March 16, 1944

PRIVILEGE

MB. POULIOT-ARTICLE IN VANCOUVER "SUN" OP MARCH 8

Mr. JEAN-FRANCOIS POULIOT (Temis-couata): I rise to a question of privilege arising out of an article published on the front page of the Vancouver Sun of Wednesday, March 8. The article reads: Government May Get Rid of "Vocalamity". That is a new word. I pronounce it differently from the way in which it is spelled because it sounds so bad when it is correctly pronounced.

NAT

Karl Kenneth Homuth

National Government

Mr. HOMUTH:

Will the hon. member speak louder? We cannot hear him at all.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE
Subtopic:   MB. POULIOT-ARTICLE IN VANCOUVER "SUN" OP MARCH 8

Jean-François Pouliot

Mr. POULIOT:

Thank you. I continue with the quotation :

From the Vancouver Sun Ottawa Bureau.

Ottawa, March 8-Amid all the talk about parliamentary reform, a major step in that direction is being considered very quietly in Ottawa. The step is naming Jean Francois Pouliot, the too-talkative member from Temis-couata, to the Board of Transport Commissioners.

While observers say it would be a surprising appointment, the price might not be too great to pay for the ending of his lengthy speeches-

By the way, Mr. Speaker, I did not address the house since Thursday of last week.

-his bitter attacks on Defence Minister Ralston, and his criticisms of war expenditures.

He isn't just too talkative, he's "a vocalamity."

Accompanying the article is a picture of the person about whom it is written. Now, sir, may I make a brief answer. It is this. The writer of this article wants to cut the grass under the feet of the official press reporter of the senate. He wants to get the job of Tom Green in the senate. He is a nasty little fellow. For the rest, the article is perfectly untrue.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE
Subtopic:   MB. POULIOT-ARTICLE IN VANCOUVER "SUN" OP MARCH 8

INTERNATIONAL AGREEMENTS

AUSTRALIA-NEW ZEALAND, 1944-AVAILABILITY OF COPIES TO MEMBERS

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

Mr. Speaker, I have a few announcements to make to the house. First of all may I say that the Australia-New Zealand agreement of 1944, which the hon. member for Vancouver South (Mr. Green) asked to have printed, has now been printed and copies are available in the library or they may be obtained from the Clerk of the House.

I should like to commend this document to the hon. members as an illuminating example of the flexible and effective methods of cooperation between countries of the British commonwealth.

Topic:   INTERNATIONAL AGREEMENTS
Subtopic:   AUSTRALIA-NEW ZEALAND, 1944-AVAILABILITY OF COPIES TO MEMBERS

EMBASSIES

EXCHANGE OF DIPLOMATIC MISSIONS WITH MEXICO

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

As hon. members are

aware, the government of Canada and the government of Mexico have agreed to exchange diplomatic missions. I have pleasure in informing the house that the Hon. W. F. A. Turgeon has been appointed the first Canadian Ambassador to Mexico.

Mr. Turgeon's career is well known, but I should like to place on Hansard the following points of interest: Mr. Turgeon only recently returned from Buenos Aires. He was appointed first Canadian Minister to Argentina and Chile in September, 1941. Prior to that time he had a long career at the bar and on the bench culminating in his appointment as Chief Justice of Saskatchewan. Before going to the bench. Mr. Turgeon was a member of the legislature of Saskatchewan and Attorney

Resignation oj Judge McTague

General of that province. He has also served with distinction on royal commissions regarding the grain trade and the textile industry.

It is my understanding that the Mexican government are to-day announcing the appointment of Doctor Francisco Del Rio Canedo as Mexican Ambassador to Canada. Doctor Del Rio's diplomatic career has also included the posts of Mexican Minister in Uruguay, and Mexican Ambassador in Guatemala.

Topic:   EMBASSIES
Subtopic:   EXCHANGE OF DIPLOMATIC MISSIONS WITH MEXICO
NAT

Gordon Graydon (Leader of the Official Opposition)

National Government

Mr. GRAYDON:

Will the Prime Minister give the house such information as he possesses with respect to the replacement of the Hon. Mr. Turgeon as minister to Argentina?

Topic:   EMBASSIES
Subtopic:   EXCHANGE OF DIPLOMATIC MISSIONS WITH MEXICO

Mr. MACKENZIE KING:

I may say to my hon. friend that the government does not contemplate making an immediate appointment of a successor of Mr. Turgeon in the Argentine. The Charge d'Affaires, Mr. Kirkwood, is in charge of the office at the present time.

Topic:   EMBASSIES
Subtopic:   EXCHANGE OF DIPLOMATIC MISSIONS WITH MEXICO

MINISTER OF FINANCE

ANNOUNCEMENT AS TO ABSENCE FOR PURPOSES OF REST

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

I should like to mention to hon. members that on Sunday evening last the hon. Minister of Finance (Mr. Ilsley) left for Washington where he has been during the last few days taking up matters of financial relations between the two countries with Mr. Morgenthau, the United States Secretary of the Treasury. I am glad to be able to say that I have been able to persuade the Minister of Finance to take a very much needed rest. It has been with the greatest difficulty that he has agreed to remain away from his official duties for a few weeks. I am sure that the house will share the feelings I have just expressed at the Minister of Finance having at last agreed to take this very much needed rest. No minister of the crown, I believe, has $yer given himself more completely to the duties of his office or has had more difficult problems to contend with than has the Minister of Finance since the beginning of the war. I would express the hope that he may come back very much reinvigorated by the short absence that he will have. My colleague, the Minister of Defence (Mr. Ralston) is the acting minister of finance in the absence of the minister.

Topic:   MINISTER OF FINANCE
Subtopic:   ANNOUNCEMENT AS TO ABSENCE FOR PURPOSES OF REST

WAR LABOUR BOARDS

ANNOUNCEMENT OF RESIGNATION OF CHAIRMAN OF NATIONAL WAR LABOUR BOARD

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

I wish to announce to hon.

members that the Hon. Mr. Justice McTague has tendered his resignation as chairman of the national war labour board and the government has felt obliged, in the circumstances which have had to be considered, regretfully to accept Mr. McTague's resignation.

I should like to read the letters which have been exchanged between Mr. McTague and myself. I shall read first Mr. Justice McTague's letter to me:

Canada

National War Labour Board Ottawa,

March 8, 1944.

The Right Honourable W. L. Mackenzie King, P.C., *

Prime Minister of Canada,

Ottawa, Ontario.

Dear Mr. Prime Minister:

As I advised you in our conference of two weeks ago, I have made up my mind to resigD as chairman of the national war labour board. I have consulted the Minister of Labour and now ask you to accept the resignation as of March 17.

May I say, so that there will be no misunderstanding, my decision is not based on any differences with the government nor with the Minister of Labour personally. While the new wages order and the new labour code are perhaps not as I would personally devise them. I recognize the government's responsibility for them. As an administrator it is no function of mine to criticize. As a matter of fact I think the new code represents a milestone in labour relations and an excellent start. No doubt with experience amendments will prove necessary in both orders. That is to be expected in the natural course of things.

As I explained to you in conversation, I feel that what I set out to do on your invitation is completed to a point where someone else can now take over with a degree of confidence. The past year has been a particularly arduous one for me and I am rather tired. Besides I feel that I have been away from law too long. As you know I have spent more than three and one-half years in Ottawa on the work of the war contracts depreciation board and the national war labour board.

May I thank you personally and the other ministers for the manner in which you have all cooperated with me in my work. If some of fhy public statements have proved embarrassing at times I am sorry but I still think I must have been right.

Sincerely yours,

C. P. McTague.

My reply to Mr. Justice McTague is as follows: It was written to-day.

Office of the Prime Minister

Ottawa, 16th March, 1944.

Hon. C. P. McTague,

Chairman, National War Labour Board,

Ottawa.

My dear Mr. Justice McTague:

I duly received your letter of the 8th of March, and have delayed its acknowledgment

Labour Relations Board

until to-day in the hope that you might find it possible to reconsider your decision and to continue as chairman of the board for at least a few months longer. From my conversations with you I understand fully the circumstances which have prompted your action, and which cause you to feel that you must adhere to the decision you had practically reached some little time before your letter was written. I have to-day communicated the contents of your letter to my colleagues in the cabinet. It is with regret that the government feels it should accede to your request and accept your resignation as chairman of the national war labour board.

I should like to take this opportunity to express anew the appreciation felt by the government of the signal service you have rendered to Canada's war effort in your capacity as chairman of the national war labour board throughout a very difficult year in the life of the board; also of the services you had previously rendered over a period of two and one-half years on the war contracts depreciation board.

I should like to add a word of warm personal appreciation of the uniformly lielpful and cordial relations which we have enjoyed during the whole of the period you have served as chairman of the board, and of your readiness throughout that time to be of such assistance to the government as lay within your power.

In the light of the strenuous nature of your duties I can well understand your present feelings of fatigue. I hope that being relieved of some of the pressure under which you have been working, you may speedily regain the resiliency of mind and spirit which in the past you have greatly enjoyed.

With kindest personal regards,

Yours sincerely,

W. L. Mackenzie King.

Mr. MaoINNIS: Has a successor to the Hon. Mr. Justice McTague been appointed, and, if not, will the functions of the board be continued in the meantime?

Topic:   WAR LABOUR BOARDS
Subtopic:   ANNOUNCEMENT OF RESIGNATION OF CHAIRMAN OF NATIONAL WAR LABOUR BOARD

Mr. MACKENZIE KING:

The successor will be announced as soon as he is appointed. I do not contemplate that there will be a delay of any length of time in the appointment of a successor. In the meantime the board will continue to function.

Topic:   WAR LABOUR BOARDS