Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):
Mr. Speaker, this morning Prime Minister Churchill and President Roosevelt issued a proclamation addressed to the people of Italy, setting forth that the sole hope for Italy's survival lies in honourable capitulation. The following is the text of the proclamation:
1. At this moment the combined armed forces of the United States, Great Britain and Canada, under the command of General Eisenhower and his deputy, General Alexander, are carrying the war deep into the territory of your country. This is the direct consequence of the shameful leadership to which you have been subjected by Mussolini and his fascist regime.
2. Mussolini carried you into this war as the satellite of a brutal destroyer of peoples and liberties.
3. Mussolini plunged you into a w'ar which he thought Hitler had already won. In spite of Italy's great vulnerability to attack by air and sea, your fascist leaders sent your sons, your ships, your air forces, to distant battlefields to aid Germany in her attempt to conquer England, Russia and the world.
4. This association with the designs of nazi-controlled Germany was unworthy of Italy's ancient traditions of freedom and culture- traditions to which the peoples of America and Great Britain owe so much.
5. Your soldiers have fought not in the interests of Italy but for nazi Germany. They have
fought courageously, but they have been betrayed and abandoned by the Germans on the Russian front and on every battlefield in Africa from El Alemein to Cape Bon.
6. To-day Germany's hope for world conquest have been blasted on all fronts. The skies over Italy are dominated by the vast air armadas of the United States and Great Britain. Italy's sea coasts are threatened by the greatest accumulation of British and allied sea power ever concentrated in the Mediterranean.
7. The forces now opposed to you are pledged to destroy the power of nazi Germany-power which has ruthlessly been used to inflict slavery, destruction and death on all those who refuse to recognize the Germans as the master race.
8. The sole hope for Italy's survival lies in honourable capitulation to the overwhelming power of the military forces of the united nations.
9. If you continue to tolerate the fascist regime which serves the evil power of the nazis, you must suffer the consequences of your own choice. We take no satisfaction in invading Italian soil and bringing the tragic devastation of war home to the Italian people. But we are determined to destroy the false leaders and their doctrines which have brought Italy to her present position.
10. Every moment that you resist the combined forces of the united nations-every drop of blood that you sacrifice-can serve only one purpose; to give the fascist and nazi leaders a little more time to escape from the inevitable consequences of their own crime.
11. All your interests and all your traditions have been betrayed by nazi Germany and your own false and corrupt leaders; it is only by destroying both that a reconstituted Italy can hope to occupy a respected place in the family of European nations.
12. The time has now come for you, Italian people, to consult your own self-respect and your own interests and your own desires for a restoration of national dignity, security and peace. The time has come for you to decide whether Italians shall die for Mussolini and Hitler or live for Italy and for civilization.
Subtopic: MESSAGE OP PRIMP, MINISTER CHURCHILL AND PRESIDENT ROOSEVELT TO THE PEOPLE OP ITALY