July 3, 1944

NAT

Herbert Alexander Bruce

National Government

Mr. BRUCE:

Mr. Speaker, I still maintain that I was referring to curtailment of the freedom of speech and that therefore I was perfectly within my rights as a member of this house.

Subtopic:   THE BUDGET
Sub-subtopic:   DEBATE ON THE ANNUAL FINANCIAL STATEMENT OF THE MINISTER OF FINANCE

James Joseph McCann

Mr. McCANN:

With reference to whom?

Subtopic:   THE BUDGET

Thomas Vien (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

Order. The hon. gentleman is referring to the curtailment of speech. He is entitled to state his views, but he must not, in referring to freedom of speech, refer to some other matter which has already taken place in the form of a debate in the other house. [DOT]

NAT

Herbert Alexander Bruce

National Government

Mr. BRUCE:

Mr. Speaker, may I just

quote an eminent Frenchman, Voltaire, who once said:

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

I therefore wish only to have the same freedom in this house as they have in other parliaments of the world.

Subtopic:   THE BUDGET

Ian Alistair Mackenzie (Minister of Pensions and National Health)

Mr. MACKENZIE (Vancouver Centre):

Order.

NAT

Gordon Graydon (Leader of the Official Opposition)

National Government

Mr. GRAYDON:

You just keep quiet. It is the Speaker's job to keep order, not yours. We cannot hear the debate for your cries of "order".

Subtopic:   THE BUDGET

Ian Alistair Mackenzie (Minister of Pensions and National Health)

Mr. MACKENZIE (Vancouver Centre):

You are the most frequent interrupter in the house.

Subtopic:   THE BUDGET

Thomas Vien (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

I am quite sure the hon. member for Parkdale-

Subtopic:   THE BUDGET

Ian Alistair Mackenzie (Minister of Pensions and National Health)

Mr. MACKENZIE (Vancouver Centre):

The leader of the opposition was not in the house when it happened.

Subtopic:   THE BUDGET

Thomas Vien (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

I am quite sure the hon. member for Parkdale (Mr. Bruce) does not intend to convey by his words that I have refused him permission to exercise his privilege of free speech within this house, but that is the only inference I can draw from his remarks. I must ask the hon. member to dissociate himself from any such meaning.

If the hon. member for Parkdale does not hear me distinctly I wish some of the hon. members would convey to him what I have just said.

George Alexander Cruickshank

Mr. CRUICKSHANK:

Withdraw what you said.

NAT

Karl Kenneth Homuth

National Government

Mr. HOMUTH:

Withdraw nothing; what

are you talking about?

Subtopic:   THE BUDGET

Thomas Vien (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

The hon. member for

Parkdale does not hear me. I wish some of his colleagues would convey to him the

meaning of what I have already said to him, because I must ask that he should dissociate himself from any meaning that -I might take as a reflection upon the Chair in that I am preventing him from exercising his right of free speech.

NAT

Gordon Graydon (Leader of the Official Opposition)

National Government

Mr. GRAYDON:

Mr. Speaker, I just came into the house-

Subtopic:   THE BUDGET

Ian Alistair Mackenzie (Minister of Pensions and National Health)

Mr. MACKENZIE (Vancouver Centre):

Subtopic:   THE BUDGET

Thomas Vien (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

Order. I am sorry to interrupt the leader of the opposition (Mr. Graydon), but I have already taken the position that the hon. member must withdraw the implication or the meaning which his words convey, namely, that I was exercising the rights of the Chair to prevent him from the-right of free speech.

NAT

Gordon Graydon (Leader of the Official Opposition)

National Government

Mr. GRAYDON:

Mr. Speaker, all that I

wanted to say was this-

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Order.

Subtopic:   THE BUDGET

Thomas Vien (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

I am always willing indeed to hear the leader of the opposition,, but on this matter-

NAT

Gordon Graydon (Leader of the Official Opposition)

National Government

Mr. GRAYDON:

I fail to see what this

is all about and why I cannot say a word on the matter-

July 3, 1944