May 31, 1939

MOTION FOR PAPERS

CAPE BRETON NATIONAL PARK, NOVA SCOTIA

CON

John Ritchie MacNicol

Mr. MacNICOL (for Mr. Clarke, Rosedale):

For a copy of all correspondence, letters, telegrams and other documents, leases or contracts between the government of Canada and any person or company, during the years 1937, 1938 and 1939, in connection with any work undertaken by the government on the Cape Breton national park, Nova Scotia.

Topic:   MOTION FOR PAPERS
Subtopic:   CAPE BRETON NATIONAL PARK, NOVA SCOTIA

Thomas Alexander Crerar (Minister of Mines and Resources)

Hon. T. A. CRERAR (Minister of Mines and Resources):

I would ask that this resolution stand. I note that the hon. sponsor of it is not in his seat.

Topic:   MOTION FOR PAPERS
Subtopic:   CAPE BRETON NATIONAL PARK, NOVA SCOTIA
CON

John Ritchie MacNicol

Mr. MacNICOL:

And the seconder does not know anything about it.

Topic:   MOTION FOR PAPERS
Subtopic:   CAPE BRETON NATIONAL PARK, NOVA SCOTIA
CON

Richard Langton Baker

Mr. BAKER:

Order. I was the seconder. I might know something about it.

Topic:   MOTION FOR PAPERS
Subtopic:   CAPE BRETON NATIONAL PARK, NOVA SCOTIA

Thomas Alexander Crerar (Minister of Mines and Resources)

Mr. CRERAR:

If the hon. gentlemen on the other side will settle the differences between them I might say that there would be involved in dealing with this matter a tremendous amount of work, and I would

suggest to the hon. member for Rosedale (Mr. Clarke) that if there is some special information he desires, it will gladly be furnished, but as the inquiry stands, a tremendous amount of work would be involved in preparing the return.

Topic:   MOTION FOR PAPERS
Subtopic:   CAPE BRETON NATIONAL PARK, NOVA SCOTIA
CON

John Ritchie MacNicol

Mr. MacNICOL:

I must correct what I said. It was not my hon. friend who did not know anything about it. When the Speaker read out my name I was not listening intently, and I did not notice that I was referred to as the mover rather than the seconder. It was myself to whom I referred.

Topic:   MOTION FOR PAPERS
Subtopic:   CAPE BRETON NATIONAL PARK, NOVA SCOTIA

Ernest Lapointe (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Mr. LAPOINTE (Quebec East):

The hon. member is excused.

Topic:   MOTION FOR PAPERS
Subtopic:   CAPE BRETON NATIONAL PARK, NOVA SCOTIA

Walter Edward Foster (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

Motion stands.

INTERNATIONAL LABOUR CONFERENCE [DOT]

Topic:   MOTION FOR PAPERS
Subtopic:   CAPE BRETON NATIONAL PARK, NOVA SCOTIA

On the orders of the day:

CON

Hugh Alexander Stewart

Hon. H. A. STEWART (Leeds):

May I inquire of the Minister of Justice (Mr. Lapointe) whether there is any intention of taking any action in connection with the recommendations and reports which were laid on the table of the house this morning, including an order in council passed on March 7 in connection with the proceedings at the international labour conference? At the same time I should like to know whether there will be an opportunity of discussing them. I do not know whether the estimates of the Minister of Labour (Mr. Rogers) are passed.

Topic:   DRAFT CONVENTIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS- JURISDICTION OF DOMINION AND PROVINCES -OPPORTUNITY FOR DISCUSSION
CON

Grote Stirling

Mr. STIRLING:

No, they are not.

CON

Hugh Alexander Stewart

Mr. STEWART:

Then there may be an opportunity to discuss the matter when his estimates are under consideration. I should also like to know why an important matter like this, dealt with by order in council on March 7, has not been brought to the attention of the house until to-day.

Ernest Lapointe (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Right Hon. ERNEST LAPOINTE (Minister of Justice):

I will submit the question to my hon. friend the Minister of Labour (Mr. Rogers). I may tell my hon, friend that the Minister of Labour has not yet gone on with his estimates, but they are expected to come up either to-night or to-morrow.

With regard to the draft recommendations of the international labour conference, I believe that the government has already done what is within the limit of its jurisdiction. So far as all matters which come under provincial authority are concerned, the recommendations have been already sent to the

Civil Service-Report oj Committee

various provincial governments. I will see to it that my hon. friend the Minister of Labour completes the answer to the questions of my hon. friend.

CON

Hugh Alexander Stewart

Mr. STEWART:

I was a little concerned to know, regarding the matter dealt with on March 7, which appears to be of sufficient importance to be the subject of a statement on the orders of the day, why a statement was not made until the last two or three days of the session.

CIVIL SERVICE'