June 5, 1941

NAT

Richard Burpee Hanson (Leader of the Official Opposition)

National Government

Mr. HANSON (York-Sunbury):

I am

curious to learn how any private firm could make a commitment of this kind without obtaining the wheat from the wheat board, which owns all the wheat in Canada.

Fuel jor Heating Purposes

Topic:   REPORTED SHIPMENTS FROM BRITISH COLUMBIA TO THE FAR EAST IN JAPANESE BOTTOMS

An hon. MEMBER:

NAT

Richard Burpee Hanson (Leader of the Official Opposition)

National Government

Mr. HANSON (York-Sunbury):

I may be incorrectly informed, but my understanding of the situation is that no one can ship wheat without the consent of the wheat board or without obtaining the wheat from the board. This is a large transaction, involving half a million bushels. The wheat board must be in the picture somewhere.

Mr. MACKENZIE KING:

My information is that it is not.

FUEL FOR HEATING PURPOSES

STEPS TO BE TAKEN TO MEET POSSIBLE SHORTAGE NEXT WINTER

On the orders of the day:

NAT

Thomas Langton Church

National Government

Mr. T. L. CHURCH (Broadview):

I should like to ask the government a question with reference to the possibility of a coal famine next winter, and to direct attention to the meeting of a committee which took place in Toronto yesterday at which Colonel K. R. Marshall, president of the Standard Fuel Company of Toronto, warned the committee to expect a fuel shortage during the coming winter. The newspaper report states:

"I know one firm which is already 1,600 carloads short on their orders," Colonel Marshall said. "I foresee a shortage in both coke and fuel oil this winter."

In this connection I should like to direct attention to sessional paper 175C, brought down in this house last month, which I contend is insufficient and incomplete. This return had to do with this very matter of the supply of fuel for the winter, and this question was asked:

Was coal rationed by the government during the coal famine in 1917? If so, under what legislative action or rules and regulations?

What study is being made, or action taken, regarding the use of other forms of heating, as a substitute for coal?

The answers to these questions were not at all satisfactory, and I should like to know if a further study of the question will be made having in mind the full utilization of gas, oil and electrical energy for heating purposes during the coming winter, and also whether any action will be taken following this meeting in Toronto yesterday at which a coal famine was predicted by at least two-thirds of the coal dealers of Toronto.

Topic:   FUEL FOR HEATING PURPOSES
Subtopic:   STEPS TO BE TAKEN TO MEET POSSIBLE SHORTAGE NEXT WINTER

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

I noticed that in asking his question my hon. friend had to make use of information which has been handed to him or which he himself has written out. Sometimes it is a little difficult to tell whether the hon. member is asking a question or making a speech. I am afraid I shall have to ask him once more to let me look at the record before attempting to reply to his question.

Topic:   FUEL FOR HEATING PURPOSES
Subtopic:   STEPS TO BE TAKEN TO MEET POSSIBLE SHORTAGE NEXT WINTER

CHIGNECTO CANAL

QUESTION OF CONSTRUCTION AS DEFENCE MEASURE

On the orders of the day:

NAT

Percy Chapman Black

National Government

Mr. P. C. BLACK (Cumberland):

Is the Minister of National Defence in a position to make any statement with respect to the attitude of the United States and of his department towards the construction of the Chignecto canal as a defence measure, in association with the proposals having to do with the St. Lawrence development?

Topic:   CHIGNECTO CANAL
Subtopic:   QUESTION OF CONSTRUCTION AS DEFENCE MEASURE
Sub-subtopic:   ASSOCIATED WITH ST. LAWRENCE DEVELOPMENT

James Layton Ralston (Minister of National Defence)

Hon. J. L. RALSTON (Minister of National Defence):

I am not in a position to make any statement at the moment.

Topic:   CHIGNECTO CANAL
Subtopic:   QUESTION OF CONSTRUCTION AS DEFENCE MEASURE
Sub-subtopic:   ASSOCIATED WITH ST. LAWRENCE DEVELOPMENT

NATIONAL DEFENCE

INQUIRY AS TO OPPORTUNITY FOR DISCUSSION PRIOR TO ADJOURNMENT

On the orders of the day:

NAT

Richard Burpee Hanson (Leader of the Official Opposition)

National Government

Hon. R. B. HANSON (Leader of the Opposition):

May I ask the Minister of

National Defence if at some stage during the remaining days of the session some opportunity will be afforded for a discussion of the question of national defence?

Topic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO OPPORTUNITY FOR DISCUSSION PRIOR TO ADJOURNMENT

James Layton Ralston (Minister of National Defence)

Hon. J. L. RALSTON (Minister of National Defence):

My hon. friend has mentioned this matter to me already. As he knows, there are still some estimates of the Department of National Defence which have not been passed; apparently these are noted as being for other than war purposes. So far as I am concerned I shall be glad to have any matters which it is felt necessary or desirable to discuss taken up on those items. I suggest that the item covering the salary of the minister might be as good a place as any.

Topic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO OPPORTUNITY FOR DISCUSSION PRIOR TO ADJOURNMENT
NAT

Richard Burpee Hanson (Leader of the Official Opposition)

National Government

Mr. HANSON (York-Sunbury):

That is

statutory, of course, and not open to discussion. When could the discussion take place?

Topic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE