June 16, 1942

On the orders of the day:

CON

Joseph Henry Harris

Mr. J. H. HARRIS (Danforth):

I should

like to ask a question which I was not able to transmit earlier to the Minister of Finance, but which he can probably answer in a day or two. There is a severe shortage of beef for the consuming public in the Toronto area, due to restrictions of the wartime prices and trade board, coupled with the fact that exports will begin again on the first of July at a much higher level than prevails under the ruling of the board, and also that army contracts are let at higher levels than the present price structure will permit for domestic consumption. Will the minister survey the situation with the wartime prices and trade board and say what is going to be done to assure a domestic supply of beef for the Toronto and Ontario areas?

Topic:   SHORTAGE OF SUPPLIES IN TORONTO DISTRICT

James Lorimer Ilsley (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Hon. J. L. ILSLEY (Minister of Finance):

I shall be glad to do that.

Topic:   SHORTAGE OF SUPPLIES IN TORONTO DISTRICT

TRANSPORT CONTROL

EFFECT OF ORDER OF CONTROLLER UPON ROSELANDS-TORONTO BUS SERVICE

On the orders of the day:

NAT

John Ritchie MacNicol

National Government

Mr. J. R. MacNICOL (Davenport):

I wish to ask a question of the Acting Minister of 44561-213J

Transport or the Minister of Munitions and Supply concerning a matter of urgent public importance. I have received about twenty telegrams from users of the Roselands-Toronto bus line indicating that apparently some order has been issued by the local transport controller as a result of which users of that bus line are greatly worried. They do not know how they will get to and from Toronto. Perhaps the minister has some information which will relieve the minds of those residents.

Topic:   TRANSPORT CONTROL
Subtopic:   EFFECT OF ORDER OF CONTROLLER UPON ROSELANDS-TORONTO BUS SERVICE

Clarence Decatur Howe (Minister of Transport; Minister of Munitions and Supply)

Hon C. D. HOWE (Acting Minister of Transport):

I have no information with regard to the situation that has been called to my attention. Of course an attempt is being made to eliminate unnecessary bus mileage. I will obtain information from the transport controller and advise my non. friend.

Topic:   TRANSPORT CONTROL
Subtopic:   EFFECT OF ORDER OF CONTROLLER UPON ROSELANDS-TORONTO BUS SERVICE

DAIRY INDUSTRY

CONDITIONS AFFECTING MILK PRODUCTION IN BRITISH COLUMBIA AND ONTARIO

On the orders of the day: *

George Alexander Cruickshank

Mr. G. A. CRUICKSHANK (Fraser Valley):

I wish to direct to the Minister of Finance or the Minister of Agriculture a question which I would have asked yesterday had I been here. The matter is of vital importance to my riding. In view of the threatened strike of milk producers, what action does the government intend taking to ensure a reasonable return to farmers in lieu of a milk subsidy?

Topic:   DAIRY INDUSTRY
Subtopic:   CONDITIONS AFFECTING MILK PRODUCTION IN BRITISH COLUMBIA AND ONTARIO

Georges Parent (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

That question should be placed on the order paper.

[Later]:

Topic:   DAIRY INDUSTRY
NAT

Gordon Graydon

National Government

Mr. GORDON GRAYDON (Peel):

I am quite sure Your Honour must have misunderstood the importance and the import of the question asked by the hon. member for Fraser Valley when you ruled that it was not of such urgency as to call for an answer by the minister.

Topic:   DAIRY INDUSTRY

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Order.

Topic:   DAIRY INDUSTRY
NAT

Gordon Graydon

National Government

Mr. GRAYDON:

I should like to associate myself with the hon. member for Fraser Valley on this question. I wish to ask a question of the Minister of Finance, under whose department the wartime prices and trade board operates. There is an extremely urgent situation, particularly in the Toronto area, where a milk strike is threatened, and I think in the public interest we should have some comment from the minister with regard to a matter as serious as this. I would add my support to the hon. member for Fraser Valley. I wonder if the

Milk Production

administration could not give some public enlightenment with respect to a matter so urgent and important.

Topic:   DAIRY INDUSTRY

Georges Parent (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

The hon. member for Fraser Valley did not state his question quite in the form in which the hon. gentleman has put the matter. I did not gather that a strike was imminent, and I therefore ruled that the question was not properly one that should be asked on the orders of the day. If, however, the circumstances are as stated by the hon. member, and if there is in the Fraser Valley a situation similar to that which exists in the district to which the hon. member has just referred, I would consider the matter one that might require an answer from the minister now. I leave it to the minister.

Topic:   DAIRY INDUSTRY

George Alexander Cruickshank

Mr. CRUICKSHANK:

I did not say that there might be a strike to-morrow in the Fraser Valley, but crossing Canada yesterday and to-day one could find in every newspaper-

Topic:   DAIRY INDUSTRY

Georges Parent (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

I have already left the matter with the minister. If he wishes to reply I have no objection.

Topic:   DAIRY INDUSTRY

James Lorimer Ilsley (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Hon. J. L. ILSLEY (Minister of Finance):

With regard to the Toronto situation, my colleague, the Postmaster General (Mr. Mulock) brought to my attention the circumstances there. As regards these threatened strikes of farmers, I shall have to have some discussion with the food controller and the wartime prices and trade board. At the moment I am not in a position to make a further statement.

Topic:   DAIRY INDUSTRY