June 3, 1943

STANDING ORDERS

Third report of standing committee on standing orders-Mr. Golding.

NAT

Richard Burpee Hanson

National Government

Hon. R. B. HANSON (York-Sunbury):

Mr. Speaker, on a question of privilege, in the Montreal Standard of May 29 there appeared under an Ottawa dateline a news item which indicated among other things that fifty members of this House of Commons were derelict in their duty in leaving this house on Friday last, and in fact we were indicted as having played hookey. On behalf of all my colleagues who made that journey, as well as on my own behalf, I desire to repudiate the implications of this article. May I be permitted to say, sir, that those of us who journeyed to Buffalo last week, where we inspected the great plants of the Curtiss-Wright corporation and other companies, went not as schoolboys escaping from school. We went on an educational tour to see and to learn at first hand of the splendid progress being made in aeroplane production by our great and friendly neighbour, to learn of the great contribution being made to the cause of the united nations, both by industrial giants and by the working men and women of the United States; and over and above all that we went as ambassadors of good-will from Canada to the United States. It -was my privilege, along with my friend the hon. Minister of National Revenue (Mr. Gibson) and my friend the hon. member for Vancouver Burrard (Mr. McGeer), to pay tribute and give full expression to that attitude of heart and mind on the part of the people of Canada to the people of the United States. I am firmly of the opinion that it would be of great advantage to the common cause if there were more of these journeys with the same intention. Finally, instead of chastising the hon. member for Hamilton East (Mr. Ross), by whose kind invitation we were enabled to make that journey, I think we should commend him and on behalf of my colleagues who are so much indebted to him for his kindness, I here and now offer him our generous and sincere thanks and commendation.

72537-208J

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-HON. MR. HANSON PRESS REPORT OF VISIT OF MEMBERS OF PARLIAMENT TO BUFFALO

DOCTOR EDUARD BENES

On the order for motions:

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

Mr. Speaker, hon. members of this house and such members of the senate as were in the city to-day had the privilege of listening to a memorable address at noon by His Excellency Doctor Eduard Benes, President of the Czechoslovak republic. It will, I am sure, be desired by hon. members generally that the address delivered by Doctor Benes should be given a permanent place in the records of this parliament. I would therefore move, seconded by Mr. Crerar:

That the speech of His Excellency Eduard Benes, President of the Czechoslovak Republic, delivered this day before the members of the Senate and the House of Commons, be printed as an appendix to the Official Report of the Debates of the House of Commons, and form part of the permanent records of this house.

Topic:   DOCTOR EDUARD BENES
Subtopic:   ADDRESS TO MEMBERS OF SENATE AND HOUSE OF COMMONS TO BE PRINTED IN OFFICIAL REPORT OF DEBATES
SC

Ernest George Hansell

Social Credit

Mr. E. G. HANSELL (Macleod):

May I ask the Prime Minister if under this motion his introduction of His Excellency as well as the speeches given by the Speaker of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Commons are also to be recorded? I am in favour of that. I do not understand French and was unable to grasp the speech of the Speaker of the Senate, but judging from the applause I think it should be recorded. May I at this time express my personal thanks to you, Your Honour, for your inspiring message this morning. I am sure that if the Prime Minister -would include in his motion all that was said this morning, it would be acceptable to this house.

Topic:   DOCTOR EDUARD BENES

Mr. MACKENZIE KING:

I might say that in the motion as I presented it I did not include the "et ceteras", either before or after, but I do thank my hon. friend for his suggestion, and if the house approves it, I shall regard its approval as a compliment, as I am sure also, will Their Honours the Speakers.

Topic:   DOCTOR EDUARD BENES
CCF

Major James William Coldwell

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. COLDWELL:

Was a verbatim record made of what was said?

Topic:   DOCTOR EDUARD BENES

Mr. MACKENZIE KING:

Topic:   DOCTOR EDUARD BENES

Motion agreed to.

Falconbridge Nickel Company

FALCONBRIDGE NICKEL COMPANY

REFERENCES BY PRESIDENT OF THE COMPANY TO NORWAY REFINERY

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

The hon. member for

Rosetown-Biggar (Mr. Coldwell) has drawn the attention of hon. members of this house to the following statement made at the annual general meeting on April 21 of the Falconbridge Nickel Mines Limited by the president of the company:

Incidentally, you will be glad to learn-as I was-that through indirect channels it is reported that your Norway refinery is safe so far, and is being maintained. It is in operation by your Norwegian staff, under German control, on the same Norwegian nickel-copper ore production that we formerly handled on toll basis.

I regret to have to confirm that the statement to which attention has been drawn was in fact made by the president of Falconbridge Nickel Mines Limited, and is printed in the report of the annual meeting of the company. It is a deplorable statement, from which the inference could be drawn-I am sure unfairly -that the property interests of the company were being put above the prosecution of the war. We know that the German government is very short of nickel, and it cannot be doubted that it would be to the advantage of the united nations if the Falconbridge refinery in Norway were to be rendered wholly inoperative.

On behalf of the government, I should like to repeat the regret that such a thoughtless and ill-considered statement should have been made by the responsible head of an important Canadian mining company, which in its own operations in Canada is making a very useful contribution to the united war effort.

Topic:   FALCONBRIDGE NICKEL COMPANY
Subtopic:   REFERENCES BY PRESIDENT OF THE COMPANY TO NORWAY REFINERY
CCF

Major James William Coldwell

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. COLDWELL:

I would ask the Prime Minister what the government propose to do about it, because this statement is much more subversive than some statements for which men have been incarcerated, or interned. I should like to know what the government proposes to do, not what it says.

Topic:   FALCONBRIDGE NICKEL COMPANY
Subtopic:   REFERENCES BY PRESIDENT OF THE COMPANY TO NORWAY REFINERY

Mr. MACKENZIE KING:

Well, I may say that the statement which I have just made will, I believe, be more effective in its results than any other measure which the government could possibly take.

Topic:   FALCONBRIDGE NICKEL COMPANY