor of Mr. Bennett's cabinet and addressed to the then hon. member for Temiscouata who now represents the same county. Yesterday the same word was addressed several times to me by the hon. member for Dufferin-Simcoe (Mr. Rowe), and when he spoke I did not understand what he said. However, I will not ask you, sir, to force him to withdraw, nor will I ask you to have the words struck out of Hansard. I want to have it left there as a record of the humiliations I have suffered for defending the farmers and labour men. There is another thing that was said by the hon. member for Royal (Mr. Brooks). Speaking of me he said: "He is trying to crawl back,"-he probably meant to the government seats. I will tell my hon. friend that that is a kind of sport I have not indulged in for half a century. The last time I crawled was fifty-four years ago when I was exactly one year old. Since then it has not been part of my daily dozen.

On the orders of the day:

NAT

Gordon Graydon (Leader of the Official Opposition)

National Government

Mr. GORDON GRAYDON (Leader of the Opposition):

There is a question I should

like to direct to the Prime Minister. Last August, I am not sure of the date, but I know it was near the end of the session, and at the beginning of this session, a report of the civil service commission was laid on the table-two reports, if I remember correctly-with respect to the House of Commons, and particularly the protective staff who are in the precincts of this chamber and of this House of Commons jurisdiction. It was left, as Your Honour stated, to be dealt with by parliament; but parliament cannot deal with it unless some initiative is taken by the government, and I was wondering if the Prime Minister had anything in mind in this regard during this session.

Topic:   RECOMMENDATIONS OF CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION WITH RESPECT TO CLASSIFICATIONS, ETC.

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

As my hon. friend knows,

this session was called for the specific purpose I have mentioned and there have been, I was going to say, innumerable requests that the government pass this amendment or that, or introduce this or that piece of legislation. We have felt it necessary, however, to hold to the purposes announced and not to go beyond them. In the circumstances it is not the intention of the government to introduce anything outside our announced programme. The matter to which my hon. friend has just referred is no dou'bt one that will be promptly taken up by whatever government may be in office at the first session of the new parliament.

766 COMMONS

War Appropriation-Munitions and Supply

WAR APPROPRIATION BILL

PROVISION FOR GRANTING TO HIS MAJESTY AID FOR NATIONAL DEFENCE AND SECURITY

The house resumed from Tuesday, April 10, consideration in committee of a resolution to grant to His Majesty certain sums of money for the carrying out of measures consequent upon the existence of a state of war-Mr. Usley-Mr. Bradette in the chair.

April 11, 1945