July 2, 1942

On the orders of the day:

Thomas Miller Bell

Mr. M. J. COLD WELL (Rosetown-Biggar):

I would1 like to direct a question to the Minister of Trade and Commerce. According to this morning's papers some agreement has been reached with regard to wheat. Can the minister make a statement to the house, since one has already been given to the press?

Topic:   QUESTIONS PASSED AS ORDERS FOR RETURNS
Subtopic:   NEW INTERNATIONAL AGREEMENT-DRAFT CONVENTION ON PRODUCTION AND EXPORT CONTROL AND MINIMUM PRICES

James Angus MacKinnon (Minister of Trade and Commerce)

Hon. J. A. MacKINNON (Minister of Trade and Commerce):

Mr. Speaker, I have nothing to add at the moment to what has been published in the press in connection with finality, for the time being, in the wheat discussions at Washington. It was agreed that an announcement would be made from Washington for all the nations participating in the discussions, and my comment was based on the statement which has been published.

Topic:   QUESTIONS PASSED AS ORDERS FOR RETURNS

Thomas Miller Bell

Mr. COLD WELL:

Does not the minister think it wiser that any statements of that kind should be made to the house when it is sitting rather than to the press?

Topic:   QUESTIONS PASSED AS ORDERS FOR RETURNS

James Angus MacKinnon (Minister of Trade and Commerce)

Mr. MacKINNON (Edmonton West):

I take it that the hon. gentleman is referring to the announcement regarding the wheat

agreement?

Topic:   QUESTIONS PASSED AS ORDERS FOR RETURNS

Thomas Miller Bell

Mr. COLDWELL:

Topic:   QUESTIONS PASSED AS ORDERS FOR RETURNS

James Angus MacKinnon (Minister of Trade and Commerce)

Mr. MacKINNON (Edmonton West):

It was originally arranged that the announce-

Battle of Egypt

ment would be made simultaneously from the various countries concerned, and had it been possible to do this, the announcement on behalf of Canada would have been made in this House of Commons, but it was found that the hours in the different countries did not tally sufficiently closely to make that possible, and it was finally decided that one announcement would be made on behalf of all countries and that it would be made from Washington, where the conference was held.

Topic:   QUESTIONS PASSED AS ORDERS FOR RETURNS

CANADIAN ARMY

On the orders of the day:

James Layton Ralston (Minister of National Defence)

Hon. J. L. RALSTON (Minister of National Defence):

Mr. Speaker, I think I ought to mention to the house an incident which occurred to-day regarding which I feel very deeply, and as to which I should like to give the house such facts as I can.

I deeply regret to inform the house that two cadets of the officers' training centre at Brock-ville are in a very grave condition as a result of an accident which took place in the course of an exercise which the cadets were putting on here this afternoon. Part of the exercise was the crossing of the Rideau canal in battle order. These two cadets could not make the crossing and were rescued with considerable difficulty. When I left the scene only a few minutes ago resuscitation efforts were being continued, but up to that point without success, although all hope had not been abandoned. These two cadets are both noncommissioned officers recently returned from overseas to take their commissions.

Two other cadets were overcome in the crossing. They were taken to the hospital, and the report I have is that their condition is not serious. The names of the cadets are withheld pending receipt by the next of kin of notices which are being sent out in accordance with ihe regular practice.

I may say for the information of the house that two of the three officers in command of the party were officers who had come back from overseas for instructional work, including instructional work in battle drill.

I want to say further-this is information I got when I was on the scene-that all these cadets had been through this practice in water-crossing, only last week, and had practice of this kind as part of their regular training. The adjutant-general has already undertaken a thorough investigation, which will be made to-morrowT.

I am sure that we all join in the deepest sympathy for the next of kin, and I also feel that the cadets of the school should also have our sympathy and interest because they have entered most keenly and enthusiastically on exercises of this kind, which are regarded as a necessary part of the preparation for training in present-day warfare.

Topic:   QUESTIONS PASSED AS ORDERS FOR RETURNS
Subtopic:   CANADIAN ARMY
Sub-subtopic:   ACCIDENT TO CADETS IN BATTLE EXEECISES IN OTTAWA

BATTLE OF EGYPT

On the orders of the day:

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

Mr. Speaker, the house no doubt will desire to have the latest word with respect to the battle of Egypt. I am not, unfortunately, in a position to give information based on official reports which have been received to-day, but through the courtesy of the Canadian Press I have received the Associated Press report of what was said by Mr. Churchill in the House of Commons to-day. In the course of his remarks Mr. Churchill said:

The battle of Egypt has brought the allies face to face with a disaster in the middle east equalled only by the fall of France, but the issue is not yet decided and "very considerable" reinforcements have reached or are approaching the battlefield.

Mr. Churchill also said:

Military misfortunes of the last fortnight in Cyrenaica and Egypt have completely transformed the situation, not only in that theatre but throughout the Mediterranean.

At any moment we may receive news of grave importance.

The press report states:

Mr. Churchill's sombre portrayal of the war in Africa was relieved only by his statement that "very considerable" reinforcements have reached or "are approaching" the battlefield.

And in indirect quotation:

I do not consider the struggle as in any way decided.

The Prime Minister also stated that the war, he thought, was likely to be a long one.

In that connection I should like to repeat what I said in the house the day after my return from Washington, as follows, as reported at page 3722 of Hansard:

There can be no doubt at all that the situation at the moment is one of the most critical with which the united nations have been faced, one of the most serious that has arisen in the course of the whole war. To get the true perspective one has, however, to recall the very critical situations which have arisen in the past, and to remind oneself that the forces of the united nations have been able to rise superior to any temporary reverse, and that to-day there can be no doubt that the united nations are stronger and better organized than they have been at

The Budget-

-Mr. Fraser (Peterborough)

any time since the war began. . . . My own view is that the present conflict will have more to do with the probable duration of the war than with any question of its ultimate outcome. It may be that as a result of the present conflict the struggle will be much longer than up to the present we have hoped and expected it might be.

One thing is quite certain, that every country that is a member of the united nations will have to put forth its utmost effort in helping to overcome the enemy.

Topic:   QUESTIONS PASSED AS ORDERS FOR RETURNS
Subtopic:   BATTLE OF EGYPT
Sub-subtopic:   PRESENT POSITION-MB. CHURCHILL'S STATEMENT IN BRITISH HOUSE OF COMMONS

BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE

INQUIRY AS TO DISTRIBUTION OP FRENCH TRANSLATION OF BUDGET RESOLUTIONS

On the orders of the day:

Charles Eugène Parent

Mr. CHARLES PARENT (Quebec West and South):

Mr. Speaker, I should like to

direct the attention of the house to the fact that the ways and means resolutions have not yet been distributed in French. We have been, asking for copies since the speech was delivered by the Minister of Finance, and we have not been able to get a single copy in French. This is one of the most important documents which should be available to hon. members, and we are entitled to read it in our own language. The question is one of primary importance, and I do not know why we should not have these documents in time, as for Hansard. We are now called upon to rush this budget through at full speed. How can we judge the importance of the budget until we know the items which will be fought out, or amended if it is possible, without having knowledge of the budget in itemized form? I believe this situation should be remedied without delay, and for my part I am not prepared to support the budget until I have read what is in it. Until that time I must be counted as against the budget as a whole. When it comes into committee of ways and means, I reserve my right to discuss the items after I have been able to read them in my own language.

Topic:   BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO DISTRIBUTION OP FRENCH TRANSLATION OF BUDGET RESOLUTIONS

James Lorimer Ilsley (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Hon. J. L. ILSLEY (Minister of Finance):

May I ask the hon. gentleman if he is referring to the translation or to the French version of the resolutions which appear as a part of the budget speech, at the end of the budget speech, on June 23, 1942?

Topic:   BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE