January 28, 1942

ST. PIERRE AND MIQUELON DEPORTED NEUTRALIZATION FOR DURATION OF THE WAR

On the orders of the day:

CCF

Major James William Coldwell

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. M. J. COLDWELL (Rosetown-Biggar):

Mr. Speake.r, I should like to ask a question of the Prime Minister. I have not been able to give notice of it, because it has just come to my attention. A report appearing in the New York Times of yesterday, January 27, states that a solution has been reached in London for the neutralization of the islands of St. Pierre and Miquelon for the duration of the war. The article continues:

Canada, it was indicated, will be asked to assume the responsibility for the protection of the neutrality of the islands, and Admiral Muselier will withdraw his small force.

Is the statement contained in that dispatch correct, and if so what is the nature of the solution which has been reached with respect to this vexed question?

Topic:   ST. PIERRE AND MIQUELON DEPORTED NEUTRALIZATION FOR DURATION OF THE WAR

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

The matter to which my hon. friend has referred, as he is aware, is one of very grave importance, and the time at which an announcement in respect of it

should be made is a matter which should be taken into account. I shall be pleased to give the house a statement in the matter as soon as I am advised by the governments of Great Britain and the United States that so far as they are concerned it will be quite satisfactory that a statement on which they are agreed can be made in the Canadian House of Commons.

PRINTING BUREAU

RETIREMENT OF EMPLOYEES FROM SERVICE WITHOUT PENSION

On the orders of the day:

George Russell Boucher

Mr. G. R. BOUCHER (Carleton):

Mr. Speaker, I have a question I should like to ask of the Secretary of State. I am informed that upwards of eighty employees of the printing bureau between the ages of 65 and 70 years are shortly to be retired from the service without pension. I should like to ask the minister if this is so, and if in view of the present state of affairs he would not consider it to be in the public interest to retain the services of all who are still competent to carry on their duties, even though approaching the retiring age.

Topic:   PRINTING BUREAU
Subtopic:   RETIREMENT OF EMPLOYEES FROM SERVICE WITHOUT PENSION

Norman Alexander McLarty (Secretary of State of Canada)

Hon. N. A. McLARTY (Secretary of State):

The hon. member for Carleton was kind enough to give me notice of his intention to ask this question. The figure which he mentioned of 80 employees over the age of 65 is somewhat too high. Actually there are 33 over 65 who are now employed in the printing bureau. The matter of the extension of the term of employment rests primarily with the treasury board. But I believe that under existing circumstances such employment has been continued and, unless ill health intervenes, it will be the policy to continue it in the immediate future.

Topic:   PRINTING BUREAU
Subtopic:   RETIREMENT OF EMPLOYEES FROM SERVICE WITHOUT PENSION

WAGE CEILING

SETTING UP OF REGIONAL BOARDS UNDER NATIONAL WAR LABOUR BOARD

On the orders of the day:

Norman Alexander McLarty (Secretary of State of Canada)

Hon. N. A. McLARTY (Secretary of State):

Yesterday the hon. member for Waterloo South (Mr. Homuth) asked a question about the setting up of regional war labour boards, and at the time I advised him that I thought that these had all been set up. I have confirmed that information. The regional war labour boards, which, as hon. members of this house know, were to be appointed for each province, have all been appointed, the first on December 2 last and the last on January 9.

Sugar Rationing

Topic:   WAGE CEILING
Subtopic:   SETTING UP OF REGIONAL BOARDS UNDER NATIONAL WAR LABOUR BOARD

JOINT DEFENCE

POSSIBILITY OF SENDING CANADIAN SOLDIERS TO ASSISTANCE OF UNITED STATES

On the orders of the day:

NAT

Herbert Alexander Bruce

National Government

Hon. H. A. BRUCE (Parkdale):

Yesterday I directed a question to the Prime Minister and he said that it would have been more appropriate to direct it to the military authorities. I assume that the Minister of National Defence is the highest military authority, and I will ask him whether he is prepared to answer my question. I shall repeat it if necessary.

Topic:   JOINT DEFENCE
Subtopic:   POSSIBILITY OF SENDING CANADIAN SOLDIERS TO ASSISTANCE OF UNITED STATES

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

I think my hon. friend misunderstood my answer if he believes I said that he should not have directed his question to me. Directing his question to me was quite all right. What I did say was that before the question could be replied to, I thought the military authorities of the defence department would have to consider it.

Topic:   JOINT DEFENCE
NAT

Herbert Alexander Bruce

National Government

Mr. BRUCE:

I may have misunderstood the Prime Minister. May I hope, then, to have a reply to the question from him?

Topic:   JOINT DEFENCE

James Layton Ralston (Minister of National Defence)

Hon. J. L. RALSTON (Minister of National Defence):

The hon. member for Parkdale inquired yesterday if units of the sixth division would be available to be sent to the assistance of the United States. That question is a rather large order. Whether they would be available of course would depend upon the military circumstances at the time, and the need for them. There are a great many troops in Canada which might be utilized besides the brigade groups of the sixth division. I want to say to him, however, that the units of these brigade groups would be available if it were considered advisable and necessary to send men to the United States, less any home defence personnel who were in those units who did not volunteer for that duty.

Topic:   JOINT DEFENCE