May 31, 1943

CCF

Thomas Clement (Tommy) Douglas

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. DOUGLAS (Weyburn):

Should we not have a quid pro quo in regard to that?

Topic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE

James Layton Ralston (Minister of National Defence)

Mr. RALSTON:

We have been trying for

some time to have a quid pro quo in connection with prisoners of war.

SC

Charles Edward Johnston

Social Credit

Mr. JOHNSTON (Bow River):

If a German prisoner receives a promotion do we have to increase his pay?

Topic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE

James Layton Ralston (Minister of National Defence)

Mr. RALSTON:

By agreement, if the

agreement refers to the rank, the pay is increased.

SC

Ernest George Hansell

Social Credit

Mr. HANSELL:

I do not think the matter of conscientious objectors and their internment has been cleared up entirely.

Topic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE

James Layton Ralston (Minister of National Defence)

Mr. RALSTON:

Conscientious objectors

are one thing, and internment is another. We have been somewhat confused in the discussion. The hon. member for Calgary West (Mr. Edwards) was really discussing a matter which was outside the terms of this resolution entirely, while the hon. member for York South (Mr. Noseworthy) was discussing something which was within the terms of the resolution. He was discussing those who are interned, and that is part of this vote. I have no objection under the proper circumstances to discussing the matter of conscientious objectors, but I do not think this is the item under which it should be discussed.

SC

Ernest George Hansell

Social Credit

Mr. HANSELL:

I should like to know just where I could bring in that discussion.

Topic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE

Ian Alistair Mackenzie (Minister of Pensions and National Health)

Mr. MACKENZIE (Vancouver Centre):

Under the labour estimates.

Topic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE

Joseph-Arthur Bradette (Deputy Speaker and Chair of Committees of the Whole of the House of Commons)

The CHAIRMAN:

Shall the item carry? Some hon. MEMBERS: Carried.

The CHAIRMAN:

The next item is dependents' supplementary grants fund, $1,285,000.

SC

Charles Edward Johnston

Social Credit

Mr. JOHNSTON (Bow River):

I believe this is the item under which we can discuss assistance given to wives who have been deserted by soldiers. I brought a case to the attention of the minister the other day, and he said he would review the matter and make a statement to the house.

War Appropriation-Army

Topic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE

James Layton Ralston (Minister of National Defence)

Mr. RALSTON:

The chairman of the dependents' board of trustees tells me that the case submitted by my hon. friend is being examined. He is right in assuming that it can be discussed under this item.

SC

Charles Edward Johnston

Social Credit

Mr. JOHNSTON (Bow River):

I took the matter up with the department separately, but I was wondering if there was a breakdown of this particular case.

CCF

Clarence Gillis

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. GILLIS:

I am interested in a matter similar to that brought up by the hon. member. The dependents' board of trustees is not permitted to grant an allowance unless the dependent is receiving pay and allowance. When a man goes absent without leave and is away for the period covered by the regulations, his dependent's allowance is cut off and, if it is a wife, she cannot receive any assistance from the dependents' board of trustees. I ask the minister to see that the functions of this board are extended so that they may give assistance to these women. There are many cases across Canada, and a sad situation is being created because this board cannot give assistance to women in this position.

CCF

Clarence Gillis

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. GILLIS:

That is as I understand it.

Progress reported.

Topic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE

At eleven o'clock the house adjourned, without question put, pursuant to standing order. Tuesday, June 1, 1943

May 31, 1943