March 19, 1941

SOLDIERS ELIGIBLE FOR TRADE PAT

SC

Mr. SHAW:

Social Credit

1. What are the classifications of those in the armed forces eligible for trade pay?

2. What is the rate of pay for each such class?

3. Are all those holding trade papers eligible for trade pay?

4. Are all those eligible for trade pay in receipt of such pay?

Subtopic:   SOLDIERS ELIGIBLE FOR TRADE PAT

MOTIONS FOR PAPERS

Frederick George Hoblitzell

Mr. HOBLITZELL:

For a copy of all orders in council, reports, memoranda and correspondence between the government and Department of Munitions and Supply and the oil controller, his officers, assistants and employees and associates and consultants m his own or any department of government having reference to the constitution of the oil controller and of his office, or the control of oil or the oil production and supply business or having reference to the maintenance and carrying on of the office of oil controller and the various policies to be pursued by him, or acts, matters and things proposed, done or to be done by him during the years 1940 and 1941 to the present time.

Subtopic:   MOTIONS FOR PAPERS
Sub-subtopic:   OIL PRODUCTION AND CONTROL

Clarence Decatur Howe (Minister of Munitions and Supply)

Mr. HOWE:

May I point out that a considerable portion of the return asked for is privileged, particularly the correspondence between the government and the Department of Munitions and Supply and the oil controller, his officers, assistants, employees, associates and consultants, all those men being employees of the department. Of course, correspondence between the minister of the department with these employees is privileged.

I believe the other documents asked for have already been tabled under previous orders for returns, so that this motion could very well be dropped.

Subtopic:   MOTIONS FOR PAPERS
Sub-subtopic:   OIL PRODUCTION AND CONTROL
NAT

Richard Burpee Hanson (Leader of the Official Opposition)

National Government

Mr. HANSON (York-Sunbury):

May I ask if the recent order in council respecting the powers of the oil controller, and in particular the one which gives him immunity for any act done by him or purporting to have been done by him under any order in council, has been tabled? I desire to call attention to the last section of that order in council, which so far as I know is the most unusual grant of immunity from legal process ever given to any public official in Canada, far beyond any statute ever passed by this parliament for the protection of a public official.

Subtopic:   MOTIONS FOR PAPERS
Sub-subtopic:   OIL PRODUCTION AND CONTROL

Clarence Decatur Howe (Minister of Munitions and Supply)

Mr. HOWE:

I will look into the matter, and if all orders in council have not been tabled I will see that they are tabled immediately.

Subtopic:   MOTIONS FOR PAPERS
Sub-subtopic:   OIL PRODUCTION AND CONTROL

CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAYS

On the orders of the day:

NAT

Richard Burpee Hanson (Leader of the Official Opposition)

National Government

Hon. R. B. HANSON (Leader of the Opposition) :

I should like to ask the Minister

of Transport (Mr. Cardin) whom we are all so glad to see back in his seat-

Subtopic:   CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAYS
Sub-subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO DATF, OF TABLING OF ANNUAL REPORT

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Hear, hear.

Subtopic:   CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAYS
Sub-subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO DATF, OF TABLING OF ANNUAL REPORT
NAT

Richard Burpee Hanson (Leader of the Official Opposition)

National Government

Mr. HANSON (York-Sunbury):

-if he will say when we may expect the report of the Canadian National Railways to be tabled in this house. The fiscal year of the company ended, I understand, on December 31, now nearly three months ago. We should be glad to have the report tabled.

Subtopic:   CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAYS
Sub-subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO DATF, OF TABLING OF ANNUAL REPORT

Pierre-Joseph-Arthur Cardin (Minister of Transport; Minister of Public Works)

Hon. P. J. A. CARDIN (Minister of Transport):

I sincerely thank my hon. friend

for his kind reference to my return, and also the members of the house for their generous approval of the comment.

In answer to his question I may say that I expect to be in a position to table to-morrow the report to which he refers.

Subtopic:   CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAYS
Sub-subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO DATF, OF TABLING OF ANNUAL REPORT

CANADA'S WAR EFFORT

SUPPLIES TO GREAT BRITAIN-QUESTION OF STATEMENT as to Canada's position On the orders of the day:

NAT

Herbert Alexander Bruce

National Government

Hon. H. A. BRUCE (Parkdale):

I wish to address a question to the Prime Minister. Now that the lease-lend bill has been passed and there is no longer danger of being charged with interference in a United States domestic issue, as indicated by the Prime Minister in reply to my question of February 28, would the Prime Minister now consider making a statement informing the United States of Canada's actual position in relation to supplies to Great Britain?

Subtopic:   CANADA'S WAR EFFORT

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

May I say to my hon. friend in reply that I think such a statement might most appropriately be made by Canada's minister at Washington, and I will with pleasure instruct the minister to make such a statement and to do so within the course of the next few days.

I might add that I have noticed in a section of the press some comment upon the fact that Mr. McCarthy on the day of his arrival at the legation did not give out full information in reply to a series of questions asked him by

16S0

Commonwealth Air Training

a large number of representatives of the press who were present at the legation at a gathering called to afford the press opportunity of making the new minister's acquaintance. I would say that I think Mr. McCarthy was wise in not attempting to answer offhand in his first meeting with the press the number of questions presented to him at that time. But I know it was his intention when he left Canada to take an early opportunity to give to the people of the United States, in an appropriate way, the very information to which my hon. friend refers.

Subtopic:   CANADA'S WAR EFFORT

PRICE OF BUTTER

On the orders of the day: Mr. KARL K. HOMUTH (Waterloo South): In view of the fact that there are rumours and newspaper reports to the effect that the government is considering the withdrawal of the pegged price on butter, would the minister care to make a statement to the house in that regard?

Norman Alexander McLarty (Minister of Labour)

Hon. N. A. McLARTY (Minister of Labour):

I believe I should answer the question, as the Minister of Labour is responsible for the contact of the government with the war-time prices and trade board.

I had not heard the rumour referred to by the hon. member and did not hear any discussion of it, consequently I am unable to add to the information which the hon. member already has. By that I do not mean to suggest in any way that such information is correct.

Subtopic:   PRICE OF BUTTER