May 30, 1940

An hon. MEMBER:

He will read it in

Hansard.

Topic:   MUNITIONS AND SUPPLY
Subtopic:   LOAN OF $750,000,000 TO MEET LOANS OR OBLIGATIONS, TO PURCHASE UNMATURED SECURITIES, AND FOR PUBLIC WORKS AND GENERAL PURPOSES
SC

Ernest George Hansell

Social Credit

Mr. HANSELL:

But I do not suppose he will be able to answer my question. He said that the opinions he expressed were the

Government Loan-Mr. Hansell

opinions of his constituents, and his next statement was that they are the opinions of the majority of the Canadian people. What I should like to ask to-night is whether the opinions he expressed are the opinions of the government. If he reads Hansard, perhaps he could answer that privately. Or if one of the members of the government wishes to answer it he can; it would be interesting to this group.

I noticed that while some Liberals sitting behind the hon. member were laughing at his comedy, the Minister of Finance was not laughing. The hon. member is now in his place. He can read my speech so far as it has gone, but I will ask him the question. I noticed that the Minister of Justice was not laughing. The Prime Minister was not in his seat. He has been excused; if he were in his seat he would not have been laughing. The possibility is that he was wrestling with some of the greatest problems that any prime minister of this country has ever had to wrestle with. Yet some supporters of the government can rise in their places and waste the time of this committee-

Vincent Dupuis

Mr. DUPUIS:

What is the hon. gentleman doing now?

SC

Ernest George Hansell

Social Credit

Mr. HANSELL:

My question to the hon. member for Temiscouata, now that he has returned to his place in the house, is this: He said that the opinions he was expressing were the opinions of his constituency and of the majority of the Canadian people. I ask him if those opinions are the opinions of his government?

An hon. MEMBER:

How can he answer that?

Jean-François Pouliot

Mr. POULIOT:

I will let my diminutive friend finish, and I will answer afterwards.

SC

Ernest George Hansell

Social Credit

Mr. HANSELL:

That is quite all right with me. I am beginning to wonder, if when my hon. friend speaks, he really has his feet on the ground.

Jean-François Pouliot

Mr. POULIOT:

I said "diminutive" because the attack was small.

Topic:   MUNITIONS AND SUPPLY

Thomas Vien (Deputy Speaker and Chair of Committees of the Whole of the House of Commons)

The CHAIRMAN:

Order. Will the hon. gentleman please continue?

SC

Ernest George Hansell

Social Credit

Mr. HANSELL:

I have nothing else to say with regard to the speech of the hon. gentleman, except to add this. While he has ridiculed the group in this comer of the house on more than one occasion, we have told the Prime Minister that we are here to help. Any suggestions that we have made with respect to monetary matters have been made with only [DOT] one thought in mind; that is to try to help, to throw some light upon the subject. We

rMr. Hansell.]

are not here to tear down. We are here to build up. We realize that this government has had imposed upon it a responsibility such as perhaps no other government in the history of Canada has had to shoulder. We are here to help, and we resent such ridicule toward this group as my hon. friend has offered tonight. That is all I wish to say.

Jean-François Pouliot

Mr. POULIOT:

I have something more to say. In the first place, tmth hurts. In the second place, I will read a few lines from a book everyone knows, the Parliamentary Guide. This is the biography of the hon. member for Macleod:

Educated at Bible Institute of Los Angeles and Southern Divinity School, Dallas, Texas.

SC

John Horne Blackmore

Social Credit

Mr. BLACKMORE:

Can you match that?

Jean-François Pouliot

Mr. POULIOT:

No, sir; and I am proud that I do not mix politics with religion. Then it says:

Minister of the Church of Christ.

There is one thing the hon. gentleman evidently does not know; that is the commandment of God, "Love thy neighbour."

An hon. MEMBER:

Why don't you practise it?

Jean-François Pouliot

Mr. POULIOT:

I have done so, but I hate the fallacies of utopia. I do not laugh at the hon. gentleman; I pity him, and I regret-

SC

Ernest George Hansell

Social Credit

Mr. HANSELL:

I am not looking for your pity.

Jean-François Pouliot

Mr. POULIOT:

Silence, please. I regret that the hon. gentleman, who has studied theology and the bible-I hope he has not studied only the old testament-

The CHAIRMAN:

Order. I should like to draw the attention of the committee to certain fundamental rules of debate which have been violated time and again during the present debate. I read from May at page 297:

The use of temperate and decorous language is never more desirable than when a member is canvassing the opinions and conduct of his opponents in debate. The imputation of bad motives, or motives different from those acknowledged; misrepresenting the language of another, or accusing him, in his turn, of misrepresentation; charging him with falsehood or deceit; or contemptuous or insulting language of any kind;-all these are unparliamentary, and call for prompt interference.

I do not like to charge one member more than another, but I would draw the attention of the committee to the fact that this rule has not been lived up to constantly during the present debate. I believe this matter is too important to have the debate carried on in any way other than by strict adherence to this rule.

Government Loan-Mr. Pouliot

Jean-François Pouliot

Mr. POULIOT:

Mr. Chairman, I regret very much that such remarks are made only to the hon. member for Temiscouata and are not made to those who say he hides behind the curtain.

The CHAIRMAN:

Order. I have not

addressed my remarks to the hon. member for Temiscouata. I have addressed my remarks to all hon. members of the committee of the whole. I have drawn attention to the fact that during the course of the debate many hon. members do not seem to have adhered to the rule I have just mentioned. Therefore I do not believe that the hon. member for Temiscouata should take my remarks as applying to him more than to any other hon. member. As a matter of fact, I should have made this remark earlier in the debate, but now I think the time has come when the attention of hon. members should be directed to this rule.

May 30, 1940